Clutch rebuild problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch rebuild problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Clutch rebuild problem

My brother and I rebuilt the clutch on my jeep. Everything seemed to go back together ok but, we don't have much to go on since this was the first time doing anything like this. We got it all buttoned up except the linkage. When we went to instal the adjustment rod it was about two inches to long. Not knowing any better and figuring that I could buy another one if needed we cut the old one down to fit. After that we put it in place and adjusted the rod and we attempted to use the clutch. It felt very stiff and proceeded to bend the adjustment rod (I think it's the original, very old just like the rest of it). Could it simply be that it is a new clutch and it will be firmer than the old one and just need new linkage? We won't know more till we get the new adjustment arm back on. Any suggestions?

Thanks

__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 9,890
Assuming you used the correct clutch kit, the linkages should have been fine without modification, and the pedal should be normal.

You fubar'ed something.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Assuming you used the correct clutch kit, the linkages should have been fine without modification, and the pedal should be normal.

You fubar'ed something.

Matt
Nice. I guess a couple more days in my brothers shop are in order. I ordered the kit from advance. Not saying they couldn't have sent me the wrong kit but the parts looked the same as the old ones when I compared them. The tranny and xnsfer case went in ok. It was a little bit of a struggle but we were able to put it in all the way without using the bolts to pull it in. The pressure plate is a three prong plate not a diaphragm type so is it possible that the TO bearing is not seated on the prongs properly?
__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
OleBlue73
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: , Tennessee
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido

Nice. I guess a couple more days in my brothers shop are in order. I ordered the kit from advance. Not saying they couldn't have sent me the wrong kit but the parts looked the same as the old ones when I compared them. The tranny and xnsfer case went in ok. It was a little bit of a struggle but we were able to put it in all the way without using the bolts to pull it in. The pressure plate is a three prong plate not a diaphragm type so is it possible that the TO bearing is not seated on the prongs properly?
TO bearing backwards? Fork actually on the TO bearing?
__________________
1973 CJ5, 304, T15, D20
2009 JKU, Rubicon
2005 TJ, X, 4.0, 6 speed
OleBlue73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue73

TO bearing backwards? Fork actually on the TO bearing?
TO bearing is in the right way we did have trouble trying to get the TO bearing lined up to put the tranny back in. It also kept sliding off the prongs but we figured that if the TO bearing slid on the tranny shaft then everything would line up the way it should.
__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One
 
keith460's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 4,726
Did you have the Bellcrank off and possible put it back on the wrong way? Its the device mounted between the engine block and firewall and the grease fitting on it should face downward.

Is the Release Rod Assembly correct?

__________________
.
1984 CJ-7 Renegade
__________________

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
bkeese
Registered User
1949 CJ3A 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clarksville, Maryland
Posts: 574
First, a 3 fingered clutch will have alot more pedal pressure than a diaphram.
Second, are you sure you installed the springs on the disc toward the trans, I've done it backwards and the clutch won't disengage.
Third it has to be the TO bearing/fork to effect the rod like that.
__________________
1985 CJ7 - total customization underway, Sublime green and Plum crazy purple, Ford 9", 258 w/ Holley 475
1985,93 CJ7,YJ - L98 TPI Vette motor, Atlas twin stick, Dana 60s front and rear, Arbs, 39.5 Swampers
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460
Did you have the Bellcrank off and possible put it back on the wrong way? Its the device mounted between the engine block and firewall and the grease fitting on it should face downward.

Is the Release Rod Assembly correct?
The bellcrank tube wasn't taken completely off. We just removed the adjustment arm. When we went to put the arm back on it was about two inches to long so we cut it to fit in. Should u have to depress the clutch fork to install the adjustment arm? If so, how? We can not push the clutch fork in by hand.
__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 9,890
There should be 2 bolts holding the end of the bellcrank to the bell-housing. If you loosen those, the adjustment arm should install easily.

I'm guessing the TO bearing came loose from the fork while stabbing the trans, and the fork is jammed behind the TO.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
There should be 2 bolts holding the end of the bellcrank to the bell-housing. If you loosen those, the adjustment arm should install easily.

I'm guessing the TO bearing came loose from the fork while stabbing the trans, and the fork is jammed behind the TO.

Matt
I will repost next weekend when we get to pull everything off again and see what the problem is. Thanks to everyone for the input. Also, we put the flywheel on then the disk and pressure plate then the clutch fork and TO bearing in the bellhop using and put it on. Then we attempted to put the tranny shaft thru the TO bearing and into the clutch and motor. I saw somewhere where the guy left the bellhousing attached to the tranny and he was able to put the TO bearing and clutch fork on the shaft of the tranny before he attempted to put it thru the clutch and bolt the bellhousing to the motor. Any suggestions on order of install?
__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 9,890
The problem I see with attaching the bell-housing to the trans first, then stabbing the assembly, is it will make the bell-housing bolts virtually impossible to reach. Especially the top bolts.

Due to my inexperience, I had to drop and re-install my trans 3 times in less than a month. The first time, was after an engine swap. The second time was after I realized I forgot to install the pivot ball. The third time was after I realized the alignment pins weren't replaced in the block after re-building the engine.

Each time, I stabbed the trans with the bell-housing already attached to the block.

Good luck, and let us know what the problem was.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
The problem I see with attaching the bell-housing to the trans first, then stabbing the assembly, is it will make the bell-housing bolts virtually impossible to reach. Especially the top bolts.

Due to my inexperience, I had to drop and re-install my trans 3 times in less than a month. The first time, was after an engine swap. The second time was after I realized I forgot to install the pivot ball. The third time was after I realized the alignment pins weren't replaced in the block after re-building the engine.

Each time, I stabbed the trans with the bell-housing already attached.

Good luck, and let us know what the problem was.

Matt
I will thanks for the help! hopefully we will only do it twice. We did learn some tricks to help things go a little smoother so, we will see.

Thanks again.
__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
walkerhoundvm
Registered User
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Little Apple, KS
Posts: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The problem I see with attaching the bell-housing to the trans first, then stabbing the assembly, is it will make the bell-housing bolts virtually impossible to reach. Especially the top bolts.

Due to my inexperience, I had to drop and re-install my trans 3 times in less than a month. The first time, was after an engine swap. The second time was after I realized I forgot to install the pivot ball. The third time was after I realized the alignment pins weren't replaced in the block after re-building the engine.

Each time, I stabbed the trans with the bell-housing already attached.

Good luck, and let us know what the problem was.

Matt
Isn't learning from experience fun?!?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert Palmdale Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 4,449
You sure the friction disc is on the correct way?
LG
__________________
Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Gido
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , Florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits
You sure the friction disc is on the correct way?
LG
Yeah, I made sure the side that said flywheel side faced the flywheel.
__________________
"At first you don't succeed, get a bigger Hammer!"

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.