Clutch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch problems

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 09-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
79CJ54wheeler

Clutch problems

ill start by admitting that i am not too familiar with working on the clutch....just havent had to do much of it yet on my CJ. so the clutch has been grabbing pretty high off the floor and i was having trouble adjusting it (jam nut is between transmission + header = pain in the a$$ to reach) so i took it to a local shop. we ended up dropping the linkage in order to adjust it and they told me that it is all the way adjusted out and that i am due for a new clutch soon. is 6-8 hrs labor on a clutch normal? thats what they told me so now obvioulsy i am thinkin about doing it myself. is any special experience needed or is it fairly simple to figure out the first time. thanks for any input you guys got.

Unread 09-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I can't say on pro labor times. It's fairly simple, but it helps to have a friend at times to line th tranny back up, and you will need to keep track a of bunck of small parts, but check out an FSM or even Haynes for some idea what to expect.

Overall, everything has to be "just right" or it will work like crap.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
79CJ54wheeler

yea i was thinkin a centerforce....atleast thats what ive heard good things about. the whole job dosen't seem too difficult but my jeep is my daily driver so id like to find out about unseen problems now.
Unread 09-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
79CJ54wheeler

ya guys think it could be done in a weekend?
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Centerforce is super expensive.... Try LUK clutches... they work great and they are cheap in comparision...

www.dialaclutch.com
Unread 09-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought a Centerforce and am very happy. Don't go to cheep it you are running big tires or high power. No sense doing the job twice. If you can get a tranny jack it will make your life much easier. I borrowed a tranny jack and did the entire job by myself in very little time. Removed the crossmember with the tranny and transfer case still attached all as one unit. This is a huge time saver. The job could easily be done in a weekend or even in one day or less if everything goes good. As you know this isn't always the case. If you cant locate a jack then have a strong friend with you for help. Keep in mind that you will need to have the flywheel resurfaced at a locate machine shop which will cause a delay in how long the job will take. Maybe if you talk to them in advance they will do it for you as soon as you bring it in so you can have it back in an hour or so. You will also need a special tool to remove the bearing (or bushing depending on what you have) in the crankshaft. Make sure you replace this. Check with your local auto parts store as most will rent a tool to you for a fully refundable deposit when you return the tool. If you can't find one I can give you a couple other ideas on how to remove this without the tool but it will take a bit longer to do. Tool is fast and works very nicely.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I ran a LUK clutch for years... I only replaced it because I rebuilt the motor and had to replace the throwout bearing...so I figured why not?

I run 35"s by the way....
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
79CJ54wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine
The job could easily be done in a weekend or even in one day or less if everything goes good. As you know this isn't always the case.
yea unfortunaly i know how that goes so with a tranny jack and this special tool i should be good to go. thanks for the input, feel a lilttle more comfotable about doing it now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.