Clutch Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch Problem?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
DocZ

Clutch Problem?

Have a 1960 CJ-5. It has a new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing. Shifts great, no gear grinding however when I am in reverse and backing and I push the clutch pedal down, the vehicle stops like I'm putting the brakes on. No noises at all. Any ideas on what is happening?

DocZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
Have a 1960 CJ-5. It has a new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing. Shifts great, no gear grinding however when I am in reverse and backing and I push the clutch pedal down, the vehicle stops like I'm putting the brakes on. No noises at all. Any ideas on what is happening?
How was the tranny before this in reverse?Does it go away immediately after the first time you do this or is it constant?
Have you readjusted the clutch linkage since you put in the new clutch, sometimes you have to adjust the new wear has been my experience.
Also how are your brakes? almost seems like the are sticking and might need to be adjusted by the symptoms.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
DocZ

The Jeep was not running when I got it, so I don't know how it drove before all of the work. Started out as a ground up restoration until I decided to replace the body with a fiberglass unit.
Every time I'm backing and put the clutch in to shift into first it is like the brakes are being applied. The brake shoes, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and brake lines are all new and the brakes work great.
I've done some adjusting but it either causes the clutch to not disengage and the gears grind or it slips. It's really got me stumped.
Unread 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I also would be suspecting the back brakes. Maybe a part fell off in assembly that grabs in the reverse direction? How is the emergency brake? If it's cable is too tight it can cause strange grabs at the back.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
DocZ

Brakes are fine. You can roll the vehicle backwards by hand without a problem. The ebrake is not connected and the shoes have been removed at this time.
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Doc,

You might have a sick reverse in your trans. Next time a bud is over, jack up the rear end and put it in reverse. Clutch should be adj so you have 1 to 1.5" of free travel on the clutch pedal before you feel the clutch. Have friend push in clutch and while in reverse see if the rear wheel spin freely. You may need to block one wheel or just jack up one wheel if you have open differential in rear end.

Sounds like you transmission may be binding in reverse.

Let us know
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
DocZ

Fred,
Did as you suggeted and in reverse the tire will turn but not as freely as when it is in low Only had to jack up one side. What do you think the problem in the tranny might be. I had it all apart and the only thing I could find that I replaced was the sycros. all the gears looked good and the bearings were in good shape. Everything slid back & forth freely. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Face
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What about something binding under the dash actually applying the brakes? A tab on the clutch pedal may be hanging on a spring or something for the brake pedal.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
Fred,
Did as you suggeted and in reverse the tire will turn but not as freely as when it is in low Only had to jack up one side. What do you think the problem in the tranny might be. I had it all apart and the only thing I could find that I replaced was the sycros. all the gears looked good and the bearings were in good shape. Everything slid back & forth freely. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc
Doc,

The comparison would be reverse and 1st not low range. Low changes you gearing and you had more mechanical advantage over the trans when you were spining tire that is why it was easier. 1st & Reverse have very close if not the same gearing. If three is a big difference you are getting closer. Let us know

Since you said you did trans work that point to being closer again. Something is not right???

You may need to take trans out, look again, and post some pics and maybe someone hear can help. Also look for info on your trans and might bet some better pics and info that will help.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Could you have put the gear shifter back in when the tranny was not in neutral so it didn't pick up all the gears? I have heard of that recently on this forum even.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
DocZ

Fred,
Low as in first gear not low range. I'm from the old school where first gear was refered to as low and third as high. It shifts through all the gears smoothly, not a problem. Even when I downshift there ar e no problems. I've checked all of the brake ands when it is on the hoist the wheels spin freely in both directions.
Unread 02-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you're backing up, push in the clutch and pull it into Neutral.. can you feel it free up?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.