Clay's Build Thread - Page 91 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #1351
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Great idea on the clutch linkage rixcj came up with. That is a great place to start.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #1352
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Scott, any progress with the fitment issues you're having? Wish I had some input to offer, but I can only spectate...

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #1353
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott, any progress with the fitment issues you're having? Wish I had some input to offer, but I can only spectate...
I went out to the shop this evening during our big storm. It was so loud beating on the tin roof that I had to use muffs! I checked Rich's suggestion about the bellcrank position... I thought it looked pretty good, BUT the PO had made this gargantuan homemade mount, which I will probably change.
With a smaller, more factory-like mount, the tub needs to come forward. That causes the grill to go off plumb.

I found that there are some "pads" manufactured into the tub for the rear crossmember bushings, but they don't line up with anything. So I drew a center-line down the back of the tub and eye-balled it with the AMC20 pumpkin... thinking that the tub would line up with the middle of the housing. BUT IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE!

Called AJ to see if he could come over Saturday and help. Anything I do right now is a guess. I definitely DON'T want this thing to dog-walk down the road, so I may be going overboard on the tub alignment. AJ says to put it together and sell it!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #1354
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Welding Update

Clay has an "A" so far with his final on Wednesday. He has passed all his welds, and the Instructor started him on Level 2 weld techniques. That class is taught this summer, and Clay is working on the SECOND weld for level 2, having passed the first weld last week. So, today he began overhead welding with 7018 rods. Here is a pic of his very first overhead weld. This is a total of 6 beads. I can't do it at all!
img_4599_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1355
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Old AJ pretty well says what he thinks doesn't he Scott. I bet he's got some good advice.

Hey Clay those are some great looking welds. Overhead too. Glad to see you doing so well and moving ahead with the classes.

My build thread
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #1356
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

tell clay I said good job on the welding. I'm sure aj will have the tub together in no time just to frustrate you.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #1357
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Old AJ pretty well says what he thinks doesn't he Scott. I bet he's got some good advice.

Hey Clay those are some great looking welds. Overhead too. Glad to see you doing so well and moving ahead with the classes.
My oldest son just finished calculus with an A. We're like, "That's great Jake... did you see Clay's weld?"!!! Poor guy. Yeah, AJ said it's a POS. Those were the first words out of his mouth. My goal is for him to say "Nice Jeep".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
tell clay I said good job on the welding. I'm sure aj will have the tub together in no time just to frustrate you.
THAT would NOT hurt my feelings! He has certainly showed us a great deal. I keep trying to get everything close, or good, only to have him change it. Then you think "of course"!

Unread 04-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #1358
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I called AJ and asked him to come over and help. I'm very glad he did as it took nearly the whole day to figure out. I had the tub straight to a point that I would have "nailed it", but AJ pointed out this, and that, and this! I always stand dumbfounded when he does that. Why didn't I see it? I have to believe it is because he has trained himself, over the years, to look at certain problem areas. I just don't know what to look for....... yet! Anyway, he picked up some problems pretty quick and we got BUSY! I bet I walked around this tub 300 times today. And with AJ he gets it into his head and he goes. He doesn't say much, and with the larynectomy he doesn't TRY to say much, so I just followed around the tub with him, hoping I could hold the tape or something!

First thing we did was air up the tires so they all had consistent pressure. Then he fit the hood to the tub. He made some small plates (3/16" steel) and threaded the holes to go under the hood for the hinges to bolt to. Then we attempted to make the tub set square on the frame. He strapped some straight steel to the sides at axle height, aligning the tires. Then he set up some levels and boards to act as plumb bobs, and he measured from the tub at several places. We moved, and we tugged, and we shoved, and we moved until the measurements were the same all the way around. They weren't perfect either, but he did get the differences to 3/16... which is PDG! Then I bored new holes with a hole saw to attach the body temporarily. We will use the new holes but we have to take it all apart again.

PO had this metal frame around the back of the Jeep with a homemade tailgate. I pulled it off and this is what I found! I guess he wanted a tailgate. The tub must not have come with one. Why did he hack it up so???

Gotta go eat. Got one heck of a headache this evening! Enjoy the pics.
img_4613_1.jpg   img_4615_1.jpg   img_4616_1.jpg   img_4619_1.jpg   img_4621_1.jpg  

Unread 04-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #1359
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'd have to say that if were you I'd be pretty please with how it's lining up. Scott I know it's been a pain but I can see this taking shape now. Keep your chin up friend, it's looking great. Like a diamond in the rough!

Hope the headache goes away too.

My build thread
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #1360
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Scott, great progress. It's a good feeling when you plug away and things come together.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #1361
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

A couple of things to share about repairing fiberglass...

A good trick to avoid being all itchy when grinding and sanding is to douse yourself with Baby Powder. Put it on your arms, neck, wherever your skin is exposed and the dust does not get in your pours. Of course, you look like an albino, but it's better than the itch!

When repairing glass parts, like we did with the fenders (rebuilt them actually), pay attention to what it is supposed to look like when finished. We rebuilt the wheel wells on both front fenders without having any idea what they were supposed to look like. We just let the glass "flow" in the direction it seemed to want to go. It's no real big deal because nobody cares what your wheel wells look like, but what DID happen is that it affected the exterior shape, or the outside line of the fender to the body. So now the the bottom of the fender skirt bulges out a little bit. We put too much material on the inside and it affected the outside. If you're going for a good finish try to imagine how changing the shape at one point might affect the shape at another point.

Here's some pics of Clay wiring up the welder circuit. Using a standard dryer plug and 40 AMP double-pole breaker.
img_4422_1.jpg   img_4423_1.jpg   img_4424_1.jpg   img_4425_1.jpg   img_4628_1.jpg  

Unread 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #1362
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice on fiberglass Scott. That's a great spot for the welder outlet. You're gonna get more use out of that welder than you can imagine. Maybe Clay will even let you use it some and get praticed up.

My build thread
Unread 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #1363
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is so cool, I'm so jealous!!! I need a 220 welder!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #1364
RjTack
1985 CJ7 

Scott, You might want to check local codes for that welder wiring. Up here in NY for 220v we need to have 3-wire plus ground 10 gauge. The two 120 volt legs, one is black and the other is red, common is white, and the fixture is grounded with the bare copper. Fixtures always need to grounded. The way you have it, if the welder shorts and pushes 120 volts though the common, someone is going to get electrocuted. Please have it checked before someone gets hurt.
RjTack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1365
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks RJ. Got a buddy who's an electrician... I will consult with him.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.