Clutch Pedal is dead? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch Pedal is dead?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

That is a common OEM part that gets worn to a point of shearing off and is exactly what has happened to yours. The pedal rod will do the same thing so it is best just to replace all parts with new or upgrade with either Oilite bushing for the pivot holes or rod end bearings which are 3/8-24 thread.

And save/replace that little rubber snubber at the end of the rod, it keeps noise from happening as the clutch fork is being worked in & out.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That is a common OEM part that gets worn to a point of shearing off and is exactly what has happened to yours. The pedal rod will do the same thing so it is best just to replace all parts with new or upgrade with either Oilite bushing for the pivot holes or rod end bearings which are 3/8-24 thread.

And save/replace that little rubber snubber at the end of the rod, it keeps noise from happening as the clutch fork is being worked in & out.
Huh? I am pretty new to fixing my own cars and do not know what you are talking about other than OEM parts. I will do a bit of googleing today to see what parts I need to order. If you have some links I would love to check them out.

As always though, I appreciate your response. I have looked over a lot of threads and its great that experienced guys like yourself are willing to offer advise to greenhorns like me.
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
Huh? I am pretty new to fixing my own cars and do not know what you are talking about other than OEM parts. I will do a bit of googleing today to see what parts I need to order. If you have some links I would love to check them out.

As always though, I appreciate your response. I have looked over a lot of threads and its great that experienced guys like yourself are willing to offer advise to greenhorns like me.
You REALLY need to buy a copy of the REAL Factory Service Manual(FSM).
Haynes and Chilton just don't 'cut-it' in details.
LG
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

What are your thoughts on this kit?

http://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-16919...tch+linkage+cj
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

All you need is a 3/8'' Heim joint, threaded rod, and mounting bolt.
LOOK again at Keith's pictures.
LG
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:

That kit is OK. It may have parts you don't need. That appears to be the same or similar kit that Morris sells:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/bellcra...-5360104k.html

This page has a diagram of the clutch parts with pricing for each part (or set of parts). You might be able to find the individual parts you need instead of buying a kit with extra parts:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cl...bler/index.htm

I suppose it boils down to what specific parts you intend to replace. Note that the cams/lugs/tabs/arms (whatever you want to call them) on the bellcrank tend to wear out so you might need to repair or replace that also.

As with any old vehicle, sometimes when you have things apart for a repair it's worth the time and expense to replace other parts in the same area that are known to wear out.
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Thank you for all of your help. I ordered the kit. Upon closer inspection the Clutch Release Bellcrank has one end that has wobbled and opened up to no longer hold a new bolt. Hopefully it will be here in 2 days and I can go wheeling this weekend.
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Be sure to pump the bellcrank full of grease after you install it. This will help keep water out of it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.