Clutch smoking...adjustment needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch smoking...adjustment needed?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
itsybitsy
1977 CJ5 

Clutch smoking...adjustment needed?

Went off roading for the first time with my '77 CJ5 T-150 this past weekend. I was in a few very precarious spots where I had to abuse the clutch. Abused it to the point it was smoking at one point trying to get out.

Afterwards I noticed that the clutch does not engage until almost realeased all the way out. Where as before it was about 3/4 up. My question is can this be corrected with a simple adjustment or did I burn out my clutch/pressure plate?

Thanks for the advise -

itsybitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Yes and probably!
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
itsybitsy
1977 CJ5 

Yes, it may be fixed with a minor adjustment?
itsybitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would try and adjust it first,
Then put it in 3rd release the clutch and see if the engine revs without moving the jeep. Then you need a replacement.

Reminds me when I was a young punk in my 69 Mach 1 and was doing a little roll back on a burn out but I put it in 3rd instead of 1st. A lot of smoke poured out from under the car but it wasn't the tires, It was the clutch. And a burning clutch smells a lot worse than burning rubber. I barely had enough clutch left to drive it home.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Next time....

USE LOW RANGE!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.