Clay's Build Thread - Page 62 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #916
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott I just went and looked at my grille and it's flat in that area where Clay's in dimpled in. Shouldn't be too hard to hammer some of that back and fill it in.

Oh and another question. Do you guys have to wear hunter orange when you deer hunt? We do here.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #917
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Scott I just went and looked at my grille and it's flat in that area where Clay's in dimpled in. Shouldn't be too hard to hammer some of that back and fill it in.

Oh and another question. Do you guys have to wear hunter orange when you deer hunt? We do here.
Jim- Thanks for the grill info. Guess we'll have to readdress it.

We have to wear orange on public lands but not on private land.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #918
1983 CJ7 

I wear at a minimum, a blaze orange cap even on private land including our farm...the deer don't care and it beats the hell out of being shot.
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #919
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I wear at a minimum, a blaze orange cap even on private land including our farm...the deer don't care and it beats the hell out of being shot.
To me it doesnt matter the land, just the people im with. Dick Cheney-orange jump suit

Ben
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #920
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Scott, just went back through the last few month's of Clay's build, the part about the hood, bondo, primer thing, was a great reminder of trial and error that helps all of us with our builds..thanks
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #921
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Scott, just went back through the last few month's of Clay's build, the part about the hood, bondo, primer thing, was a great reminder of trial and error that helps all of us with our builds..thanks
David- Thanks! It sure was a learning curve. I could have saved myself some problems if I had contacted Bondo Tech Support sooner, as Dave suggested, but then I wouldn't know what I now know! I hope it is helpful to others.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #922
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are some pictures of Clay's grill after he applied Ospho. He put straight Ospho into a hand spray bottle and liberally applied it to all grill surfaces. He will have to Scotchbrite it and degrease it before primer. I was surprised by how much surface area there is on a grill. It doesn't appear to be a large piece, but it takes awhile to get across it! If you use Ospho, be sure to NOT have it over concrete unless it is protected as it will dissolve the concrete! Also, be sure you are well ventilated because it will take your breath away! We still have some bent metal to straighten on the front.

Here is a pic before Ospho. Notice the difference.

Hopefully, it won't be so cold that we can't finish the metal work on the grill this weekend. Right now, I can't think of anything worse than handling steel parts when it is cold outside! Wifey is saying something about plans she wants to make for this weekend... but I'm not listening!!! The Train is Rolling...

Unread 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #923
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Wifey is saying something about plans she wants to make for this weekend... but I'm not listening!!! The Train is Rolling...
Good luck with that ^^^ I bet your hearing gets better sooner than you think
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #924
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Geees.... she just hit me! I'm gonna get her as soon as I finish washing dishes and vacuuming the kitchen floor!

Unread 01-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #925
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the tips on using Ospho. Good to know what it does to concrete. Hopefully you'll get the grill done this weekend then it's on to the tub!

Hey Scott just tell your wife that you're the head of the household and that you have the final word on everything and that you think staying home and working on the CJ is best for the family.

My build thread
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #926
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on using Ospho. Good to know what it does to concrete. Hopefully you'll get the grill done this weekend then it's on to the tub!

Hey Scott just tell your wife that you're the head of the household and that you have the final word on everything and that you think staying home and working on the CJ is best for the family.
I told her and she made a very strange cackle that I have never heard before! Kinda freaky sounding! She says it's my biblical and manly responsibility to provide for the family. She says there's nothing about Jeeps in HER Bible!! BUT!!!! She wants her OWN CJ when I finish with mine!

Unread 01-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #927
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's how my wife got her jeep!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #928
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I told her and she made a very strange cackle that I have never heard before! Kinda freaky sounding! She says it's my biblical and manly responsibility to provide for the family. She says there's nothing about Jeeps in HER Bible!! BUT!!!! She wants her OWN CJ when I finish with mine!
You did keep my name out of this, didn't you.

Scott you remember the part in the Bible where Paul instructed the women to be quiet? Maybe you should read that to here, let me know how it goes.

My build thread
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #929
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I worked on getting the busted bolt out of Clay's grill this evening. It is SO COLD that my hands weren't thinking! Thinking? Well... they didn't work very well. I pretty much was done when Clay got home from his welding class, but he came out to the shop, in a sweatshirt, and got busy too. Clay sanded the Crabtree Specials with some fine grit paper and hit them with a second coat of primer. Yep, they're going red! Should look cool. In the meantime, I continued to work on the stubbornbrokenrustedpieceofcrap bolt! It was MUCH more difficult than expected. I have been squirting it with Blaster, on and off, for the past month. I had to use a little heat in the form of a propane torch. No pics of that but here is the pic sequence.

Bolt broke off slightly below the top, so it was a little recessed. No chance to weld a new bolt to it. At least, not for me!

Tried to center punch the MIDDLE of the bolt. This creates a "pocket" for the drill bit and keeps it from wandering.

Here is the dimple after 5 or 6 pops.

Started with a small bit to create a pilot hole. This will guide a larger bit next.

Pilot hole with shavings. I used Blaster as a lubricant and I kept the drill on the low setting to reduce heat.

This hole shows where I have already stepped up to a larger bit. You can see the pilot hole in the bottom.

I gently tapped in my Easy Out. You do NOT want to break one of these off in the hole. Trust me on that one! If you haven't ever done it, you are blessed!

Gentle twisting with the T-handle. GENTLE!! Feel it. Don't break it off.

Extracted!

Cleaning the threads with a tap of the correct size.

Are you impressed!? that's the way it's SUPPOSED to go, but it didn't! I fiddled and fiddled with it and finally got it out by continuously stepping up drill bit sizes until there was hardly any metal holding the original bolt threads in the hole. Then, I used pliers and twisted it out the bottom of the hole! The Easy Out didn't get it this time! But it looked good didn't it?

Unread 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #930
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You did keep my name out of this, didn't you.

Scott you remember the part in the Bible where Paul instructed the women to be quiet? Maybe you should read that to here, let me know how it goes.
Jim, the problem with that is if they start reading, they may read the command before that regarding husbands!!! Then they will want to vote... Nothing good ever comes from a woman reading!!!

I hope my wife never sees this!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.