Clay's Build Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #121
crakmonckey
1984 CJ8 

The problem with striping the fan is what color? Black or Silver?

crakmonckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #122
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Today is not going as planned. I am aggravated! Clay won't focus. Mom is cranky. And I'm not on schedule. It is so hot and humid. My water separator won't keep up with the compressor. I can't shoot paint when the air is not dry. It's fixin' to rain and I have to paint what has been sandblasted. My break is over. Why didn't I use the dadgonfriggindurnblasted POR-15 like I planned!? Pray for me!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #123
1983 CJ7 

Good luck, painting anywhere besides an enclosed climate controlled shop is a crap shoot. And since this is me, I shoot a lot of crap

If you are anywhere near Tallahassee I will take our 96 deg 38% humidity to your 86 deg 72% humidity any day of the week.

OK Scott, you must be spraying paint and dripping sweat all over the frame...heat index in North Florida is 95.4 F and 101.1 in Central Texas so you can't complain now

Last edited by 243; 07-17-2010 at 04:27 PM..
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #124
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Good luck, painting anywhere besides an enclosed climate controlled shop is a crap shoot. And since this is me, I shoot a lot of crap

If you are anywhere near Tallahassee I will take our 96 deg 38% humidity to your 86 deg 72% humidity any day of the week.

OK Scott, you must be spraying paint and dripping sweat all over the frame...heat index in North Florida is 95.4 F and 101.1 in Central Texas so you can't complain now
I lived around the southeast, and I've had occassion to go to the midwest a couple of times, and I was surprised how hot is was in those places. I've learned one thing... HOT is HOT! Today, our temp was 93*. Don't know what the humidity was, but you stayed wet with sweat. Heat index, online, said 99*, but the hottest temp I've recorded so far this summer, at my house, in the sun, was 112*!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #125
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

What an aggravating day. NAPA told me that they had a gallon of Prepaint Prep coming on the truck and would arrive this morning at 8:00AM. Called them and they said, "Nope! It'll be here Tuesday". I made 9 more calls looking for it. NAPA in Valdosta had it, but the paint guy there said I needed the 415. He explained it to me as being a 3 step process with the final process being an impervious coating... cost $125! Hmmm... I'm thinking POR-15! Why ain't I using it?? I called AJ and he had some PPP, said come and get it. So I went to his house, got the stuff, came back and started sandblasting... rather Clay did. Poor Clay felt like I was on his butt all day! Maybe I was... I didn't really think so. To his credit, he stuck it out, but we didn't get anywhere near finished. It was so hot and humid that I knew it was going to rain. But guess what... it didn't! Things just didn't go right. Sandblasting, this time, was slow as molasses in the winter. We never got halfway done. Me and Clay were tense with each other, and that just isn't the way it's supposed to be, building a Jeep with your kid. So I got disgusted with whole thing, grabbed a flapdisc, and started ahead of the sandblasting. 7 hours into the frame and we're not halfway, I broke out the Ospho and sprayed her down. I kept looking at my POR kit, specifically the Metal ready, and kept asking myself, "Why are we doing this"? So I wiped the whole thing down with Denatured Alcohol, sprayed it with Ospho, and finished at 8:00 this evening. Tomorrow, I will wipe it down with AJs Prepaint Prep and then prime it with the primer sealer he also gave me. I am hugely in his debt. The Ospho went right to work turning the metal black. I will use the POR kit on the tub of my 7. Here are some pics of the day.

First one is Clay sandblasting. I kept thinking about what one of the guys said about using a pressurized system. It's GOT to be faster. I just don't have one.

Second pic is what we (I) was racing against. Clay wasn't racing at all... just plodding along!

Third pic is something that we DID get done today. Something good...
100_0712_1.jpg   100_0713_1.jpg   got-done-today.jpg  

Unread 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #126
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

More questions for you guys!

First pic is the phenolic adapter for the MC2100. I currently have it mounted up with the paper gasket/adapter. The same rig I have on my 7, and it runs great. Should I use the phenolic one (any advantage) or for not worry about it?

Second pic... Is the throwout bearing installed backward? I have since changed it wround to face the other way. When I pulled the bellhosuing, it fell out, so I never saw how it was mounted.

Third pic, the bellcrank... what holds the "pushrod" in place? The end with the "ball and socket" is sloppy and seems worn. Does it just sit in there?

Thanks Y'all!
should-i-use-.jpg   right.jpg   what-holds-together.jpg  

Unread 07-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #127
Boyjeepin
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
More questions for you guys!

Third pic, the bellcrank... what holds the "pushrod" in place? The end with the "ball and socket" is sloppy and seems worn. Does it just sit in there?

Thanks Y'all!
Yea it just sits there. Kinda scary! I believe there is a kit you can buy that is a bit more secure.

Project is looking nice, my frame restoration is one step behind yours and love the motivation your giving me.
2001 XJ: MIA
Boyjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #128
1983 CJ7 

We made it to 96 today, it is still 94 right now, hot is hot but hot and humid is miserable!

I was using a pressure blaster today and I can say for certain, I would not try to sandblast an entire frame unless I had a compressor capable of putting out 20 cfm and a 1000 lbs of clean, dry sand. It is more efficient than a siphon feed blaster but it is still slow and uses a lot of sand and a whole lot of air, I am surprised I have not burned up the pump on my CF compressor.

I am using it just to get at the rust and places I can't get with a wire wheel or flapper disc. I am also very happy with the Norton RapidStrip not RediStrip discs that I picked up at Home Depot.

Last edited by 243; 07-18-2010 at 06:58 AM..
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #129
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyjeepin View Post
Yea it just sits there. Kinda scary! I believe there is a kit you can buy that is a bit more secure.

Project is looking nice, my frame restoration is one step behind yours and love the motivation your giving me.
I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! 'preciate that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
We made it to 96 today, it is still 94 right now, hot is hot but hot and humid is miserable!

I was using a pressure blaster today and I can say for certain, I would not try to sandblast an entire frame unless I had a compressor capable of putting out 20 cfm and a 1000 lbs of clean, dry sand. It is more efficient than a siphon feed blaster but it is still slow and uses a lot of sand and a whole lot of air, I am surprised I have not burned up the pump on my CF compressor.

I am using it just to get at the rust and places I can't get with a wire wheel or flapper disc. I am also very happy with the Norton RediStrip discs that I picked up at Home Depot.
I burned through 100# of sand today. Then swept it up and did it again. I was comparing the first time I blasted the frame, way back when, and this time. The first time went really quick... done in a couple of hours. The difference in the frame was that it was very dirty the first time, and this time it had only the patina on it. The patina was harder to get off.

Can you post a pic of Norton Redistrip? I looked at what I thought you were talking about at Lowes on Friday, but I was unsure so I didn't buy one. What I looked at didn't seem durable at all.

Unread 07-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #130
1983 CJ7 

RapidStrip, *not* RediStrip...I was whipped last night

Our Lowe's do not carry them and I have not found them any cheaper than Home Depot.

The should last quite a while on flat surfaces like the frame rails, but if you run them over hard edges like bolts, brackets or the corners of sheet metal it wears them out.
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #131
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thank, Dave. Lowes doesn't have them here either. What I looked at was more like a commercial Scotch-Brite. Thank you for posting that up. I'm going to need something efficient for the FG tub... that's coming up pretty soon.

Unread 07-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #132
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

WOOHOO!! Got 'er done! The frame is officially finished. I was just starting to shoot primer this morning when AJ rode up. Thank God he showed up when he did, because he promptly stopped me when I started spraying. I was not keeping a wet edge. The paint was going on DRY! It wouldn't have stuck... Deja Vu! So he gave me a lesson and then he kicked back, and it was Rock-n-Roll time! He thought the Opsho was a great idea. If I had done that from the beginning I could have saved 7 aggravating hours sandblasting.

Here are the steps that I took.

After the Ospho cured, I wiped it down with the Prepaint solvent that AJ loaned me. Then I Scotch Brited the whole frame. Then I blew it off. Then shot primer. It is a lacquer primer and dries very fast. Then the neighbors took my wife and I out for Chinese! Yum, yum! After we got back it was wipe down time again, Scotch-Brite again, blew it off again, then finish paint. The finish paint is Valspar Low Gloss Black implement paint. It covers very well and is super durable.

I am attempting to download the pics from Photobucket... hope I get the correct links!

I am soooooooooooo glad this is done!

Well! THAT didn't work! So here is the explanation...

First pic is the prep materials I used
2nd is the Ospho cured frame
3rd is what Ospho does to concrete- BAD!
4th is fire ants that moved into the barn into a pile of sand that I swept up after sandblasting... eating a dead spider!
5th is AJ... The Cavalry! Showed up in the nick of time!
100_0717_1.jpg   100_0716_1.jpg   100_0715_1.jpg   100_0718_1.jpg   100_0719_1.jpg  

Unread 07-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #133
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I really liked shooting the lacquer primer. Made me want to paint something else! Here are the pics of the frame done. Next step... putting everything back into the chassis. I CAN'T WAIT!!

1st pic is me shooting primer
2nd is primer done
3rd is me shooting black
4th is black done
5th is materials used to finish the frame

Did I tell you how happy I am that the frame is done? I'm really happy!

Dave- Notice the SWEAT dripping off my big nose and chin!!!
100_0721_1.jpg   100_0723_1.jpg   100_0739_1.jpg   100_0770_1.jpg   100_0771_1.jpg  

Unread 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #134
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Looking great! Can you summarize all the steps you did on the frame from start to finish, with a one sentence explanation for each step (if needed)? Also include the inside of the frame.
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #135
1983 CJ7 

Sure did, and I wasn't planning to bring it up but since you asked, it was hotter in Texas today

The frame looks great and I have heard very good comments about the Valspar implement paint.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.