Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which Clutch?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  fatterman 
#1 ·
When I drop/replace my tranny (T176) I'll also be swapping out my clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bushing and flywheel/teeth. I'm still in the planning stages and have a few questions:

On the Quadratec site, there are different clutches for different years with the same motor. I've got a '78 304 in my 83 CJ5, I'll assume I need the 78 clutch(?)

I'm still deciding if I want to try to do this myself or pay someone to do it. Are there any pointers you guys might have? Did I forget anything?

#6 ·
cormech said:
If you go to most parts stores and tell them you need a clutch for a jeet T-176 with a 304 they will look at you like your crazy. Tell them the year that the tranny came out of and you will be sure to get the correct clutch.
Yeah exactly. Problem is, I dont know what year the tranny is... the engine is a 78. The reason Im so confused is that Q-Tech has Clutches for years 80-81. What is special about 80-81? Not 76-83. Thats why Im confused... I'll just give them a call.

#8 ·
Since the T176/D300 were swapped into your Jeep, I'd just tell them you have a 1980 CJ with 304/T176 combo.. then, just double check the clutch disk on the tranny input prior to installing it to make sure it fits.. same with the throwout bearing and pilot bushing. Nothing sucks worse than wrestling around with a tranny on your chest for 2 hours only to find out the pilot bushing is the wrong one..

#10 ·
BESRK said:
Since the T176/D300 were swapped into your Jeep, I'd just tell them you have a 1980 CJ with 304/T176 combo.. then, just double check the clutch disk on the tranny input prior to installing it to make sure it fits.. same with the throwout bearing and pilot bushing. Nothing sucks worse than wrestling around with a tranny on your chest for 2 hours only to find out the pilot bushing is the wrong one..
yeah thats what I was thinking. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.