"Clicking" noise when driving - sounds like it is coming from the front - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

"Clicking" noise when driving - sounds like it is coming from the front

I rebuilt my front axle several months back. Seemed fine for a while, and now I hear a "clicking noise" coming from the front. The noise sounds like it is sequential to the tire revolution.

I dont think it has anything to do with the drive line because I have put the tranny in neutral and coasted down the road and the noise is still there.

What do you all think?

I am a little stumped because I made sure to pack the wheel bearings pretty good, so I dont think that is the problem either. I also cant tell if it is coming from the driver side, passenger side, or both???

1986 CJ7 Laredo - Auto 14k miles
1985 CJ7 Renegade - Auto 33k miles
1982 CJ8 Scrambler - T5 T-SPD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
flashawk

1979 CJ5 

Do you have front disc brakes? If so, what kind of shape are you're anti-rattle clips in? I had a similar issue because I left those clips off completely.

Just a thought, anyway.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 AM
ecvMatt
1966 CJ5 

It could be the driveshaft u joint, even if its in nuetral, with the hubs unlocked, it can still spin, if you put a TON of grease in there it will spin. However, if it seems to coincide with tire rotation, I'd check the axle u joints too. Nail in the tire?

jack it up and spin em, see if you can't narrow it down a bit. There really arent too many moving parts if the hubs are unlocked. wheel bearings, knuckles and rotors.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
It could be the driveshaft u joint, even if its in nuetral, with the hubs unlocked, it can still spin, if you put a TON of grease in there it will spin. However, if it seems to coincide with tire rotation, I'd check the axle u joints too. Nail in the tire?

jack it up and spin em, see if you can't narrow it down a bit. There really arent too many moving parts if the hubs are unlocked. wheel bearings, knuckles and rotors.

Good luck!
The front driveshaft could still spin, even in neutral and the t-case not in
4wd? I didnt know that. I will check in on it.

Also, I dont think the axle u-joints are spinning either because if I remember correctly, the wheels are just sitting on the spindle and when 4wd in engaged, that is when the axles spin.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I am not certain.

As always, thanks for all the help guys.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
ecvMatt
1966 CJ5 

As the wheel spins, the grease in the wheel bearings is often enough to get the axles spinning(centrifugal force), then the driveshaft(even with the hubs unlocked), it's doubtfull though, that it would be that consistant.

Jack it up, only one wheel, leave the other on the ground. spin, note what happens. Switch sides, repeat and compare. check tires for balance and wierd wear or bubbles. make sure hubs are unlocking properly.

Does it had a locker or LSD in the pumpkin, they can make noise too. Check fluid level of RnP.

Can you feel it in the wheel or in the brake pedal? try driving it with the clutch foot lightly resting on the brake pedal, can you feel it pulsating with the clicking, this could indicate a problem between the pads and rotor.

there really isn't too much between the Tcase and the tires, take your time, work out to in or in to out methodically and the problem, and hopefully the solution, should present itsself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Rock or pebble or nail in the tire?

85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post

Jack it up, only one wheel, leave the other on the ground. spin, note what happens. Switch sides, repeat and compare. check tires for balance and wierd wear or bubbles. make sure hubs are unlocking properly.

Does it had a locker or LSD in the pumpkin, they can make noise too. Check fluid level of RnP.

Can you feel it in the wheel or in the brake pedal? try driving it with the clutch foot lightly resting on the brake pedal, can you feel it pulsating with the clicking, this could indicate a problem between the pads and rotor.
Differential is topped with fluid, so I know thats good.

I havent tried riding the brakes quite yet, but will give it a shot this evening. I also like the idea of jacking up each of the front wheels seperately. Wouldnt have thought of that.

Oh yeah, already checked for rocks, etc. and didnt see anything

post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
nsargeant
1974 CJ5 

I had a tapping coming from the front of my wrangler consistent with the wheel rotation. It turned out to be a u joint.

nathan
post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
twmattox

It can be a bad wheel bearing too...I had that happen once...
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
ky81cj7
1981 CJ7 

have you taken your hubs apart and greased them lately? Mine made a clicking sound till I greased them. This should be done every couple years.Use white grease.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky81cj7 View Post
have you taken your hubs apart and greased them lately? Mine made a clicking sound till I greased them. This should be done every couple years.Use white grease.

Good thought. I will give it a shot this weekend. Thanks

post #12 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
chiliman77
1981 CJ7 

My YJ does the same thing... ill have to check those u joints

'81 CJ7 4.0 "HO", 33" on a 4" suspension lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.