Clutch release fork question! Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch release fork question! Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Clutch release fork question! Help!

I have a T15 transmission and I am finishing up replacing the clutch. When disassembling everything I slid the transmission input shaft out of the bell housing and the release bearing, clutch fork, wave washer, and springs all fell apart. So I didn't get a chance to see how everything was assembled. Now I am stumped. I see how the manual says it should go together but I'm not sure how far the bearing should slide into the fork? All the way? It goes all the way in without the wave washer, but with the wave washer I can't get it to go any further than pictured. Is that as far as its supposed to go? I tried turning the wave washer the other way around with no luck. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

*The wave washer is pictured inside the studs of the clutch fork in the diagram. Sorry its turned sideways.

-Scott

Here you can see it goes all the way without wave washer placed on stud.

And here you can see it wont go all the way on with the wave washer in place.

Last edited by scott-cj7; 12-21-2011 at 02:29 PM..
scott-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

It has to centered in the bell housing opening. If it is one side or the other it will center when you install the tranny. If you knock it off the fork then you have to fish it out and start over. I usually install the bell housing onto the tranny and install them as a unit when ever possible, that way I don't have to wonder if it's right.

Good luck.
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
It has to centered in the bell housing opening. If it is one side or the other it will center when you install the tranny. If you knock it off the fork then you have to fish it out and start over. I usually install the bell housing onto the tranny and install them as a unit when ever possible, that way I don't have to wonder if it's right.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up installing the bell housing on the transmission and then installing the the whole assembly (trans, transfer case, bell housing) as a unit. You're right, it's definitely less of a hassle this way because you don't have to worry about knocking the fork off. I ended up leaving the wave washer off of it. It just wouldn't fit and I couldn't find a write up about it anywhere. I did read that neglecting to put it on the fork can cause the fork to vibrate a little on the throwout bearing. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out!
scott-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj , clutch , release bearing , throwout bearing , wave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.