Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clay's Build Thread

556K views 5K replies 145 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating posting a build thread for awhile. After viewing some of the current ones I got really pumped! I also figured that as long as I was going to be asking for help fixing stuff I might as well have it in the thread... so here we go. My 16 YO son, Clay, and I are building his CJ5. It's a 79 that I acquired in a boat/Jeep trade nearly 2 years ago. I got it for myself but I don't fit well, so I got a 7 and gave him the 5. He is really stoked about building the Jeep and I can't think of a better father/son project. Clay will be doing the work while I supervise ;). The 5 has a 258, T18A, D20 with axles from an 85 CJ7, D30 and AMC20. Gears are 2.72. We will probably go to a 3.73 in the future. It will get the RC 2.5" lift, Procomp 9000 shocks, and a urethane bushing kit (already purchased). It also has a FG tub which will require a bit of glass work. We had already completed the frame resto when we discovered that we didn't do it right. So we took it back down to bare metal again, finding some rot and a few cracks. We should have those repairs made in the next couple of weeks. After that the frame gets POR-15 and black implement paint. In the meantime, we'll be working on getting the engine painted and installing the MC2100. In these pics Clay is prepping the T18A for paint. He wanted to paint it silver with a red stripe, but I put the Kibash on that! So he settled for a silver tranny and red shift levers... when we get there. He plans to paint the rig International red (tractor paint) with a silver tub floor. Hmmmm... maybe! It MIGHT look good. We just finished watching the entire Season 2 of the Rat Patrol... so guess what HE wants to mount up!?!? :laugh:

Attachments

See less See more
#2,123 ·
There so cute. I love bacon.

Hey, you wouldn't be wearing T shirts here.

Hope the pictures come out.

Thats not rain either, Tex.

Bill
So you took a picture of an air vent!! Looks sort of like a periscope! Now you know WHY I don't live up there! :D

I smell bacon!!!
We won't actually get to eat these. The boys will show them at the fair and then sell them at auction. Somebody else will get the benefit of the meat, but the boys CAN do very well at auction.

#2,124 ·
Bill yer recent pictures paint an interesting story, first you show a Heep with with a out board motor gas can!
Then Ya'll comment on Scottys Genetic Engineering!
Then if we look at yer ability to keep the Skipper on point!
All I can say is yer a frozen Hillibilly Helper

Now Skipper yall know engines is messured in horsepower not pig power, and since you never showed any pictures of horses I am assuming that the Minnow will be pig powered. Though I can see the logic if yer planning on doing mud bogs with the Minnow. Care to elaborate?

#2,125 ·
Bill yer recent pictures paint an interesting story, first you show a Heep with with a out board motor gas can!
Then Ya'll comment on Scottys Genetic Engineering!
Then if we look at yer ability to keep the Skipper on point!
All I can say is yer a frozen Hillibilly Helper

Now Skipper yall know engines is messured in horsepower not pig power, and since you never showed any pictures of horses I am assuming that the Minnow will be pig powered. Though I can see the logic if yer planning on doing mud bogs with the Minnow. Care to elaborate?
Sorry Professor... let me explain. We switched to pigs a few days ago. We had to eat the horse, and the pigs are small enough to come inside. Capiche?

#2,131 ·
We'll have sausage dogs next time you pass through!!

Ah so you solved a couple of problems Skipper one being sustanace and the other being storage issues. Well done Skipper!
BTW what is the formula you used to figure to calculate how many pigs to make one horsepower?
One thing I think is very creative is the use of pigs to replace a 4-1 kit in your transfercase however I think you may suffer in high speed operation them stubby lil feet is gonna be moving very fast!
What we lose in top end we gain in low end torque. Real crawlin' machines. Mud holes?? No problem, we love 'em! PLUS, we can root up the ground looking for bugs!! :D

Rollerblades!
Pigs on rollerblades... I would pay to see that!

^^ quote from post 1 :p :p
There's a first post in this thread!? Can't remember it... :rolleyes:

#2,128 ·
Ah so you solved a couple of problems Skipper one being sustanace and the other being storage issues. Well done Skipper!
BTW what is the formula you used to figure to calculate how many pigs to make one horsepower?
One thing I think is very creative is the use of pigs to replace a 4-1 kit in your transfercase however I think you may suffer in high speed operation them stubby lil feet is gonna be moving very fast!

#2,132 ·
Bill AKA Gilligan what a novel idea pigs on roller blades. Do you have a sugestion say 33-37mud/ bogers?
Cause that would like like a Jeep pulling a Jeep.

There's a first post in this thread!? Can't remember it... :rolleyes:

Seems like someone is sufferin from "Ole Timers Diease!

#2,133 ·
Tires don't matter, you northern Il. Guys, geez. Every one South of I-80 knows they get hitched up just like 8 tiny reindeer.

You probabley also didn't know, they all have webbing between each of there little cloves.
Their horsepower to weight ratio isn't real good, but they are some torquey little suckers.
Hans, he's the lead pigglet, doesn't need a lighted nose, just a apple in his mouth.

Bill

#2,135 ·
Tires don't matter, you northern Il. Guys, geez. Every one South of I-80 knows they get hitched up just like 8 tiny reindeer.

You probabley also didn't know, they all have webbing between each of there little cloves.
Their horsepower to weight ratio isn't real good, but they are some torquey little suckers.
Hans, he's the lead pigglet, doesn't need a lighted nose, just a apple in his mouth.

Bill
That's what makes them so good at baseball. BTW, there's only two things in this world that you can't wear out, and one of them is a pig's nose! :D

#2,138 ·
30 years in So Cal? This explains everything, like totally dude.

And I have been in ligthened on pigs darn curious lil suckers do they normaly have German names?
Yes, except in India

That's what makes them so good at baseball. BTW, there's only two things in this world that you can't wear out, and one of them is a pig's nose! :D
Not going there, I do agree though

I though this was a jeep form, now I just come to laugh:)
Clays build is temporary moved to the tilt steering column thread, we're just keeping it close to the top so Scott can find it when he comes back.
:cheers2:

Bill

#2,141 ·
Glad you're laughing Dog!! We should be building bumpers tomorrow. However, Clay has gotten side-tracked making knives out of old mower blades. Think he's gonna weld them to the bumpers!?

CJDOGTOY This here a a propha CJ tech ni cal discussion! Ya'll seem to miss the point of Skipper Scotty in a pio neer, a leadeeer in the art of ino vative solutions to common Jeep problems. How eva I didnt say he was succesful in these here end evors!

Look at this as a propha Think Tank an we all chime in with crea tive idears.

Bill is Scottys best friend but he wont loan him money .50 cent to buy a steerin wheel, jus between you an me I think Bill ia a hi falutin closet Gummy Bear Rancher.

I think Ya"ll git my drift now.
Good stuff Geo. Innovative is very polite! Like...Totally! :D

Clays build is temporary moved to the tilt steering column thread, we're just keeping it close to the top so Scott can find it when he comes back.
:cheers2:

Bill
Very good point Bill. I got a little carried away! Thank you, Sir. :highfive:

Is there a link to it here? Didn't think I saw one, and I know I like linking a 'sub thread' from when I was doing my "build" thread...

Here is the Steering Thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tilt-steering-column-repair-stuck-need-help-please-1294496/
Thanks, Rick. I hadn't thought to do that. We are picking up another column from Mopar346 this Sunday. There may be no reason to continue my column thread... we'll see when we return.

#2,137 ·
CJDOGTOY This here a a propha CJ tech ni cal discussion! Ya'll seem to miss the point of Skipper Scotty in a pio neer, a leadeeer in the art of ino vative solutions to common Jeep problems. How eva I didnt say he was succesful in these here end evors!

Look at this as a propha Think Tank an we all chime in with crea tive idears.

Bill is Scottys best friend but he wont loan him money .50 cent to buy a steerin wheel, jus between you an me I think Bill ia a hi falutin closet Gummy Bear Rancher.

I think Ya"ll git my drift now.

#2,139 ·
#2,140 ·
Well I screwed up! Got the tubing bender out of the box and unpacked it last night. Put it together, but I didn't bolt it down yet. Got out the directions and went through them, all the time wondering where the explanation was for "how on earth do you bend tubing"!? There wasn't any. I have to say that these are the very best, most well-written Chinese directions I have ever seen! The grammar is actually correct. It justs lacks a description of how to use the tool! I kept wondering why it was showing pictures of bending flat stock and solid stock. And I wondered why none of the die have a radius?? And then I read the description on the box! I guess this would be one time when my wife would be correct... I don't read the directions. But I ain't gonna tell her! :nono: This bender is for bending flat stock and solid stock... just like it says on the label. NOT tubing. I was disappointed, to say the least, but Clay was completely deflated. We are planning on bending tubing very soon, so now I have to take this back and get one.

BTW- Clay finished his semester with "A"s in all his classes... Spanish 4, Chemistry, and Welding. He will start TIG next semester.

#2,145 ·
Hey, before you Leave Sunday, check the HF web site, you might be able to return the bender at another store.

Tell Clay, good job!

Bill

#2,147 ·
Ok CJdogtoy now watch an learn young fella.

Well I screwed up! Got the tubing bender out of the box and unpacked it last night. Put it together, but I didn't bolt it down yet. Got out the directions and went through them, all the time wondering where the explanation was for "how on earth do you bend tubing"!? There wasn't any. I have to say that these are the very best, most well-written Chinese directions I have ever seen! The grammar is actually correct. It justs lacks a description of how to use the tool! I kept wondering why it was showing pictures of bending flat stock and solid stock. And I wondered why none of the die have a radius?? And then I read the description on the box! I guess this would be one time when my wife would be correct... I don't read the directions. But I ain't gonna tell her!
This bender is for bending flat stock and solid stock... just like it says on the label. NOT tubing. I was disappointed, to say the least, but Clay was completely deflated. We are planning on bending tubing very soon, so now I have to take this back and get one.

Now what the Skipper will proally do is re-gift this bender to his wife so she can make flat bread sandwiches which we all know is the latest fad.

#2,148 ·
Got a little work done today. Pulled the tub and finished getting the tub mount holes drilled through the bottom. Also got the gas door housing cut out, which I screwed up! In the pics you can see the original box I marked off according to the measurements on my 7. It would have been fine, but when I checked the inside of the fender well there is some factory wood sandwiched between the glass laters. The housing needed to utilize that wood for the mounting screws, and it hung off the wood by half. And then someone mentioned how the gas would come back out the filler neck when pumping, because it went inside the tank so slowly. So I allowed the gas hoses to "fall" where they wanted to, and then raised them up some so there is more of a drop to the tank... thinking this would eliminate pumping too fast and gas spewing back out. The problem is going to be with the factory lights. I don't have enough room now! So I'll need to go with some kind of flush-mount aftermarket lighting, which will be cool anyway.

Cut out the hole for the housing and discovered the factory wood is completely rotten! Go figure. It is what it is.

So here's the pics of today's tub work.

Attachments

#2,149 ·
And Clay started working on his bumpers. Not sure if he is doing the front or the back?? He's just metal-working! Thanks to Eddie for providing info on "how-to". Here's a pic of the HF chop saw that I bought. It cut alright, but it's not speedy. Comes with an extra set of brushes. Okay purchase for the money.

Clay in action!! He didn't get done. He "had" to go to town! Kid likes to drive, even though it's his mama's van!!! :rofl:

Attachments

#2,256 · (Edited)
...Here's a pic of the HF chop saw that I bought. It cut alright, but it's not speedy. Comes with an extra set of brushes. Okay purchase for the money:
I'm catching up on some old posts. I have the same saw and agree with you: It's not fast. I my experience, this saw has these problems:

1) Not great at cutting anything over 1/8" thick.
2) Heats the metal up (orange hot) while cutting slow.
3) Vibrates, especially when the cutting disk gets a gouge. The vibration causes the work piece to move out of position even if it's clamped in tight.

For quick and dirty cuts, it will work, but I've had better luck getting clean and accurate cuts with my HF angle ginder with an abrasive cutting disk. It's the kind of thing where you really start to appreciate the high priced saws used commercially.

#2,151 ·
I can understand!! I left that wood because it was completely sealed in the back. Wasn't soft when I pushed on the glass. I figure the moisture must have seeped in from where the PO had cut out the tailgate. He didn't seal up the side openings he created. Not sure what I'm going to do. I really want to be done with glass work! You're probably in good shape Rick. Just seal up any raw wood edges you might have created.

#2,155 ·
George- That's just funny!! Cracked me up. Now I gotta go out and buy some boots! :rofl:

Clays Fiberglass Tub Reminds me of A Boat I had back in the day. Everything seemed solid and it looked Good. But, Come to find out the Wooden Stringers that we're glasses over inside the hull were completely rotten. I could stick a screw driver right through them.
I'm sorry.
That really sucks that there is still more issues with that tub. I have watched as you guys have put countless hours into it.
Wouldn't have been so bad had I just addressed it at the beginning, when we were rocking with the glass. But now I'm over it! I'll come up with something. There is no way this tub is going to come apart, so I don't know why I'm fretting so much.

Rotten stringers in my first bad boat purchase is the reason I started doing glass work to begin with! To save my investment. I know just what you mean.