Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clutch hard to engage

409 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  james04si 
#1 ·
PO has installed a Custom hydraulic clutch linkage with a new clutch and pressure plate. Clutch is very hard to push to shift gears. Any ideas how to make it less of a pain?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple of things come into play on hydraulic setups. That looks like a basic master, but is that a copper line? It also looks like another union just below the steering shaft. What's the ID of the line? If you have a small tubing ID, it's going to take extra effort to move the fluid. What kind of slave cylinder is being used? It could be something wonky and the motion isn't as linear as it could be. There are usually different bore sizes between the master and slave, IIRC the master was 3/4" and slave was 7/8", but don't quote me as it's been many years since I have had to do anything with mine. Mine use to be very smooth and easy until I have to replace the slave a few years back. Ever since then, it gets stiff and builds pressure from the exhaust heat. I fabbed a heat shield which solved a majority of the issue. Crack a bleeder and see if it's retaining pressure too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.