Clay's Build Thread - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #886
QuickCj

Build is looking good. Body work is so much fun isn't it

QuickCj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #887
1983 CJ7 

It sounds like you had a great trip, especially the Mexican food

I hope bodywork is therapeutic because that is next on my list.
Unread 01-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #888
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey I wanted to see that frisbie catch!!

From what I see the fender is looking great. Part of me says just to get it all primed and paint it but I know you want everything right.

Nice weather you're having there my friend. I have visions of sitting on that screened in porch drinking iced tea. Save me a spot.
The weather IS nice right now, and you're welcome on my porch anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Go ahead and put me down for "Hate it with all your guts!"

Have you tried high build and sanding yet? Something I experienced was I would see a small imperfection so I would use glaze, which would fix the one spot and then I'd have a bad spot somewhere else. The high build filled in some of the smaller imperfections, that I thought were big. Anyway, just a thought.
Yeah... we've been using high build all along. That's actually what Clay is spraying. It's pretty neat stuff as it lays down a thick coat and is easy to sand. It reveals what you missed! I would be glad to finally "get it" so we stop wasting primer! I can't tell you how many times we have primed a part only to sand it all off again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickCj View Post
Build is looking good. Body work is so much fun isn't it
Thanks. I really don't mind the body work. I just wish I would learn it well enough to quit wasting time! I hate doing stuff over again, and again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
It sounds like you had a great trip, especially the Mexican food

I hope bodywork was is therapeutic because that is next on my list.
I don't think you will mind it, Dave. It's kind of peaceful, but I think you know more about it than I do! If I had your skill I would be ahead of the game!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #889
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Scott, you and Clay have the patience of Jobe on those fenders. The weather is one of the benefits of Fl. One day it's freezing and the next it's T-shirt and shorts

BTW. Did you come home with a new iPad?

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #890
1983 CJ7 

Happy New Year Scott!

The high build primer is nice, are ya'll working on the Jeep today?

My goal is to spend just an hour or so on the computer and then get to work. The girls want to go to the range tomorrow so I need to load some plinking rounds for the AR and dig up some 22 rounds. I am not sure but Walmart may be open but it was poor planning on my part.
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #891
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Happy New Year Scott!

The high build primer is nice, are ya'll working on the Jeep today?

My goal is to spend just an hour or so on the computer and then get to work. The girls want to go to the range tomorrow so I need to load some plinking rounds for the AR and dig up some 22 rounds. I am not sure but Walmart may be open but it was poor planning on my part.
I'm only 7 days late with a response! Sorry Dave. Did ya'll go plinking?

Clay is working for Old Man Jim today... a good friend and local farmer. He should be home around 2:00 when we are going to my sister's to put Simba, her ancient Golden Retriever, down. Not my way to spend a weekend, but you gotta do what ya gotta do!

While Clay is gone I have been stripping his grill. I began to think that my/his PO was too lazy to screw up anything outside of nuts, bots, or welds, but when I removed the headlight buckets I found that he had been there too! Why on earth, if you're going to dig into the workings of the headlights, wouldn't you FIX the $#^*%! problem?? Whata Maroon... Anyway, getting ready to sandblast the grill. Pics to come.

On another note, Clay started his welding class yesterday. There are about 20 guys in the class. He said 3 of them were bragging about doing jail time! Like that is something to be proud of!! One of them was saying how the toughest truck ever is the Jeep. You can't break 'em! I can't wait until Clay finishes his rig and drives it to school that first day. He is the youngest in the class.

On

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #892
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jail time huh??? Niiiice. Well at least Clay seams to respect his fathers' path through life enough that he won't be influence by those knuckleheads. Now if they were bragging about the way they have turned their lives around, that would have been a different story!!!

Man, I'm sorry about the goldy. We are a dog family, and know how much they can become part of the family. Will pray for some sort of blessing through it!!!

Good luck with the grill today!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #893
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about the old dog Scott. That'll make for a tough day.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #894
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks, Guys. I'm waiting for Clay to pull up so we can go to my sister's house. In the meantime, here are some pics of today's work.

Clay's grill. It and the windshield frame are still original parts. Everything else is FG.

Backside...

Busted fender bolt to get out. yeehaw...

This tab is about broken off. How should I fix it? Do I really need to keep it? Suggestions, please.

PO's wad of silicone at tab on bezel. What for?? Did it rattle??

PO's wiring at headlight plug. C'mon... he taped it right into the plug!

Different screws out of the same light bucket. #$%&@!

The only dent in the grill. Bad pic tho... can you see it?

Guess what color Clay's Jeep used to be? Just like his Old Man's!

Grill backside about half done with sandblasting.

My little sandblaster did not want to feed this big stuff. This is a 100# bag of blasting media.

Found these things in the yard! They have a coat of Ospho on them. Gotta figure out what to do with them!

We still have some to do. The grill has some kind of undercoating/liner material on it. Most of it comes right off with the blaster at 120 PSI, but not all. There will still be some wire-wheeling to do. I was never thinking about discovering the color of the Jeep, so when it revealed itself I was pleased! I have decided that I like the color and I will probably put it back on MY CJ, as it is the original color for it. Clay is adamant that he wants red... tried to talk him out of it already. No Way!!

Whay do ya'll think is the best way to restore the chrome finish on the bezels? They are not pitted but painted black. Do you think if I hit them with, say... 50 PSIs of sand that they would obtain a matte look??

Gotta go for now... duty calls!

Unread 01-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #895
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerr View Post
busted fender bolt to get out. Yeehaw…

i got a few of those!!!

this tab is about broken off. How should i fix it? Do i really need to keep it? Suggestions, please.

It doesn't look too bad, just bend it back slowly. If it cracks, buy a winch to cover it up… I'm sure Clay wouldn't mind!!!

different screws out of the same light bucket. #$%&@!

yeah, i am realizing that new nuts, screws and bolts are the true hidden cost of my project… since most of them rusted, snapped or are mismatched!!!

whay do ya'll think is the best way to restore the chrome finish on the bezels? They are not pitted but painted black. Do you think if i hit them with, say... 50 psis of sand that they would obtain a matte look??

buy new ones!!!!

gotta go for now... Duty calls!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #896
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Scott, sorry to hear about the Golden. I had one for 11 years before I had to put her down a few summers ago. That was a very tough day.

Good to hear Clay is learning a good trade. No matter what he does in life, he'll have something to fall back on.

Has anyone said anything good about a PO lately? Grill is blasting clean. Are you using your handheld or a different one?

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #897
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Bill- you're right about the cost of the build being in hardware. I've been wire-wheeling all the bolts that we can and buying only what we need. I don't really know if that is the smart thing to do, though. Reason being... if something uses four bolts, and you clean up three, then you have to remember to buy just one. I like to buy at least 6 of anything just to keep them in stock. It's easier to remember when you buy in quanitity, rather than trying to remember how many of each bolt you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott, sorry to hear about the Golden. I had one for 11 years before I had to put her down a few summers ago. That was a very tough day.

Good to hear Clay is learning a good trade. No matter what he does in life, he'll have something to fall back on.

Has anyone said anything good about a PO lately? Grill is blasting clean. Are you using your handheld or a different one?
Thanks, Jody. The dog was especially bad as my sister is alone and he was her best friend. So we will be on the hunt for a replacement... the sooner the better.

I agree about having a vocation. Clay is still talking about being a fireman and welding on the side.

And yes, I am using my little gravity sandblaster. It works great except for frequent reloads and how slow it is to filter the sand. Otherwise, it is a good investment.

Unread 01-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #898
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks good scott, sorry about the dog.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #899
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott do you have some better pictures of that broken tab? It would look better if it was fixed.

Hey I see you're still using those cheap Chinese knock off parts.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #900
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey I see you're still using those cheap Chinese knock off parts.
Yep! I used them for ballast so my ladder wouldn't blow over!!

Since they, coincidentally, fit the CJ frame and springs perfectly, I think I'll use them for shackle hangars!

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.