Clutch fan vs. no clutch fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clutch fan vs. no clutch fan

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
kurty65
1983 CJ7 

Clutch fan vs. no clutch fan

Ok, today is the day that I'm dedicating the whole day to working on the jeep (1983 CJ 7) , even though its hot as hell out.
While mounting the nose on, I noticed the radiator is hitting the fan clutch, so do I get rid of the clutch and fan and just go with fan or do I keep it and change out the radiator? Thanks Kurt

kurty65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

I had the same issue. I went with the non-clutch fan. I have no over heat issues.
The non-clutch fan is a different fan
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

There seems to be a lot of confusion when people try to replace cooling system parts on our older Jeeps. It's not just swapping out one part with a different type as fittment and compatibility come into play. The three major factors is depth of water pump/ pulley combo, fan clutch or fixed fan, and radiator depth and shroud. All three need to match in order to work together with proper spacing.
If your radiator is hitting or too close to the clutch, I would guess your either have a fan clutch when you shouldn't OR you have a radiator for a fixed fan system when you should have a deeper offset one for the clutch. Do you have a shroud? Those are mainly used and come with the fan clutch system

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
kurty65
1983 CJ7 

I have both options, I have an offset radiator, but it still needs to be flushed and tested. The fatter radiator is all ready to go, so I was wondering if I should stick with that or take the time and use the offset radiator. Is one better than the other when it comes to keeping the engine cooled down.
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

Cheaper fix is to go with a fixed 4-blade fan, but the clutched fan is supposed to be more efficient. It only spins at full force when needed and won't continuously fight the incoming air at highway speed. I originally had the fixed fan and 3-core center cap radiator on my truck and converted it to a clutched fan and 2-core offset cap radiator. No real difference in cooling performance from what I can tell. Only difference is sound - no more famous fan whine (a la Mash Jeeps). I suppose it's helped my mileage too, but I really only did it to modernize things since I was replacing the radiator anyway. As Ed said, the clutched setup is designed to be paired with a different shroud and the thin and dense 2-row radiator with the cap offset to the driver's side and those aren't cheap. That style radiator will have brackets that position the radiator deeper into the grill to provide the extra space for the clutch.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

My personal preference is the fixed 4 blade. It also uses a small aluminum spacer for those that don't know. I use an aftermarket 3 core center cap radiator and no shroud. Wind flow through at high speed is fine, cooling is constant, and no real fan noise.
I guess I've seen clutches crap out and don't like the weak link ( as I view it)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
kurty65
1983 CJ7 

Well I think I will send the 2 core radiator out to be tested and hope its good, because I already have the clutch and fan mounted on the motor. If it doesn't pass the test, then I'll go back to the original radiator and no clutch fan. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure ill be back with more ?'s Kurt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.