Clutch won't disengage after replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch won't disengage after replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Clutch won't disengage after replacement

I just finished installing a new clutch. This is my first clutch job, but everything seemed to go somewhat smoothly during the install. After finally getting everything put back together my new clutch will not disengage. I have adjusted the linkage all the way both directions but it doesn't help. The clutch peddle feels normal when I depress it. I felt confident in every step off the install, and it seemed pretty straight forward. I think the clutch plate is stuck too the flywheel, but I don't know how that could have happened. Anybody have any ideas? I really don't have time to pull the transmission again. This is my daily driver and I have a baby coming in a few weeks. I promised my wife I would have the Jeep running before she has the baby. If I can't figure this out I think I am going to have to take it into the shop to get it fixed

Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Did you make sure that you have the ball bearing in place for the clutch fork?

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

clutch plate in backwards? tall side goes out not on the flywheel side.
jblue1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
Did you make sure that you have the ball bearing in place for the clutch fork?
Yes, the ball is in place for the clutch fork. I forgot to mention that I replaced all the clutch linkage.
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I've read somewhere that the some of the new linkage's aren't long enough, specifically the adjustable section that pushes the fork. Have your old linkage to compare with?

Jered
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblue1555 View Post
clutch plate in backwards? tall side goes out not on the flywheel side.
I am 90% sure I put the clutch plate in the right way, but I'm starting to second guess myself. I would think that there would have been other signs if I put it in backwards.
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

The only signs that its in wrong are the spring hat wasnt facing you when you stabbed the tranny and the clutch won't release. It was working before you replaced it ,or was it?
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

I would have doubts the disk is backwards. When I installed mine if I had it backwards it wouldn't lay flat against the flywheel

Jered
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
I've read somewhere that the some of the new linkage's aren't long enough, specifically the adjustable section that pushes the fork. Have your old linkage to compare with?
Mine was like that. I had replaced everything, but the new slave had a much shorter piston and would not disengage the clutch. The "clutch adjuster" was not the same threads as the slave.

So I had to fab something out. Same scenerio with the mechanical systems I've heard. Hopefully this is the issue, and not something that requires opening up the clutch .
hp_lovecraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Okay so I spent about 5 hours tonight troubleshooting and eventually dropping the transmission again. I have confirmed the following:

1. The new clutch linkage is the same length as the original and the problem is definitely not in the linkage.
2. Clutch plate was installed in the proper direction.

Once I had the transmission out I had someone push in the clutch and the clutch plate slid down so the pressure plate is working properly. There was nothing obvious that was wrong. These are the two things I am wondering about:

1. The input shaft on my transmission has a lot of play in it, almost 1/8". I know this is not normal, but how could this be causing my problem? Here is a link to a video.

2. The pivot point for clutch release fork is very wide. It looks like it is like this by design. I ordered a new boot for the clutch release fork, and it feels like it is forcing the fork to pivot from a position that doesn't center it in the opening of the bellhousing. Because of this, the clutch release bearing was slid out it little from the fork. I am wondering if this was causing it to now apply even pressure across the fingers on the pressure plate.

3. When installing the pilot bushing I hit it one too many times and it went about 1/16" past flush. I do know that the input shaft was going all the way into the bushing by looking at the shaft right when it came out. So I really don't think this is an issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
img_20130210_202049.jpg   img_20130210_202445.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

make sure the transfercase is in gear when you try it again. if there is enough drag the trans wont stop turning.
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The throw out bushing being down just a hair is not an issue. Cross that one off.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblue1555 View Post
make sure the transfercase is in gear when you try it again. if there is enough drag the trans wont stop turning.
The transfer case was definitely in gear the first time. I double checked after reading about that happening to someone else.
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
S76
1984 CJ7 

Item 1.
The Play in the input shaft is normal.

If the disc fell down when the clutch was depressed then it is disengaged.

Does the trans input shaft fit the crank bearing well? If it's too tight it could act like this. Can you measure the bushing to shaft clearance? Maybe got the wrong bushing?

Everything else I can think of has been mentioned.
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
S76
1984 CJ7 

Just now saw the bushing pic.

Do you think that pilot shaft bushing could have goten gotten a little mushroomed on the install making it tight on the shaft?

That would keep the input spinning and act like the clutch was not disengaging.

Edit--Does the plastic clutch installer tool still fit the crank bushing well?

Hindsight.......20/20

When you first had the prob. You could have tried to start it in gear with the clutch in. If it's the bushing draging it would have started. If it's truley the clutch not disengaging the Jeep would move on the starter.
S76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.