BEWARE! Lots of pics ahead...
In spite of the foul weather today, Clay and I got some real good work done. We would STILL be working but Mom kinda killed the desire! She put a pork loin on the smoker.... it is the last of Clay's hog from the early pics on this thread.
Clay and I figured out how we were going to create a reinforced mount area for the body bushings, eliminate the potential for rotting wood, make the tub set on all the bushings, and add general strength to the tub.
I set up my fan to help blow away the glass dust, and we gave ourselves a good, heavy coating of baby powder. With dust masks and safety glasses we got busy...
The first problem was making a flat area for the bolt and washer on this tub mount. We have to remove this lip.
Showing how the stock bushings will not touch the tub. Same problem on both sides. I guess that's a GOOD thing!
Going to use this 18" long piece of 2X6 PT. The bushings are not inline with each other, and I want to eliminate multiple pieces here, so a 2X6 gets it done... wide enough to hit both bushings.
Clay cutting out the floor with a die-grinder.
A useful tool!
New hole in floor with both bushings visible.
Showing how both bushings make good contact.
You can use any tool you want... we used three different ones, but you have to have 3"-4" of good, clean glass to overlap your glass repair. This is for strength.
Another test fit. I beveled the edge of the wood. It is DIFFICULT to bend heavy glass around a 90* angle, so smooth the transition from plane to plane. Glass will "pucker" on a 90. I just used my floor sander to round the edge. It could have been done better with a router.
Clay doing some custom fitting.
An example of fitting... showing a beveled edge.
This area is deep, and even with the 2X6 there is quite a bit of space left open. These 1X4 PT pieces are for a filler. Factory used Luaun plywood (1/4"). It is NOT durable, and is NOT a good filler. We won't have that problem!
More filler pieces and notched wood for access to bolt and washer. Clay's side looks different... probably better!
Using this glass to fill gaps.
Cut the "stray" pieces of glass into a more usable size. This stuff came off the edges of some heavy mat.
Showing the glass fibers shoved into "pockets" to act as a filler. This is for added strength. There is still plenty more to do!
Just showing the original plug put back into place. We're not ready for it yet, but this is how it will go.
Like I said, we would have gone farther, but I am too bloated from marinated pork loin!
And the shower felt soooo good! We'll pick up some cheapo paint brushes to use with the resin. Once we have the glass work done on the top, we'll complete it when we flip the tub. More to come...