Clay's Build Thread - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #751
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are a few items that Clay picked up from a guy in Ohio (Mike). He was advertising in the For Sale section. He still had the full soft top with hardware for $250. We also got the entire heater box, a speedo, harness, spring plates, and bags of assorted hardware. Everything was $400. A great buy for Clay. The top is in very good shape.

img_3807_1.jpg   img_3808_1.jpg   img_3809_1.jpg   img_3810_1.jpg   img_3812_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #752
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

The top looks like it's a good one. That sounds like a good price too. Some clean up and tlc on the heater box and Clay will have a heater. Are you going to replace the blower motor while it's out and maybe the core?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #753
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Nice find, I ran into a guy that use your signature the other day in a conversation,

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

I stated I've seen that quote on Jeep Forum, he said it's an automotive thing. What's your origination of the quote?? I thought maybe your a electrician...
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #754
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
The top looks like it's a good one. That sounds like a good price too. Some clean up and tlc on the heater box and Clay will have a heater. Are you going to replace the blower motor while it's out and maybe the core?
Definitely will do the blower motor upgrade. With the great threads for heater rebuilding it should be pretty easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Nice find, I ran into a guy that use your signature the other day in a conversation,

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

I stated I've seen that quote on Jeep Forum, he said it's an automotive thing. What's your origination of the quote?? I thought maybe your a electrician...
I have no great claims to the phrase. Many years ago I got an e-mail that had a whole page of phrases, and that one tickled me bad! I always thought of it as a redneck thing! And if the shoe fits...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #755
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BAH!!! Heaters are over rated!!! OK, once again, I'm just jealous.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #756
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks like a great find.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #757
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Scott. Nice score! Did you find any hidden treasures in the box?

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #758
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott. Nice score! Did you find any hidden treasures in the box?
Like the keys to a "Never Issued" CJ that's still wrapped in plastic? No... bummer.

The PO had stripped this Jeep down to the essential things that made it run and drive. Clay got a complete harness and speedo, so maybe between the two we will have a working one. After watching Mike tinker with his I think we're in good shape. After watching Rick rebuild his heater box I think we can do that too. I haven't found the spring plates yet, but I haven't unpacked everything.

You know what I figured out?? It's so frustrating! I can't mount the rear crossmember yet because I need to mount the tub to make sure the Xmember is oriented correctly. I can't do any drive shaft work because I want to swap the yokes, and I need a new seal on the 20... and I want to swap to 3.55 gears so there isn't any reason to get into drive lines yet... it's gotta go to the shop. I can't paint the hood yet because I want to paint the fenders too, so the hood is sitting while I wait to finish the fender prep. I have stuff started all over the dad-gum shop with no place to walk and no end in sight!

I DID do some FG work yesterday... but so what!

Unread 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #759
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Scott can you measure from the body mounts points that you do have and from that get the location for the rear crossmember. That's what I did on mine. I found a complete diagram of the locations online. That would let you get that part done.

I do understand the frustration in waiting on this to do that. I'm in the same boat with some of mine. But we're making progress!!

My build thread
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #760
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1611 View Post

i do understand the frustration in waiting on this to do that. I'm in the same boat with some of mine. But we're making progress!!
yup!!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #761
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Did some looking.
jeep_cj5_frame_dimensions.jpg  

My build thread
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #762
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Thanks Guys. I decided to keep them! It's a great time of year.
Indeed, you are a blessed man! Great shots of the family! Merry Christmas, Skerr!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #763
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Scott can you measure from the body mounts points that you do have and from that get the location for the rear crossmember. That's what I did on mine. I found a complete diagram of the locations online. That would let you get that part done.

I do understand the frustration in waiting on this to do that. I'm in the same boat with some of mine. But we're making progress!!
The potential problem with measuring from mount to mount is... when we had the frame straightened, the guy chained up the rear horn and pulled it over. I wanted him to cut the wheel arch crossmembers and pull it over, then weld in a patch for those crossmembers, but he didn't do that. He just pulled the horn and actually put a slight kink in the frame. Everything is now straight, as in the axles line up. Ordinarily, I would have measured between the horns, found the center, and welded up the rear Xmember, but since one horn is kind of tweaked over, I'm not certain that measuring to the center is the best thing to do. I want to set the tub on the frame and get it straight, so it doesn't look like it's running sideways down the road! Then weld up the Xmember. I'm not smart enough to do the math and figure out the measurments if it is tweaked! But I have a strong back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Indeed, you are a blessed man! Great shots of the family! Merry Christmas, Skerr!
Yes, I am Blessed. I have to remind myself from time to time. I appreciate it!

Unread 12-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #764
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Probably is best to sit the tub on Scott. You've got more strong backs there at home to help with that.

My build thread
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #765
1983 CJ7 

Hey Scott,

Make a template from 3/4" or 1/2" pvc pipe or whatever size fits in the holes in the bottom of the tub. I am sure you have some pvc pipe laying around after mowing down the hose bib

Two elbows, two 2" pieces of pipe, stick the elbows and nipples together, cut the main pipe to length using the front and rear tub mounts. Set the location of the crossmember one one side, verify the mount locations and throw the pipe and fittings back in the plumbing pile.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.