clutch fork removal help needed 78 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > clutch fork removal help needed 78 CJ5

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
hansw3
1978 CJ5 

clutch fork removal help needed 78 CJ5

I have not been able to pull the clutch fork on my 78 cj5. How can you separate the fork far enough from the throwout bearing to get the two pins out of the bearing? With the boot removed I can see the throw out bearing. I've put various size screw drivers and pry bars in there. I've also tried inserting them with a come-along disengaging the clutch by pulling the fork back. No luck. I'm pulling my hair out on this one. Surely somebody has a solution short of pulling the entire tranny and bellhousing out in one piece. Then I could pull the fork out with the bearing stuck to it. I really don't want to do that! Any ideas are appreciated.

hansw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
T18A
1977 CJ5 

----------

Last edited by T18A; 05-16-2008 at 01:28 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
hansw3
1978 CJ5 

fork removal

Plan B is to pull the tranny as you mentioned.

I have to remove some material from the clutch fork. It is contacting the Chevy pressure plate. I have advance adapters bellhousing w/Chevy V8 and T-150 put together. I noticed the jeep fork contacting the pressure plate when I first set the thing up and removed some material to get clearance. Since then it has started hitting again, either the fork settled into place or something is bending.
hansw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.