Clay's Build Thread - Page 357 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-06-2014, 05:20 AM   #5341
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
If you need two sensors...

See now, that is just what I was thinking when I started asking about the thermostat housing. Do you end up with air interfering with the sensor with it set up like that?

Now you've got me curious Scott, I'm gonna have to trudge through the snow out back and look at my 4.0L and see what it has.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #5342
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
If you need two sensors...

That's a nifty idea Dave. I had thought of something similar for a temp switch for my e-fan.

Whenever you finish your jeep will you post a final pic in the CJ section? I enjoyed your build thread while it lasted.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #5343
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I have a hard time believing those sensors will get the full coolant temperature without being in the flow of coolant. At least they would warm up later than a sensor mounted directly.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #5344
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Lee... the double sensor rig is more for the benefit of the computer than for actual data. The computer needs to read in two places, and that is what's provided by the OP. That's OBDII, btw. OBDI needs only one coolant temp reading for the ECM. But in the above pic, if you really wanted to, you could drill/tap a fitting in each boss of the tstat and get the actual temps. Even though I believe the brass will transfer the heat well enough to be pretty accurate.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #5345
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Does anyone have any insight on the oil leak at the head gasket on a 4.0? I Googled the problem, and apparently there was a range of years where this was a problem, but Clay's '97 does not fall in that span. The pass side of the block is getting wet from a weep site, just above the dizzy. It isn't the dizzy, or VC, or RMS. We paln to retorque the head bolts and change VC gasket. If we don't manage to stop it, what is the best suggestion? Just run it? Or should we pull the head and replace the gasket? If we pull the head should we rebuild the head while it is off?

Not sure what I need to do...

Thanks.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #5346
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The area where we live is really very pretty. People could come here from the city and think we were way of the grid. But it's not that far away from civilization, and all the modern conveniences are close by. The videos I am posting make it look like we have gone to some remote place, but it is walking distance from the house. The river is the Suwannee River. I live across the road from it. We are driving down to the pavilion where we cook out, camp, swim, launch canoes, tie up the boat, whatever. The red posts/painted rings mark the boundaries for the Florida Trail, which is a hiking trail that traverses the state. The wheeling we are doing is low impact, but it is the hardest use this Jeep has seen! Clay is feeling like a king, and Beth wants to find some Jeeping events to go to. For me... it's working! Enjoy the vids and where I live.

The first video we have turned out of my driveway onto the dirt road. The drop off next to the road is the beginning of what is called the Suwannee Valley, and most of it is flood plain.

The second video is driving down the sloping hill to the river. George... this is where I took you. We stood on the river bank, but the water is way up from the when you saw it.

The third video is just scooting around in the woods a little. The shack is an almost completed stilt house that a property owner began to construct. The state came through and made offers on this property, for the purpose of preservation, and most folks sold the river land. Stilts are necessary as the river overflows the banks every three or fours years. Even though the shack is up in the air, the last flood shows a water line half way up the wall. it isn't tall enough!! I made an offer on a 5 acre parcel just down from where we are. My offer was accepted at $57,500. My neighbor said I was a fool to pay that much. We ended up not getting it, and the same parcel sold to someone else for $52,500. The state came through a year later and bought it up... and paid $240,000 for the same parcel. Freaking unbelievable!

The rattle snake is real. A Canebreak, or Timber rattler... different names for the same snake. Beautiful, this one had recently shed. It was between 3 and 4 feet long. Fallon nearly ranover it with his bicylce!!

img_0828_1.jpg   img_0830_1.jpg   img_0839_1.jpg  

Unread 04-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #5347
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I get some neat pictures up, and nobody cares?? I am depressed....

Unread 04-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #5348
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper I have been out there you forget that there are several signs along the way to your house that say "now entering an area that time lost" and if I recall correctly there is a sign that says "next civilization two light years away".
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #5349
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Skipper, that pic reminds me that I need to call my ex later

Shawn
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #5350
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper I have been out there you forget that there are several signs along the way to your house that say "now entering an area that time lost" and if I recall correctly there is a sign that says "next civilization two light years away".
I think you are the only one that has been down there, except the water was low when you visited. Definitely feels like you are "away" when you hit the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Skipper, that pic reminds me that I need to call my ex later

Shawn
OWWW!

Unread 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #5351
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

I'd eat that rattler with some mayonnaise!
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #5352
Scott3140

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like you have lots of room to play with your Jeeps. Now to get to work on yours.
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #5353
Darksidehybrid
1980 CJ5 

I'm using the "I almost never post" defense.
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #5354
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
I'd eat that rattler with some mayonnaise!
Mayonnaise!? Really? How do you prepare it? I always fry it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
It looks like you have lots of room to play with your Jeeps. Now to get to work on yours.
Indeed! I have rebuilt tranny/Tcase sitting on the floor. I have to rebuild the axles, and get some tires. That's all I have left to do. I just need more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksidehybrid View Post
I'm using the "I almost never post" defense.
You are forgiven!! Glad you posted today!

Unread 04-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #5355
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Mayonnaise!? Really? How do you prepare it? I always fry it.

Indeed! I have rebuilt tranny/Tcase sitting on the floor. I have to rebuild the axles, and get some tires. That's all I have left to do. I just need more time!

You are forgiven!! Glad you posted today!
I'm just screwing about I have almost lost my cj drive! I think I need an intervention!

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.