Clutch won't disengage after replacement - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch won't disengage after replacement

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #31
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblue1555 View Post
When you installed it did you have to pull it in with the bolts?
Against my better judgement, yes I had read not to do it, but did it anyway out of frustration. I justified it with myself at the time by saying I didn't have to crank very hard on the bolts....

Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

You were probably just compressing everything inside the case and stretching your bell housing. I doubt your pilot shaft even when into the bushing. Definitely do not reuse the old bushing. I would say with some certainty that you damaged the bushing beyond repair. Also if you got omix parts there's a good possibility that they sent you the wrong bushing or the on that they sent you was a piece of junk. Check and double check your part number before your re order a new bushing. Im sure some of the guys on here could give you a good quality part number.
I know NAPA offers a pilot bearing (BRG B041) I have not checked the application though. Some will tell you to stick with the bushing (BRG B656). The funny thing is, even NAPA doesn't list the application online (even though your year and model was selected) and the bearing and bushing have different inner and out diameters

Good luck. Evan
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #33
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade578 View Post
What do you mean by "flap"?
Using a small diameter flapper wheel on a die grinder. I touched mine up after I drove the bushing in. Just made sure there wasn't any burs etc.

Did the clutch alignment tool fit into the bushing?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
muddigger95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replace e bushing they are cheap. Before you put it back in try to get that bur out of there even if it takes a will its worth it. Reinstall the new one. If it does it again push it out of the shop and on a straight away start it in gear and rev it up while in gear and let up , do this a few time and it should break loose. Chances are this time it will be just fine. Good luck. Things like that are frustrating.
muddigger95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #35
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

As my Dad says "It will wear in"

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

When you get your new bushing, make sure it fits your transmission shaft BEFORE you install it in the crank.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #37
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter View Post
When you get your new bushing, make sure it fits your transmission shaft BEFORE you install it in the crank.
I'm gonna jump in on this too!!!! Sorry if I'm hi jacking the thread !!!!!
I just did the SAME stuff the op did.... And I too am having the same issues.

I too had a bear of a time getting the trams back in too.

Unfortunately once I got the pilot bushing in the crank the tool would not fit.

Granted I beat on her and got it all back together.... Guess I shouldn't have done that

So if the input shaft on the trans is stuck in the pilot bushing what would the symptoms be?

I was able to adjust the linkage enough to JUST get it to move slightly. Right now I have NO free play in the clutch peddle either.
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #38
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

Well I'm gonna tear mine back apart. Question on the pilot bushing. If I go in with Emory cloth and can open it JUST enough to get an alignment tool in there will that be ok?
I'm gonna get a caliper and see what the size difference is between the trans input shaft and the inner diameter of the bushing are today

I honestly think I may have the clutch disk in backwards too.... This was supposed to be a do it in a day or two job and with family and work it's been like two weeks.

FYI I looked and my disk did NOT sat anything about the orientation.
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.