Clutch questions 79 CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch questions 79 CJ

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

Clutch questions 79 CJ

My son bought a 79 CJ7 all original 304, 3sp. Previous owner had removed tranny to put in new clutch but never got around to it. We have everything except the old clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Advance has 2 different clutch kits listed. How do I determine which of the 2 we need?
Here are the 2:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1251173457____
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1251168221____
Thanks,
Fred

imafishingfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

almost positive ( that and 2 bucks'll get coffee at Starbucks) that it's the Borg and Beck ( 3 finger) style.
Thinking the diaphragm came on later
If you don't get a better answer, better than a coin toss.
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

There were two different size clutches, one 10.5" and one 11" driven plate diameter fitted to CJs. yours should have been fitted originally with the 10.5" diameter, shared with some 6 cyl CJ7s.

The reason I mention this is because there are different cover plates depending on size. You need one that will line up with the holes on your flywheel. From the parts manual it appears the same flywheel was used for 10.5" and 11" clutches on the 6 cyl CJs so either cover plate would bolt up.

As to which one of these will fit, hard to say what the differences are apart from the diaphragm style. I have the second type and it works. Always buy it with a new release bearing.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Either will work, bolt pattern the same and TOB contact the same OR you could up grade to a 11 inch, the flywheel is the same and the bell housing clears without issue. The diaphram style offers less leg pressure, but I agree that it was used later in the CJ run, as I understand it anyway. I switched mine from a 10.5 to a custom built 11 with heavier springs and stayed with the 3 finger style. If you have a local clutch rebuilder left in town go have one built and they should be able to resurface and balance your flywheel as well.

AND 2 buck will not buy a cup of starbucks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.