JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   @^@%!%& clutch release arm pivot ball (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/clutch-release-arm-pivot-ball-1261989/)

bamajeep83 09-06-2011 05:44 PM

@^@%!%& clutch release arm pivot ball

While adjusting the clutch linkage the clutch arm pivot ball fell into the clutch housing. This may be a stupid question but if I cannot get the ball out without pulling the transmission, would it hurt anything to leave it in there? It seems it would be behind the clutch and the flywheel. I know it is a risk but how big of one?

BrandonJames 09-06-2011 05:49 PM

I'd take it out.

mopar346 09-06-2011 06:03 PM

It would become a projectial, it has to come out. Try a magnet through the fork opening and it that is not successful, take the bolts out of the inspection cover to flex it out to gain a little access that way. Either way it has to come out. :2c:

stodg73 09-06-2011 06:04 PM

I would take it out, because you may not know what kind of damage it will cause.

only in a jeep cj 09-06-2011 06:18 PM

Plus, the fork pivoting on the aluminum tower that held the ball will not only destroy that, but the fork will be sloppy and the throughout length will be off. I bet your inner return spring is missing or stretched out and allowed the ball to fall out.

countryman247 09-06-2011 06:55 PM

I had the same thing happened to me. I had to slide the trans back to get it out. I am currently not using the ball because I forgot to reinstall it from changing out the throw out bearing. Don't forget to put it back in it sucks bad everything is sloppy the clutch don't disengage all the way. The pedal has tons of slop I can continue but I think you get the idea

ejeeperguy 09-06-2011 10:09 PM

I just want to use the word bullet.It is about the size of a deer ball round .You get that going inside and bye bye clutch, bell housing, and anything else it wants to come in contact with.

Now the good news pop the starter off. Feel inside you might just get lucky with finding it there.

bamajeep83 09-07-2011 05:36 AM

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about taking the starter off. Good suggestion.

mopar346 09-07-2011 09:23 AM

Great thought on the starter, it didn't cross my mind either.

ejeeperguy 09-07-2011 10:06 AM

Your welcome,
What are Jeep friends for.

Happy Wheeling!!

John Strenk 09-07-2011 10:12 AM

603 Attachment(s)
And if you do have to move your tranny, just put in some long studs in place of the bolts so you can slide the tranny in and out easily. At least enough room to replace the spring and install the pivot ball.

MMA_Referee 11-27-2012 07:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I realize this thread is older but I have something to add. I too replaced my clutch and tranny only to find my pivot ball fell out too. I used an extendable magnet through the fork opening and retrieved the ball. Then I made a tool out of a coat hanger to reinsert the ball without removing the tranny.
I attached 2 pics to show materials and how the tool was used.
I did all this through the fork opening and worked around the exhaust as well. I used a slotted screwdriver to hold fork away since the inside spring worked against me. This created enough room to insert the ball. But, once the ball is in there, I did not want to pull it back out so I wrapped tape close to the bottom before inserting so I could cut it with a razor blade and let it spring apart and away from the ball.
Of all the things I've done, this was the easiest. Oh, don't forget to grease the ball before reinserting as this helps hold it in the post and lubes it too. Also, replace the outer spring going from the fork to the bell housing by the mounting bolts. (Someone else posted a pic of that) My clutch is now working the way it was intended. I hope this helps someone as much as this whole site has helped me.

only in a jeep cj 11-27-2012 07:59 PM

Now that's thinking! and with good pictures too.

OleBlue73 11-28-2012 05:50 AM

It would seem you could remove the flywheel inspection cover on the front, bottom of the bell housing and the ball would be completely visible, if not roll right out. I don't remember the diameter of the ball in comparison with the clearance between the flywheel and bell housing. But at least you would see it and push it toward the fork opening.

Matt1981CJ7 11-28-2012 06:09 AM

Umm...does anyone have a pic of where this "pivot ball" is located? I see it pictured in the exploded view in my Haynes manual, but it's not clear where it installs.

I don't recall having one, when I installed my new clutch, but my clutch operates fine.

Can this ball be installed without dropping the trans?

Thanks,

Matt

The time now is 10:44 AM.