Clay's Build Thread - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Reply
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #766
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Hey Scott,

Make a template from 3/4" or 1/2" pvc pipe or whatever size fits in the holes in the bottom of the tub. I am sure you have some pvc pipe laying around after mowing down the hose bib

Two elbows, two 2" pieces of pipe, stick the elbows and nipples together, cut the main pipe to length using the front and rear tub mounts. Set the location of the crossmember one one side, verify the mount locations and throw the pipe and fittings back in the plumbing pile.
Excellent idea!

__________________
www.crabtreetool.com (Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #767
adkmehrman
Junior Member
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 88
wow just read all 52 pages great build and great life, you make me jealous
adkmehrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #768
twildt
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 433
yeah, i just went through your build too, great stuff here. Heater box? in Florida? nah, you don't need one of those

And not having TV thing, is your internet cable or dsl?


.
__________________
Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #769
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Hey Scott,

Make a template from 3/4" or 1/2" pvc pipe or whatever size fits in the holes in the bottom of the tub. I am sure you have some pvc pipe laying around after mowing down the hose bib

Two elbows, two 2" pieces of pipe, stick the elbows and nipples together, cut the main pipe to length using the front and rear tub mounts. Set the location of the crossmember one one side, verify the mount locations and throw the pipe and fittings back in the plumbing pile.
Made me LAUGH outright! Thanks Buddy!

There are no factory mounting points in the tub... the PO bored holes in the floor and used 2" bushings to mount to the frame. I don't trust anything he did. You and Vince are guiding me along the Template Path, and I apologize, but what good will a template be if the holes are not "square" to start with? I don't fully understand both of your ideas and I need some more explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkmehrman View Post
wow just read all 52 pages great build and great life, you make me jealous
Don't want you to be jealous, Brother, just blessed. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildt View Post
yeah, i just went through your build too, great stuff here. Heater box? in Florida? nah, you don't need one of those

And not having TV thing, is your internet cable or dsl?.
Man it was 26 here this morning! That's cold, I don't care where you live. I went hunting this evening. Got home at 6:15, and my toes are STILL cold! The deer are wearing coats!! FWIW... I have been in Grand Forks North Dakota in November and January. I DO know what cold is, and I can't believe people are actually tough enough to endure. I am not!

Our internet is satellite... Hughes Net. No cable or DSL here... not enough people to bring it in.
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #770
Eaglekeeper
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Panama City, Fl
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
There are no factory mounting points in the tub... the PO bored holes in the floor and used 2" bushings to mount to the frame.

Man it was 26 here this morning! That's cold, I don't care where you live.
Ahhhh, the infamous PO strikes again Keep the faith, you'll figure it out

I hear ya on the temps Scott. 21 at my house this morning. Any temp under 55 in Fl should be outlawed.
__________________
86 CJ7, 258 Engine, T-177, Dana 300.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/let-games-begin-new-build-86-cj7-1046943/[/url]

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #771
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Made me LAUGH outright! Thanks Buddy!

There are no factory mounting points in the tub... the PO bored holes in the floor and used 2" bushings to mount to the frame. I don't trust anything he did. You and Vince are guiding me along the Template Path, and I apologize, but what good will a template be if the holes are not "square" to start with? I don't fully understand both of your ideas and I need some more explanation.
Are the 2" holes clear through the tub or do you have bolt holes (1/2" +/-) on the inside of the tub?

I believe you will be fine if you measure and make a template using the front and rear tub mount bolt holes. Even if the frame is twisted, crooked or out of square, you have to match the bolt holes in the tub you have with the frame you have.
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #772
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
Hey Scott, I have a place out in the sticks as well, how do you like hughes net?

P.S. I'll be thinking of you folks in cold while I drive to work in shorts tomarrow with the doors off.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #773
twildt
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 433
well skerr then i won't mention netflix streaming and how awesome it is hooked up to my TV... cuz hughs net probably caps your internet

hey cjdogtoy.......
__________________
Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #774
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
just remember the other side of that is in the summer I'll be driveing it in 120 degree pluss stop and go traffic wile you guys are nice and cool
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #775
twildt
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 433
LoL, your right, i bet its like an oven out there, although, when its 90 in the midwest, if you even look out a window you start sweating from all the humidity...
__________________
Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #776
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac
 
SlikRic's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Port, Florida
Posts: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Ahhhh, the infamous PO strikes again Keep the faith, you'll figure it out

I hear ya on the temps Scott. 21 at my house this morning. Any temp under 55 in Fl should be outlawed.
Damm, I was freezing at 31* this morning, I can't even imagine 21*
Yes, I know cold, I was born in Sault St. Marie (UP) Mich. That's why I'm down here, but these current temps suck, 33* outside and still dropping.
__________________
United States of America
Born: July 4, 1776
Died: Nov 4, 2008
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #777
SonicR1
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CenCal
Posts: 1,495
our low this week is 45... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

but, it's sposda rain...
__________________
[COLOR="Red"]... I guess I'm gonna have to fix that too…….[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #778
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Are the 2" holes clear through the tub or do you have bolt holes (1/2" +/-) on the inside of the tub?

I believe you will be fine if you measure and make a template using the front and rear tub mount bolt holes. Even if the frame is twisted, crooked or out of square, you have to match the bolt holes in the tub you have with the frame you have.
Yeah... the holes are clear through the tub. I surely don't mean to project that I am dimwitted, at least not on the World Wide Web , but the PO mounted the FG tub on a twisted frame to start with. What are the chances the front and rear holes are square to the frame? Am I understanding what you are saying? If I make a template of the frame holes it should match up with the holes that the PO drilled through the tub. How does that help me. Not being smart, just slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
Hey Scott, I have a place out in the sticks as well, how do you like hughes net?

P.S. I'll be thinking of you folks in cold while I drive to work in shorts tomarrow with the doors off.
Hughes Net is alright. We have the mid level plan. It serves our purposes, mostly classes for the boys, but you lose it when you have bad weather. That can create problems when there is something that needs to be completed, like a test. It is our only option, unless you use your cell phone, which is also very limited out here.

Glad you get to wear your shorts tomorrow. I'll be wearing a coat, but I'll actually get to see trees and plants on my drive to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildt View Post
well skerr then i won't mention netflix streaming and how awesome it is hooked up to my TV... cuz hughs net probably caps your internet

hey cjdogtoy.......
It does cap, and I am too poor to go the unlimited route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
just remember the other side of that is in the summer I'll be driveing it in 120 degree pluss stop and go traffic wile you guys are nice and cool
I'll bet you never even sweat!
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #779
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Yeah... the holes are clear through the tub. I surely don't mean to project that I am dimwitted, at least not on the World Wide Web , but the PO mounted the FG tub on a twisted frame to start with. What are the chances the front and rear holes are square to the frame? Am I understanding what you are saying? If I make a template of the frame holes it should match up with the holes that the PO drilled through the tub. How does that help me. Not being smart, just slow!

I am a dumba$$, I was picturing my tub and mounts and forgot you have a glass tub
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #780
SonicR1
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CenCal
Posts: 1,495
Come on Dave, you're not a dumba$$, your not the one with the glass tub.... hehehehe Just kidding Scott!!!!!! A glass tub may be in my future... couldn't pass up the on the funnin....
__________________
[COLOR="Red"]... I guess I'm gonna have to fix that too…….[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.