Clutch bellcrank inquiry - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chromegrille

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
68JalopyCJ5
1968 CJ5 

Clutch bellcrank inquiry

So as usual with my V6 cj5 something is causing me to not drive her. One of the previous owners was messing with the clutch bell crank and tool all the spings and felt pads out and welded one of the swivel ball points, and now it yanks off the bellcrank if you dont shift absolutely perfect every time. I cant find any kits with all the parts anywhere. Theres plenty of 4cyl kits though. Would i be able to buy a 4cyl kit and a v6 bellcrank and have it work the same?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

post #3 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The V6 came with a cable style clutch linkage. These were prone to breaking (all the time) so many folks tried to fab earlier linkages in there.
http://walcks4wd.com/clutch-cable-cj...-1-4-long.html

Your CJ may have had a V6 installed in place of the 4 and the PO simply left the original linkage in place.

there are a number of home made linkages out there. Mine is a double bellcrank assembly that is bolted to the frame.

The best bet is the chain drive that AA offers (see chromegrille's post).

Be sure to check the torque pad on the t case. The V6 can put out some (relatively) serious torque and the t cases have a habit of moving around a lot. This can effect some of the clutch linkage set ups.

bazinga

post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

I made my own bell crank. Was thinking of going hydraulic with my sm465, but decide to try building one. Cost was less than $10, even uses a grease zerk.

Sleeved black pipe. Inner pipe is the pivoting assembly, outer is welded to plate for mounting to the body. There are outer pipe rings welded to the inner assembly pipe on either side of the outer mounting pipe, to position the inner assembly. Works very smooth and much stronger than stock.
Attached Images

post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Kevin, 71's and earlier have the pedals going through the floor.
However, if you were to mount that to the bottom of the frame and lengthen the bell arms, it would look a lot like my setup.

bazinga
post #6 of 7 Old 10-29-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
68JalopyCJ5
1968 CJ5 

Emergancy brake

Does anyone have a picture of the original parking brake on a 68 cj5 or something that has a similar setup. I aquired my jeep with most of the setup missing, remainig parts are the functional drum and lever coming off of it. Every google search ive tried comes up with brake components from different years, so if you have a link thats also appreciated. Thanks!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-29-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
68JalopyCJ5
1968 CJ5 

Dang ignore that, wont let me delete it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.