Clay's Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #76
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Dave, that is what you use all your spare I-Beams that you have lying around for......

81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #77
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hope your family is feeling better. That looks like a heavy duty trailer, it will come in handy for lots of things! Thanks for posting the pictures and the progress.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #78
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
That is a beast of a trailer!
Indeed! I was happily surprised how well it pulls... couldn't tell it was back there. Deck looks like firewood, but I think if I pressure wash it it will look much better... still solid for the most part. Needs fenders and ramps, which AJ said he would build. It is an "afterJeep" project. I have a home farm/garden business and I can haul around my little tractor. YAY!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #79
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really get excited about these crazy Jeeps! It's a Gotta... Gotta... Gotta thing!

Well... me and Clay went over to AJs this evening. We hauled the frame over there between rainstorms. His wife was working so we had the shop to ourselves... just me, Clay, AJ, and the dog! I figured it was going to be a long night getting this done, but AJ chose to break it into 2 evenings... smart man! He went over the frame with chalk to mark everything that needed attention. One of the things that I thought remarkable was the poor quality factory welds. Keep in mind that I had already finished this frame once with a bedliner material. You can see that experience in this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/be...-paint-774919/ . If it hadn't been for the coating coming off I would be sending my son down the road in this thing! I encourage anyone, who is doing a frame restoration for the first time, to really spend some time going over the frame and looking at everything. After grinding the frame down a second time I really saw the problem areas, and with AJs help things became obvious. AJ prepped these areas with a wire wheel that takes a man to wield! No problem! Some of the nutserts were gone from the front shackle hangers and the bellypan, and he installed new ones. He has a technique that I have never seen before. Of course, I have never seen anyone do a nutsert before, so maybe I am easily impressed! He welded up bad factory welds, cracks, and nutserts tonight. I should have "finished" welding pics tomorrow. Here are some pics from our progress tonight.
ajs-shop.jpg   finding-problems.jpg   factory-weld.jpg   thats-wire-wheel.jpg   sadie-wonder-dog.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #80
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Well... me and Clay went over to AJs this evening. We hauled the frame over there between rainstorms. His wife was working so we had the shop to ourselves... just me, Clay, AJ, and the dog.....
Impressive shop, that's for sure. And that wire wheel would probably make quick work of anything.
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #81
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Nutsert repair

Since I was so amazed by how AJ fixed the nutserts, I thought I would highlight that by itself. For anyone who is interested...

The area he is working on is one of the bolt holes for a front shackle hanger. The nutsert broke out and the PO drilled a large hole on top of the frame and bolted the hanger through the frame. He tightened it down so much that it cracked the frame around the hole. The metal is a little thin here so the repair was easy to do. Other areas, like the crossmember for the tranny where the metal was in better shape, it wasn't as easy!

AJ took a nut and bolt of the proper size and placed it over the hole.

He then took a Sharpie and marked each lobe of the nut.

Then with a cold chisel he notched each lobe.

He then took the bolt/nut combo and placed them properly over the notched hole, and with a BFH he knocked it into the hole. Go slow... the edges will take the shape of the nut and it won't spin. Don't hit it too hard and knock it into the frame! Once he set the depth he welded it up. I forgot to get a pic of that, but I will once I grind down the weld. It looked very good. I hope someone finds this useful.
nutsert1.jpg   nutsert2.jpg   nutsert3.jpg   nutsert4.jpg  

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #82
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Since I was so amazed by how AJ fixed the nutserts, I thought I would highlight that by itself. For anyone who is interested...
So what's AJ's history, training, background? It sounds like he's done all of this before. Let me guess, he started out in the Navy?
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #83
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Slick idea! I like it.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #84
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
So what's AJ's history, training, background? It sounds like he's done all of this before. Let me guess, he started out in the Navy?
I won't go into a lot about AJ, but he worked all his life. No military... he was in a biker gang! He learned by the "Hard Knocks" school. During his career he built race cars, bikes, and got into machining. He as traveled the world with the International Formula Car racing circuit, built and raced sprint cars, and he has a couple of patents pertaining to sprint cars. He is very congenial these days and can do/build virtually anything. A very, very great neighbor!

A couple of fun pics of things he built to help out around his house!

A pull behind mower from lawn mower parts and a wagon. He pulls it behind his Big Red 3-wheeler.

Simba... his homemade tractor. Chevy 350 powered!

And a grinder/sander disc. He used this tonight on Clay's frame. He cut it into a star shape to get into a crack! Worked great!
pull-behind-mower.jpg   simba1.jpg   simba2.jpg   simba3.jpg   star-sander.jpg  

Unread 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #85
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

So what's your plan on prepping the frame? Are you going to go with the Marine Clean/Metal Ready/POR-15? From what I gather from reading POR-15's website, it's designed to be used over a properly prepared rusty surface, so you shouldn't need a rust converter. Are you going to prep the inside of the frame too?
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #86
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

That nutsert process is genious! But I guess you always have to go up to a larger nut to do it.

And that angle grinder/wire wheel is a monster. If that was me running it without a full face shield I would have wires embedded in my face! Just the way my luck goes....
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #87
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
So what's your plan on prepping the frame? Are you going to go with the Marine Clean/Metal Ready/POR-15? From what I gather from reading POR-15's website, it's designed to be used over a properly prepared rusty surface, so you shouldn't need a rust converter. Are you going to prep the inside of the frame too?
I was planning on that very process. In fact, already bought the kit. AJ says not to use it... that the POR needs rust to activate it, and if there is no rust it won't stick. I guess he feels that there is not enough rust to be confident with the bond. He says to use the Marine Clean and Metal Ready, but to coat it with Chassis Black. So that's what I'll do and save the POR for the underside of my tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
That nutsert process is genious! But I guess you always have to go up to a larger nut to do it.

And that angle grinder/wire wheel is a monster. If that was me running it without a full face shield I would have wires embedded in my face! Just the way my luck goes....
You don't necessarily have to go to a larger nut. We did in this case because the PO drilled the hole out for a large bolt. Surprisingly, the wire was not flying off the wheel. I was thinking maybe it is the difference between cheap chain-store production tools and true commercial quality. I know all he had to do is bump the trigger on that monster and he cleaned an area.

Unread 07-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #88
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Up shift Light

As best I can tell from the 84-86 wiring diagram, there is an up shift switch and the light that are connected to the EEC and the diagnostic connector. So looks like the EEC got info somehow.

If you have downloaded the FSM it is on the instruments and instrument panel illumination page on the far right.
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #89
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow85cj View Post
As best I can tell from the 84-86 wiring diagram, there is an up shift switch and the light that are connected to the EEC and the diagnostic connector. So looks like the EEC got info somehow.

If you have downloaded the FSM it is on the instruments and instrument panel illumination page on the far right.
Thanks for doing that research. I have downloaded the FSM and I'll check it out.

Unread 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #90
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We have returned! I feel like I'm cheating since we're not actually doing the welding, and so many of you have, but if it progresses the build with little cost, I'll do it! Here is AJ patching the rotted part of the frame. He repaired several boogered areas that the PO did... for some reason. It would be interesting to know the history of this Jeep! We plan to sandblast this weekend (uhhh... again) and then prime and coat. The goal is to do everything in one day. Already prepped Clay for a l-o-n-g day! Enjoy the pics...
100_0674_1.jpg   100_0678_1.jpg   100_0685_1.jpg   100_0686_1.jpg   100_0687_1.jpg  

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.