Clutch linkage ? after 1' BL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch linkage ? after 1' BL

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Hopper

Clutch linkage ? after 1' BL

So everyone knows this is my first Jeep project.I'm going to put a 1' BL on it.The CJ has a man. trans..I notice that part of the linkage is bolted to the firewall.To leave that bolted on it will angel the rest of the linkage.I like to know what I can do to lower the linkage back to being straight again.Thanks

Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

this to the body part

the steering shaft will have to come out some to and watch your raddy fan to the shrould - and you might have to cut your floor to let the tc shift right too
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Hopper

It seems the bracket bolted to the firewall needs to be lower and the arm to the clucth peddle would have to be longer.Is that what I have to do?

Last edited by Hopper; 09-19-2005 at 11:12 AM..
Unread 09-19-2005, 03:36 AM   #4
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

yes what i had to do
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
capeless

Your scaring me.

I have a Daystar 1" BL half installed and it didn't say anything about that in the instructions.

I ran out of time last night but got all the drivers side bushings in. The passenger side bolts and the front bolt under the radiator are loose just waiting for me to get home from work to finish.

What did the directions leave out that I am going to have trouble with? There is no fan shroud so that part shouldn't be a problem. What are the torque specs?

Just to add...

I broke 2 bolts, one on each side, while taking the old body bushings out. They were the bolts toward the rear, same on each side. I was fortunate enough to be able to cut the bolts flush and drill a new hole. I used a nut and washer and squeezed my fingers inside the body brace.

Man, this thing is a pain in the ***
capeless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need to modify any part of your clutch linkage for a 1" body lift. In fact, you don't have to modify anything at all, unless you break a bolt off or spin the nut, and maybe the fan shroud. I don't know about the shroud, I use an electric fan.
Unread 09-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Hopper

I had to weld a piece of metal onto the bracket,drilled a hole about an 1" higher from the top bolt hole in the bracket and another about an 1" up from the bottom bolt hole.Using the same two bolts that come out the fire wall.Also had to add to the long clutch rod.I had to cut to the rod(3" down from where it connects to the top of the clutch peddle arm)and welded a piece in about 3/4 of an inch long.That had straighten the arm that gets pushed down and pushes in the clutch.Before I had did this mod the arm was on to much of an angel and it was binding up.I also had to cut the shifter holes back alittle.It would hit shifting to 2nd,4th gear and rev.

Last edited by Hopper; 09-20-2005 at 10:44 PM..
Unread 09-21-2005, 01:05 AM   #8
RARECJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeless
Your scaring me. Man, this thing is a pain in the ***

Good golly, that has to be the understatement of the century! Welcome to CJ land! hahaha. Seriously, owning a CJ will own you, $$ wise, time and frustration. But it's all worth it when u go out on the trail and do better than before. Upgrades and repairs and regular maintenance are a fact of CJ life.

i have the mechanical clutch and added the heim joint replacement kit, junking most of the OEM stuff. i think it was speed shops.com or something like that-- under $60 and worth every penny. No more binding up in flexy situations and no more jamnut popping and dropping out of place when u need ur clutch the most.

I originally bought all the hydro conversion kit from 4wd.com, but after adding the navajo brake booster from harold off, the clutch master cyl will not fit. so if anyone cares, i'll unload the entire NIB kit for cheap!

anyway, look into the heim joint replacement kit-- u'll be glad u did now, not later when the clutch rod finally wears thru (and it will over time) and ur SOL out on the trail.

pix upon request.

mb

Edit: here is one option:

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id/15846

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.