Clunking in front end!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clunking in front end!!!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-07-2002, 09:57 PM   #1
XJGoody89

Clunking in front end!!!

My dad has an 79 CJ7 with 33x14" boggers. After havin them on about a week we started to hear a clunking sound in the front end whenever its in 4wd. It sounds like it clunks when the wheels do a half turn. We have replaced the u-joints in the axle shafts and it still does it. Does anybody have an idea as to what it could be? Driveshaft? Differential? Transfer Case? Please Help!!!

89 Cherokee Pioneer - I-6 4.0 Litre - 5-Speed Manual - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - 3" Pro-Comp - 1.5" Shackles and Spacers - 4.5" Total - Skyjacker T-case Drop (Future SYE) - Pro-Comp ES3000 Shock - 33x12.50 Boggers (just got'em) - Member of Independent Off-Road Bowling Green, KY
XJGoody89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:31 AM   #2
onesojourner

i had a loud clunking in my 79 a few months back when it was in 4 wheel drive. it turned out my front diff was shot had to replace all the gears in it.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
rivertrout10

I had a similar problem with my Jeep - the problem turned out to be a broken tranny mount. With that mount broken the tranny and t-case were able to slide a little from side to side which allowed the front drive shaft to bump into something (I forget what it was hitting now). I replaced the broken mount and the problem was solved. Just an idea.

Good luck,
Derek
Unread 11-10-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
cj5mudman4x4

Man XJGoody, your XJ sounds awesome, I have a friend with a 89 XJ but he just ran his into a telephone pole.
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:56 PM   #5
XJGoody89

cj5mudman4x4 you are a funny guy
89 Cherokee Pioneer - I-6 4.0 Litre - 5-Speed Manual - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - 3" Pro-Comp - 1.5" Shackles and Spacers - 4.5" Total - Skyjacker T-case Drop (Future SYE) - Pro-Comp ES3000 Shock - 33x12.50 Boggers (just got'em) - Member of Independent Off-Road Bowling Green, KY
XJGoody89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.