Clay's Build Thread - Page 96 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Reply
Unread 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #1426
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
looks like that glass is coming along nicely, good work.

cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #1427
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
*Update*

Hey Fellers!

We've decided to bag this Jeep and get an F150 for Clay. NOT!!

I have a buddy at work who builds airboats on the side. I was picking his brain about fiberglass work and generally complaining about the expense of resin ($35/G). He said, "Shoot, Scott... I throw out better'n a gallon everday!" So I offered to buy his excess resin and scrap glass (at a substantial discount of course... I mean, I was going to provide the jug!), which he readily agreed. COOL, says I! BUT, he says, "Whyn't you jus bring the tub to th house, and we'll bead blast it, and shoot underneath it, and inside th tub with th chopper gun, then we'll gelcoat and nonskid it and web it out!?" So I asked him to twist my arm and make me! It'll probably be a couple weeks before we get it there. He said I could do the work and he'd just supervise. I CAN'T WAIT!! We're just stripping the tub and doing anything to aid in the prep.
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1428
SonicR1
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CenCal
Posts: 1,496
Man, that doesn't happen all that often on this coast!!! Hehehehe. Very nice!!'
__________________
[COLOR="Red"]... I guess I'm gonna have to fix that too…….[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #1429
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,712
Hope he didn't hurt your arm.

That sounds like a great deal. Explain gelcoating to me Scott and the nonskid surface. I got one of them non skid surfaces on my hood where the sand got into the por15!!
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #1430
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Man, that doesn't happen all that often on this coast!!! Hehehehe. Very nice!!'
Although he hasn't actually said "No Charge" he is making it sound like I can't pass it up. We'll soon see. It will make the glass work go sooo much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hope he didn't hurt your arm.

That sounds like a great deal. Explain gelcoating to me Scott and the nonskid surface. I got one of them non skid surfaces on my hood where the sand got into the por15!!
There is a bright side Jim... when you hop up to sit on your hood, you won't slide off!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #1431
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
*Update*

Hey Fellers!

We've decided to bag this Jeep and get an F150 for Clay. NOT!!

I have a buddy at work who builds airboats on the side. I was picking his brain about fiberglass work and generally complaining about the expense of resin ($35/G). He said, "Shoot, Scott... I throw out better'n a gallon everday!" So I offered to buy his excess resin and scrap glass (at a substantial discount of course... I mean, I was going to provide the jug!), which he readily agreed. COOL, says I! BUT, he says, "Whyn't you jus bring the tub to th house, and we'll bead blast it, and shoot underneath it, and inside th tub with th chopper gun, then we'll gelcoat and nonskid it and web it out!?" So I asked him to twist my arm and make me! It'll probably be a couple weeks before we get it there. He said I could do the work and he'd just supervise. I CAN'T WAIT!! We're just stripping the tub and doing anything to aid in the prep.
Do us all a favor, Scott, and bring your camera. This process sounds intriguing. What media will you use for the bead blasting...regular fine, glass bead, or something more gentle, like soda blasting?

After you shoot the tub with the chopper gun and re-gelcoat, will you have to drill all new holes for tub-to-frame mounting, steering column, etc?

I don't blame you for being excited. That's a great opportunity!

Rich
__________________
'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #1432
Scott3140
Junior Member
 
Scott3140's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Posts: 74
Hello anybody home? Whats going on?
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #1433
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Do us all a favor, Scott, and bring your camera. This process sounds intriguing. What media will you use for the bead blasting...regular fine, glass bead, or something more gentle, like soda blasting?

After you shoot the tub with the chopper gun and re-gelcoat, will you have to drill all new holes for tub-to-frame mounting, steering column, etc?

I don't blame you for being excited. That's a great opportunity!

Rich
Rich- I don't know what media he will use to bead blast it. Depending on cost, we will maybe sand it all ourselves. I expect to have to redrill/cut all the holes, but the glass is pretty much transparent, so you should be able to see where they are. If we do indeed gelcoat it, then we'll have to remeasure everything, which we should probably do anyway! We'll definitely have a camera!! I was researching chopper systems and they're awfully expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
Hello anybody home? Whats going on?
Hey Scott... my buddy told me yesterday he would try to get over to my house to see the tub sometime this week. So I'm waiting on him. He's real busy right now, which is good for him, but it's killing us!

For some reason I'm not getting consistent notices that there are new posts to this thread! Sorry I have been missing them, Guys. Clay an I were going to do some "other" CJ work over this past long weekend... tack on the rear crossmember, install fuel tank, clean up swaybar and install new bushings, etc, etc, but the dang well went out Sunday afternoon, and our plans were shot! Let's see... A/C three weeks ago, well Sunday (needed new pump and motor), and fridge last night! What gives??
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1434
Scott3140
Junior Member
 
Scott3140's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Posts: 74
Hang in there, good things are coming.
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #1435
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Clay an I were going to do some "other" CJ work over this past long weekend... tack on the rear crossmember, install fuel tank, clean up swaybar and install new bushings, etc, etc, but the dang well went out Sunday afternoon, and our plans were shot! Let's see... A/C three weeks ago, well Sunday (needed new pump and motor), and fridge last night! What gives??
You started out your weekend with good intentions
But didn't get anything done cause of interventions
Now you've still got the work to do
Another weekend coming in which to pursue

__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #1436
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You started out your weekend with good intentions
But didn't get anything done cause of interventions
Now you've still got the work to do
Another weekend coming in which to pursue

Hey that's GOOD Jim... how long did you labor over this??
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #1437
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Hey that's GOOD Jim... how long did you labor over this??
Don't ask.
__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #1438
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,279
Nope, nothing over here either!
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 05:35 AM   #1439
Eaglekeeper
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl
Posts: 828
Scott, just catching up on your build. Curious to see the glass work. Did you get lucky and get some rain the last couple of days where you are. 6 inches here in last 36 hours...
__________________
86 CJ7, 258 Engine, T-177, Dana 300.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/let-games-begin-new-build-86-cj7-1046943/[/url]

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #1440
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Nope, nothing over here either!
Sorry dave... We're stuck in LIMBO right now! Still waiting on my friend to do what he said he would do, which is one heck of a simple concept. We'll wait a couple more weeks to see if this is going to happen. If not, we'll just get back to work. I'm tired of waiting. CLAY is tired of waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott, just catching up on your build. Curious to see the glass work. Did you get lucky and get some rain the last couple of days where you are. 6 inches here in last 36 hours...
SSDD!! We have not had any rain for a long time. Temps are soaring. Dog Days will be rough. The grass, hedges, shrubs, Crepe Myrtles are all wilting and dying. I have a feeling that whe the rain DOES come it will come BIG! The Suwannee River is so low that you would have to roll around in it to get wet!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.