Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#3,468 ·
VACJ7 said:
Cage looks good Scott. Wonder what these two holes in the dash were for? PO installed gauges or tweeters?
They were tweeters P. The po of that dash also lowered the volt and oil gauge a half inch as well. Was done nicely, you could only tell by looking at the backside.

#3,480 ·
I was ...uh... ruminating. Yeah, ruminating!

Scott, you guys are kickin' butt on this, but I have one question for you.....

What's that green stuff you guys are standing on outside? We don't have that stuff here.
I am GETTING a butt kicking! Not sure that I'm giving any! ;) Tired...

The grass has been growing like gang-busters and needs cutting every four days. Which we don't do! :D

DOG!!! WElcome back!!!

Scott, that 5 looks great!!!! It makes me miss mine… I love the TJ, but there is just something about a CJ5!!!
Hey Bill. Thanks for stopping by. Your avatar looks awfully good. Maybe you should go back and buy it soon as the new OP finishes it! :teehee: I'm glad you're enjoying the TJ. I like them too, and you are driving.

Wow! Well would you look at that. I leave for a week of vacation and you guys got a ton of work done. Maybe you should send me on vacation more often.

The tan and black looks great and that roll cage is a Hoss! Great work guys. So nice to see it all coming together. :thumbsup:
I will send you on vacation only if I can go WITH! Thanks for the compliments Mike.

So, it took me 6 hours to get all caught up, it was closer to 50 pages and I've missed way to much to comment on every thing so I'll just say you've done a great job and congrats to you and your family on all your accomplishments.
You're crazy! I can't believe you read all that! But I'm glad to have you on board! :thumbsup:

Putting things back together. Installed pedal assembly, dropped it from the firewall to the tub floor first... had to ding the glass and paint. Couldn't leave it looking pristine. Then installed the dash (mocked up), and scratched the door sills, cage, and cowl to pieces. Didn't want the floor to be alone. Then bolted down the cage, but now the bolts aren't long enough (????????). I think someone snuck inside my shop and cut the bolts short. Must be what happened, no other reason for it. The cage is wracked and 2 mounts/bolts don't line up, and it doesn't sit flat anymore. I think whoever snuck inside my shop ran over the cage to be ugly. HAS to be what happened. I was looking at the mis-fitting cage and I said, "Would you look at that?" Really... I said that. "Just look at it", I said. Clay looked sleepy. Clay got his steering shaft apart and primed, also worked on his battery box. I have the steering gearbox installed and plumbed, master cylinder installed and plumbed (forgot to bench bleed!), threw my sunglasses at the yard, but nothing happened to them, so I went out and got them and threw them at random things inside the shop until they came apart. That made me feel... somewhat... better. It's hot outside. MoC's dash is textured and painted, and now sitting in the house awaiting gauge install. Dang... acme out good. I was cleaning up one of the two speedos I have, wirewheeling the rust. Disassembled completely. The chrome housing ring caught the edge of the bench grinder/wire wheel and the wheel pulled it out of my hands and jammed it into the wheel housing, slightly altering the shape so it more closely resembles an egg. I couldn't throw the grinder, so I threw the ring. It was already messed up. Then I went and got it and straightened it out. Put it back together and put it on the shelf. It can stay there. Stoopid speedo. Gotta go eat now.

#3,476 ·
Scott, you guys are kickin' butt on this, but I have one question for you.....

What's that green stuff you guys are standing on outside? We don't have that stuff here.

#3,477 ·
DOG!!! WElcome back!!!

Scott, that 5 looks great!!!! It makes me miss mine… I love the TJ, but there is just something about a CJ5!!!

#3,478 ·
Wow! Well would you look at that. I leave for a week of vacation and you guys got a ton of work done. Maybe you should send me on vacation more often.

The tan and black looks great and that roll cage is a Hoss! Great work guys. So nice to see it all coming together. :thumbsup:

#3,481 ·
My day went great :)

You typed so much I can't remember it all, except throwing stuff. Stop that!

Anyway , I'm glad you had a "good" day, and got some things completed.

Bill

#3,485 ·
I'm still irritated. But just finished the gauge install on Clay's kicker. Gotta trim here. Gotta trim there. Need a black ring to go around the speedo bezel for appearances (anybody know if there is such an animal?). Can't find the switch cluster I want. Haven't figured that out yet, so dash ain't done.

Misery loves company bud, my day was just as sweet and productive :(
I felt buoyed all day, despite the lousy attitude I had. It must have been you having YOUR lousy day. THANKS, Bro. You're Special! :D

And now you made me smile...

Sorry to hear all the troubles today Scott but dang that was funny reading! Take a break and don't let it discourage you. You guys have come a long way as Dave has reminded you. But then again, probably should not listen to me. I launched my intake manifold across the garage and down the driveway. :)
If you had been here today, I would have COMPETED with you at manifold launching. You know how it is when you get in a work mode. I hate to stop!

-Need trim ring around speedo. Somebody find me something to use!
-Switch panel will cover Clay's original idea for factory switch cutouts (area between speedo and gauges). The area I need to cover is 3.5" - 4.5" W by 6.5" - 8.0" high. Can be one panel or two. Can be lighted toggles instead of rockers. I need 3-6 illuminated rockers, 20-25 amps, on-off, with 12V accessory plug (preferrable). I DON'T want to spend $75 for one, so DON'T show me one for $147!

Attachments

#3,489 ·
Scott

Dude, reading that just made my day. :rofl:

It's been one fiasco, after another, on my 360 build, so I can whole-heartedly relate.

In the end, I think these little frustrations are what make it soooo satisfying when you complete the project. :cheers2:

Matt
Thanks, Matt, and I agree with you. At some point all the troubles will be gone, and we'll enjoy the Jeeps. It has been an amazing learning curve, full of excitement and successes. There have been no let downs at all, only stumbling blocks It's all about overcoming, fortitude, perserverance, dedication, etc, etc, etc! Glad you had a laugh! :D

I want to urge you guys on. I am a new member and read your thread. I think it is wonderful that your doing this with your son.

Memories last a life time. This is more about building a young mans character than building a Jeep. I am sure both will turn out super.

Keep going and Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen, Brother. I appreciate it, and welcome to the forum. Lots to "do" here and plenty of saavy. Thanks for following along. My oldest son starts at Gatorland in about 6 weeks!! :thumbsup:

Hey Scott, I'm interested in seeing how this turns out! I've always kinda liked the black rims look, and this is just taking that as far as you can go! :thumbsup:
I like the black rim look too, but for the life of me I don't know why! They are so boring. But SO DANG TOUGH!! Nothing shiny on this Jeep, but I think polished wheels would have looked good too. I'm not especially fond of the Soft 8s, but Clay likes them, and it's his money, his Jeep.

I have been working "overtime" on this brain-warping contraption! I discovered that Clay's PO welded the draglink. It looks like one of those things you see in a picture and say something like, "What was the dude thinking?" I need to order a draglink. I installed WT axles on his rig. Which one do I order?

This one,
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56117_00.htm

Or this one?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56117_01.htm

Thank you

#3,486 ·
Oh yeah... Clay has officially ordered his new wheels and tires from Summit (Thank You Paul for providing the footwork). Cragar Soft 8 (15X8), BFG AT 33x10.5x15, black center caps, black lug nuts, tires mounted and balanced, delivered $1038. I thought that PDG, and I thought the salesperson (William) was excellent. William is extension 5724. BTW- we called Summit Thursday evening about 9:30 PM. We could not order at that time. We hadn't transferred the money yet. And William was going home for his weekend. He would be back to work Sunday. I called him back this afternoon. He had saved the list of parts I wanted, and he had it ready for my phone call today! I was impressed.

#3,487 ·
I want to urge you guys on. I am a new member and read your thread. I think it is wonderful that your doing this with your son.

Memories last a life time. This is more about building a young mans character than building a Jeep. I am sure both will turn out super.

Keep going and Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!!

#3,490 ·
Compare the prices at the local auto store for the drag link. They should have the sleeve, bolts, and both ends. And get the Moog parts.

Bill

#3,493 ·
I may have a spare WT drag link on a shelf in the garage. I replaced mine with Moog. If I have it... and you want it, it's yours.
Thanks, Paul. Let me check local prices at AZ. They're fairly inexpensive. I'll get back to you.

You need to hang a punching bag in the shop Scott. Better than throwing stuff. :D

Well reading your mishaps I gotta tell you about mine. I was cutting shackle hangers the other day and broke a cutter. It had allot of use so I didn't feel too bad. Ordered a new one, $328.27. Got that going, for about 20 minutes and was doing something else while it was cutting and heard it snap! Mistake on my part. So I ordered another one. Same price. I got that running and everything was working great and all of a sudden it was destroyed, another mistake on my part. I was readY to cuss by this time but didn't. I held what was left in my hand and really wanted to throw it but this is solid carbide and it's heavy enough to really damage something so I didn't. Now I've ordered another one, a somewhat cheaper one. So far I've got almost $900.00 in a cutter. Hope it don't break soon! That would have finished the 9" front end on my CJ!

Yep I understand your pain my friend. But I'm grinning while writing this. We'll have these days again if we keep living.
You are so right. Thank you for your wisdom, Jim. At least I can go back and fix our scratches. Not like you're going to join the bits back together. You're a GOOD man! :highfive:

#3,492 ·
You need to hang a punching bag in the shop Scott. Better than throwing stuff. :D

Well reading your mishaps I gotta tell you about mine. I was cutting shackle hangers the other day and broke a cutter. It had allot of use so I didn't feel too bad. Ordered a new one, $328.27. Got that going, for about 20 minutes and was doing something else while it was cutting and heard it snap! Mistake on my part. So I ordered another one. Same price. I got that running and everything was working great and all of a sudden it was destroyed, another mistake on my part. I was readY to cuss by this time but didn't. I held what was left in my hand and really wanted to throw it but this is solid carbide and it's heavy enough to really damage something so I didn't. Now I've ordered another one, a somewhat cheaper one. So far I've got almost $900.00 in a cutter. Hope it don't break soon! That would have finished the 9" front end on my CJ!

Yep I understand your pain my friend. But I'm grinning while writing this. We'll have these days again if we keep living.

#3,496 ·
As promised here's your pictures.

Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Dish Gas

Flat side towards the tub.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Nut

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

About the Waggy with no top, tell Beth real women don't need no stinking tops. :)

Bill

#3,499 ·
About the Waggy with no top, tell Beth real women don't need no stinking tops. :)

Bill
I'm NOT telling her that! You CRAZY!?!? :eek:

Scott, you should see the size of the pest strips in Chicago. And I just happen to have a picture of one.

View attachment 429650

The tape measure is for size comparison.
:fistlaugh:

I love my Stihl, it blows which is not the same as sucks!
As a single man you probably need that! :rolleyes:

:fistlaugh: :fistlaugh: :fistlaugh: :fistlaugh:

#3,497 ·
gmakra said:
Skipper you can catch those nasty lil elfs/gremlins that cut your bolts to short with no pest strips! But it sounds like you will need a lot since you probably have a colony of them.
Scott, you should see the size of the pest strips in Chicago. And I just happen to have a picture of one.

Water Road surface Asphalt Wood Shade

The tape measure is for size comparison.

#3,500 ·
I had to look at the picture, i'm like Stihl doesn't make tape measures. Then I saw it in the shadow . Thats the baby one, we have more trees than grass so a BR400 back pack blower is a necessity.

I'm NOT telling her that! You CRAZY!?!? :eek:

Tell her George said it. Bill would NEVER say that, just do this:confused::dunno:

:fistlaugh:

As a single man you probably need that! :rolleyes:

:fistlaugh: :fistlaugh: :fistlaugh: :fistlaugh:
Being single, he probably see's more action than you! :rofl::rofl:

Your pal, Bill