Clutch Pedal Vibration 4.2L 5-Speed Borg-Warner T-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch Pedal Vibration 4.2L 5-Speed Borg-Warner T-5

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

Clutch Pedal Vibration 4.2L 5-Speed Borg-Warner T-5

I've got a 1982 CJ-7 4.2L 5-speed B-W transmission with a new clutch (<4000 miles). The previous owner had it installed so I don't know what brand clutch they installed.
I've had the Jeep for about 3000 miles and I've noticed that the clutch pedal vibrates - and it seems to be getting worse. When the engine/drivetrain are cold, I don't feel the vibration. However, when things start to heat up after a few miles of driving, the clutch pedal begins to vibrate.
I can feel the vibration on my foot if I gently put pressure on the pedal. Pressing the clutch pedal to the floor stops the vibration. The vibration occurs when I'm in gear or in neutral, both stopped and rolling.
Any ideas on where I should start the troubleshooting??

ddumbauld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
bz79jeepcj
1979 CJ7 

My first thought would be the Throw out bearing.
bz79jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the throwout bearing
moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

Throw-out bearing?

Thanks for the responses guys.

What about the throw-out bearing would cause the vibration? Why would it depend on the temperature of the system?

I've never installed one of these before, so could the problem be a parts failure or an installation failure?

How much am I looking at to get this fixed? It's got to be putting a lot of unneeded stress on things.
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, throwout bearings are under a lot of pressure, My first guess as to why it would be the throwout bearing, would be the PO didnt replace it when they put in the new clutch, and even if they did, I have got new bearings that went bad very fast. As for the temperature issue, well it could be that the grease in the bearing, when it gets heated up gets thin probably because there isnt much in there to start with, and without very good lube, well you do the math. I believe more and more that it is the throwout bearing because sometimes when one is just starting to go bad, just a hint of pressure it will make all kinda of vibration and racket, but when put under extreme load, it will go away. And that being the case, that means it will probably be toast soon, but then again it may last for another few thousand miles. Good news is it it does lock up, and your off somewhere, you can always just start it in gear and shift it without the clutch until you get home, avoiding as many stops as possible. That is of course if you can shift a standard without the clutch?
moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

x2 or more on the clutch release bearing. If they had got a "kit" from Checkers or the likes don't waste your time, go get a good bearing and be done with it. I have a 86, same set up and first the pilot bearing was wrong three times and I had replaced the clutch release bearing twice before going and getting a Timken bearing. Twice the price of the china one in the kit but now a firm believer of you get what you pay for.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I have a good relationship with the PO. I'll get some more details on the components he used.

I decided to run the Jeep over to a local shop that does really good work. The mechanic took 1 look at it and said that he thought it might be the throw-out bearing. This was based on experimenting with how far the clutch pedal comes out before the engine stalls (tranny in 2nd gear). After the engine dies out, the clutch has another 5-6 in. of travel before the pedal is completely released. The mechanic thinks that the throw-out bearing might be too far away from the pressure plate when the pedal is out. He said that the bearing should always ride against the plate. If it doesn't - it can sort of rattle around and cause vibration. Sounds legitimate enough. I'll keep you posted.

How difficult is it to replace the clutch and components? Do I need special tools?
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

Clutch needs to be taken apart

Guys,
My mechanic adjusted the pedal travel without any luck reducing the vibration. He has recommended rebuilding it .

What is the best clutch kit to use? Timken bearings are a must, obviously.

Any other components that I should consider replacing while they're in there?

Thanks for all of your help,
Dave
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would first find out what the previous owner did.....

It is expensive to have someone do a re and re on the clutch.

That said, I prefer the stock borg warner clutch and pressure plate, I tried a centerforce type with all the fingers and it burned out one month out of warranty, so I put the old BW pressure plate back in. The cenertforce was also very heavy on the foot with the mechanical linkage.

Hmm, clutch pedal had vibration and dropped down with time. Problem was in the front bearing cap the throwout slides on, the previous owner rode his foot on the clutch pedal and wore a notch in the snout of the cap which hung up the new bearing. I would check for that if you open it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
ddumbauld
1982 CJ7 

Thanks Mike. The shop said they can do the whole thing for $550 (parts & labor, excluding flywheel replacement).

I'm trying to get a hold of the PO to see if this might be under the warranty. Probably not, but if they're a decent shop I would think they could make this right.

I'd spring for the BW parts if the shop we do the labor.

This isn't the type of job I'm equipped for right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.