Clutch help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch help please

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
FishinMagician
1986 CJ7 

Clutch help please

86 CJ7 2.5L I-4. I ordered a new clutch kit and when I went to install it, the pressure plate bolt holes wouldn't line up. The holes on my old pressure plate measure 5-7/16" and the holes on the new one measure 5-1/4"
The clutch is identical at 9-1/8" 14 spline and the throw-out and pilot bearings are identical. I had the part store look up a clutch for a 1985, but it measures 9-11/16" so I'm sure that won't wok. I'm thinking this clutch kit was either made in china or packaged with the wrong pressure plate. Any ideas?

FishinMagician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
gojeepgo
1981 CJ7 

Are you sure that is the original engine in your CJ? Maybe different years had different flywheels? If not then the clutch kit could be packaged wrong.
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Take YOUR PP you pulled off and go to NAPA.
Stop buy'n stuff 'sight-un-seen'.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
FishinMagician
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Take YOUR PP you pulled off and go to NAPA.
Stop buy'n stuff 'sight-un-seen'.
LG
Good idea. I usually don't have problems with the parts I order, but once is definitely enough. I wanted to get the old heap on the road tomorrow.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
FishinMagician
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepgo View Post
Are you sure that is the original engine in your CJ? Maybe different years had different flywheels? If not then the clutch kit could be packaged wrong.
Yeah. It's the original AMC I-4. I'm convinced that I got china's finest...lol.
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
FishinMagician
1986 CJ7 

Update:

Well, I ordered another clutch set thinking it was packaged wrong, but it wasn't. I still have the same problem with the pressure plate not bolting up. I checked to make sure it's the original engine, and by all accounts, it is. Any more ideas as to what might be going on here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.