Clutch Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch Problem

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-13-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
jrejle

Clutch Problem

I have a 1974 CJ5 with a T14/Model 20 set up with a 258. The other day I got in my Jeep and immediatley noticed the clutch play wasnt right and the clutch grabbed as soon as I released the pedal from the floor. I re adjusted the linkage and everything seemed fine. I was perplexed that all of the sudden my clutch did that. Then after driving around for a while I started having a low frequency vibe in idle and while driving. Today when I got in my Jeep I noticed chattering as soon as the clutch was starting to engage. It engages fine and shifts fine and my low frequency vide has disaapeared but the chattering is consistant. When the clutch is depressed all the way in it goes away and when I let up it starts again. When the clutch is all the way out there is no chattereing. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks Jim

jrejle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2002, 11:17 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles on your clutch now? When you were down there adjusting your linkage, did you notice any wear? Get a flashlight and check it carefully. If your linkage is ok, chances are the pressure plate has taken a dump. My jeep had a lot of clutch chatter when starting from a stop. It got worse the warmer it got. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, t/o bearing and pilot bushing all for about $145. Another $35 to get the flywheel re-surfaced and it's like new now. Good luck.

Or, you could pay someone to do it for you for an average of $400.
Unread 11-13-2002, 11:33 PM   #3
SamFromCO

Just a guess but the rattling could be a throwout bearing or even possibly the clutch fork or the pivot is messed up. No matter if it's the pressure plate, bearing, or fork, it all means the same thing. Ya gotta pull it apart and check it out.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2002, 12:37 AM   #4
scottahicks

if your clutch is old and getting warn out it could be rivits starting to com e through and its not grabing completely but ill say it too PULL IT APART!!! better to take it apart and find out its a bering than to let it go and have to buy a new flywheel

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2002, 08:37 AM   #5
jrejle

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I have a project for this weekend.
Jim
Unread 11-14-2002, 11:57 PM   #6
crotz83

Sounds like a throwout bearing to me .....i had trouble with my NV4500 when i got my jeep....same exact problem.....it was the throw out bearing....and while your at it get a new pilot bushing too....
[B]83 Scrambler[/B], 33" mud terrains, NV4500, Centerforce Clutch, Dana 300, 350 ci, edelbrock 650 carb, 4" BDS springs, ss braid brake lines, currie greasable shackles, OBA-YORK-2.5gal tank, Hood lift

[B]92 YJ[/B], 35" Procomp Xtremes, SOA on stock springs, Heavy duty shackles, TJ long side shaft, JB Conversions SYE, JB4x4.com steering, 4.0l, ss braid brake lines
crotz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2002, 09:44 AM   #7
jrejle

I just finished replacing the clutch assembly. It was the throw out bearing and a bad transmission mount. While I had it apart I replaced the oil pan gasket, the seals in the transfer case, had the flywheel turned, and spent most of the afternoon cleaning the grease and grime from the components. Missed all the football games this weekend but I got all the work done for about $220.00.

Thanks for all the replies.
Jim
Unread 11-18-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Man you work fast

You must have worked all weekend to get this done in such short order. I did the same thing you did but piece meal. I did my oil pan and rear main and took 2 days (not consecutive). I did the clutch but took several days (again, not consecutive). I bought a seal kit for both the transmission and the xfer case and took each one of those to a friend to install. Then I took extra time to find the new tranny stabilizer stud and washers and correct way to install it. It took the machinist two days to resurface the flywheel. So, all in all, my jeep was apart for better than 2 weeks when I did the same project. I guess part of my explaination is that I have a bad disc in my back and have to be careful.

Congrats on getting it going so fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.