clutch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > clutch problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Backcountry

clutch problems

Well i got the two year project running again, sounds like a drag car with open headers, and runs like a top. But it dont do any good if you cant put the power to the wheels. I reinstalled the old clutch and flywheel, cause it was a fairly new centerforce, and now the jeep wont even hardly move. It will move on flat ground but when the front tires are pulled up to blocks it stops moving and wont even bog the motor, even in four low! ive adjusted the clutch as much as possible and nothing changes. does this thing need a flywheel shim??? whats causing the clutch to slip this bad?? its been so long since i tore it all down i forgot if it had a shim in it, i know me or my brother never used one and we have had it since 1991. I just want to drive it again!!! any ideas?? by the way its a 72 304 motor, built, 84 frame, 92 YJ tub, and its big and loud ha

Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
SQF1
1976 CJ5 

First two things I would think of is a bad or warped pressure plate or contaminants on the friction surface causing it to slip.
SQF1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Did you acidentally install the disk upside down on the flywheel? One side is supposed to go down instead of the other. I have heard of people having similar symptoms and that was the cause for them.

You said that you reinstalled the clutch that was on there...Did it drive before you took it apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
nussie

are you sure the throwout bearing is fully disengaging? i would check this.
nussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Backcountry

Yes the cluth worked great when took out, and im 99.9 percent sure the plate is in right, although i already thought of this, i still will check it, maybe i was just in to big a hurry to get it running again. As far as the throwout bearing i dont know, i will check this also when i get time, im takin the night off. Its burning me out, turning wrenchs for a living and coming home and doing it is starting to get old. ha Thanks guys i will let you know whats goin on when i figure it out.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.