Clutch Troubles? Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch Troubles? Help!

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2003, 11:45 PM   #1
prthead79

Clutch Troubles? Help!

I have a 79 cj 5 with a 360 that i just finished building and installed. Problem is the clutch(i think) isn't working right. i put a new pressure plate in when i put the motor in. now when i drive it about 100 miles it gets hard to get it in gear at stops, any gear. i adjusted the clutch out and that fixed it for about 100 more miles then the same thing happened. now i have it out so far that when i nail it the clutch slips. i know that the clutch was designed to slip on the jeeps but this is in excess. i can't figure out what is causing the problem and i know for a fact that the adjustments aren't moving. this is not a hydraulic clutch by the way. can anyone help? the pressure plate i put in was not the diaphragm like the original, could this be the problem? i am lost!

prthead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 04:47 AM   #2
KG4PAM

The pivot ball may have come out of its socket. I had the problem you are describing, and found out that the ball was missing. this makes the clutch fork not have anything to rest on, it requires more travel than the adjustments allow. feel around through the fork boot, see if you can find the pivot. it it's gone, most lkely that is what has been your problem. You may need to pull the tranny and glue another in place(pivot ball, not tranny...), or with enough finesse you may be able to replace it through the fork boot. good luck!
KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.