Clutch Pivot Ball Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch Pivot Ball Install

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
BigMike20

Clutch Pivot Ball Install

Whoever installed the clutch linkage on this Jeep I just bought should have been shot! It's totally slopped together no bushings, welds here and there...total crap. Because of that the clutch fork is misaligned and has worn my clutch pivot ball down to a stub! I just bought the new $.95 ball but have no idea on how to install it, although I've heard that than the tranny must be dropped. I have a T-150 mated to a Chevy 350 if that matters any. Anyone have experience on replacing this clutch pivot ball?

Unread 09-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
CJ-5

Hhhmmmmmm

If you remove the boot and your outer linkage, you MIGHT be able to slip it in with your 2 first fingers ??
Does your bell have an inspection "hatch" ??
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #3
kaptainkarst

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike20
Whoever installed the clutch linkage on this Jeep I just bought should have been shot! It's totally slopped together no bushings, welds here and there...total crap. Because of that the clutch fork is misaligned and has worn my clutch pivot ball down to a stub! I just bought the new $.95 ball but have no idea on how to install it, although I've heard that than the tranny must be dropped. I have a T-150 mated to a Chevy 350 if that matters any. Anyone have experience on replacing this clutch pivot ball?
The pivot ball is just held inplace ontop of a concave "stud" by the spring tension of the fork arm. I don't know if there is enough room in there to get at it by removing the dust cover that surrounds the fork arm or not. You may be able to use a pair of long forceps to insert the new ball. The worst that could happen is that you can't and you drop the ball which is now rolling around the bottom of the bellhousing....

Thick sticky grease will aid in "sticking" the ball ontop of the pivot stud. You should remove the rod that goes from the bellcrank to the fork arm so you will have the ability to lever the whole arm to gain enough clearance to insert the new ball.

I have never tried this and I think that things will be impossibly tight especialy with exhaust pipes factored in...

If this does not work, a tranny drop is probably the only other solution. If things are as sloppy as you say, this might be a real good time to do that anyway and replace/inspect the clutch and everything else that the other owner messed with and fix it all now (check the pilot bearing).

If you do drop the tranny/transfer case, don't seperate the transmission from the transfer case. You probably have a t150 tranny and a dana 20 xfer. Seperating them will give you hours of pleasure dealing with needle bearings.....

rent a transmission jack for reinstallation. It will be the best $$ you have spent in a while.

good luck
82 complete rebuilt 258 bored 30 over
Holley Fuel Injection
TFI Ignition Upgrade
Headers, Flowmaster
Ford T-18 w/Novak Conversion, Dana 300
2.5" Suspension Lift w/ 2" shackle lift
33" x 12.5" x 15"
Ramsey 8000 Lb Winch with in-cab control
Custom built brush guard with crane attachment
On-board Air, On-board shower, On-board nut
Rear mounted fuse panel w/50 amp service
kaptainkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 11:32 PM   #4
sonoran

I have a good close-up photo showing the bellhousing, fork, clip and pivot ball on my 350. I will email it to you if you want to see it. You aren't going to install it without removing the transmission and bellhousing. You will see why this is so if you take a look at the photo. (My photo is from an 88 Chev 350).

Quote:
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
BigMike20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran
I have a good close-up photo showing the bellhousing, fork, clip and pivot ball on my 350. I will email it to you if you want to see it. You aren't going to install it without removing the transmission and bellhousing. You will see why this is so if you take a look at the photo. (My photo is from an 88 Chev 350).
Yes, your picture might be of some help, I would greatly appreciate you sending it. I enabled the email option in my User Profile, so I guess you should be able to send it? If not let me know, I'll just type the email address here. Yeah, I figured the install would require the removal of the tranny and bellhousing. If I have to do that then I'll wanna put in a new clutch and while I'm at it I might as well get a new Advance Adapters bellhousing so everything works like it should. But now I'm looking at $700-800 in parts. Even if I don't put those new parts in, it sure is a hell of a lot of work just for a 95 cent pivot ball!!! Thanks for your help.
Unread 09-11-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
sonoran

Tried to find your email address in your profile but it does not display there and the "send an email to BigMike20" is disabled.

Quote:
Yes, your picture might be of some help, I would greatly appreciate you sending it. I enabled the email option in my User Profile, so I guess you should be able to send it? If not let me know, I'll just type the email address here. Yeah, I figured the install would require the removal of the tranny and bellhousing. If I have to do that then I'll wanna put in a new clutch and while I'm at it I might as well get a new Advance Adapters bellhousing so everything works like it should. But now I'm looking at $700-800 in parts. Even if I don't put those new parts in, it sure is a hell of a lot of work just for a 95 cent pivot ball!!! Thanks for your help.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
RMP4u

Tranny jack, if you don't want to spend the money on it, you could do what i did, and put a strap over your roll cage tied around your tranny and hook it to another vehicle, click to see

Dude, save yourself the effort and just pull the Tranny/TC it is more work, but in the end you have more room and freedom to get the job done RIGHT!
1986 CJ-7, 4" Deaver Lift, Posi-Lok rear, Trak-Lok front, 4:11 Gears, 33"x12.5"MT/R's, Weber, Flowmaster, JKS, Bilstien, Currie, PIAA, Dick Cepek, CARR, BestTop, Karl's CB, Spicer, Rockhard4x4Parts.com
2004 Wrangler X, Air Conditioning
RMP4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2004, 08:34 AM   #8
Bomzin

So no one has had anyluck getting the bearing in after the fact. Guess what I just got done doing ,. guess what i still got sitting hear on the workbench after clean up , just one part..... can you guess... .....

Neil
Bomzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
lostnwoodscj5

RMP4u, Woah thats crazy but it worked. Never seen that before. I guess the saying is true. What happpens in Vegas stays in Vegas. And no Im just funnin not being a Smart A$$.
lostnwoodscj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
Bomzin

Yes it is possible. Used a 24" retreval tool that grabs along with a very long screwdriver to get it to pop into place. You have to puch the fork towards the top set it in the whole it goes in and with just a little pressure from the screwdriver it will go into place. I was dreading having to tear it apart again.. All is well
Bomzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
jdgus22
1979 CJ7 

I KNOW this thread is VERY old, but I need a PICTURE showing how/where the inner spring on the clutch fork is installed! I don't see anything that it will hook too inside the bellhousing! Please help with pictures!! Thanks!

"Ride It Like You Stole IT"
79 CJ-7...MORE EXPENSIVE THAN MY EX-WIFE!!!!
jdgus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

start at post #52

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...61/index4.html

the tranny must be removed to get to where the spring connects to the bell.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
jdgus22
1979 CJ7 

Mike D.... THANKS! I searched what seems like forever to find EXACTLY this...You are a life saver! Any chance you know, or know where pictures are for the belt diagram....no A/C, power steering for AMC 360 ('75)...

Unread 06-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Glad to help. just passing on that which was tought to me!!
Dont know much about the 360 but here is what i found from a search
304360.jpg  

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
jdgus22
1979 CJ7 

That's the same thing I found...so I'm just going to "roll with it"...

Thanks again...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.