Clay's Build Thread - Page 355 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #5311
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Okay. I finally have some time. Bill wanted to know if Clay is alright. Yes, he is fine. The JEEP is not, and I worked so hard on it. I didn't say anything to him about it. Well, I DID say "I told you so...", and he took it well.

His right turn signal wasn't working. I told him to trace the ground. He finally discovered the problem. It was a ground. Amazing.

He has to be his own man, and I have to let him. He is learning. I'm proud of him for finding the issue.

dsc07566_1.jpg

dsc07567_1.jpg

dsc07568_1.jpg

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #5312
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I thought you were gonna say he wrecked it staring at girls or something. Sheesh!!!
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #5313
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Scott....that's an education that NO school offers!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #5314
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
Scott, Being realistic I doubt you could expect any better gas mileage from Clays Jeep, than what you posted in SloKens thread. Our ,94 YJ with the 4.0, automatic, 3.07 gears,stock tires, tuned up, and no lift, only got 16 mpg at 70 mph/2000rpm, this was with a light right foot, and me being overly conscious of mpg's. add in Clay's lift and oversized tires, I think your lucky to be getting 14/16 mpg's, and you can't be certain of the mileage, because its a guessing game because you haven't corrected the speedo. I would guess your getting closer to 12/13 mpg's. The best combined mileage I've Calculated with the '05 Rubicon , with a cautious right foot is 17.2 mpg's. this is with a lock-up torque converter, and a overdrive tranny. Tires are 245.75.16.(30.5.9.50 tire) with 4.10 gears. Bill
Lucdog, it has been my understanding that since clay has bigger tires on his jeep than stock ones that his milage is actually showing less miles traveled than what he is actually traveling. Therefore, showing less actual gas milage. So, if he had a corrected speedo or the stock size tires it would show the correct milage and better fuel economy because more miles were traveled on the tank of gas. I would think that his fuel economy is actually better than what they are thinking. I could be wrong. If so please explain. Not that 1 mile/gallon either way will make a big difference. It's a jeep.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #5315
Scott3140

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad everyone is ok. Now he will be able to help you rewire your 7.
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #5316
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Umm...did Clay tear his entire dash apart hunting for a turn-signal glitch, or did I miss something?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #5317
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Thats certainly an interesting approach to tracing grounds!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #5318
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
I thought you were gonna say he wrecked it staring at girls or something. Sheesh!!!
Nope... nothing that glamorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Scott....that's an education that NO school offers!

Rich
yes, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
Glad everyone is ok. Now he will be able to help you rewire your 7.
He ain't touching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Umm...did Clay tear his entire dash apart hunting for a turn-signal glitch, or did I miss something?

Matt
Yes. He did. A lesson in humility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Thats certainly an interesting approach to tracing grounds!
That's being gracious!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #5319
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A excellent learning experiance . May as well put the heater and defroster in at this point.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #5320
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post

Lucdog, it has been my understanding that since clay has bigger tires on his jeep than stock ones that his milage is actually showing less miles traveled than what he is actually traveling. Therefore, showing less actual gas milage. So, if he had a corrected speedo or the stock size tires it would show the correct milage and better fuel economy because more miles were traveled on the tank of gas. I would think that his fuel economy is actually better than what they are thinking. I could be wrong. If so please explain. Not that 1 mile/gallon either way will make a big difference. It's a jeep.
I have found, by using a GPS, that I need to add 10% to whatever my speedo shows, and so it is with the odometer as well. So when I calculate fuel economy it is actually 10% better than the equation would show.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #5321
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Don't rule that out. He still has plenty of time left
Unread 12-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #5322
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

A Clay update...

He pulled his WS as he found some rust on it. If you remember, way back in the build, we repaired the WS frame. The rust is popping through, due, I'm sure, to poor prep and repair skills. After removing the glass Clay found rust holes starting in the gasket flange (the flange hidden by the glass/rubber seal). As he cut out these places and started to weld in new metal, he kept blowing through the metal. Out of frustration, Clay bought a new Crown WS frame. So our repaired frame will become something of an ornament, commemorating our lost virginity.

Clay and I sat down yesterday, with the dash harness on the picnic table, and we ohmed-out everything. I could not find any problems with the harness! I have a question, however... in reference to the aftermarket gauge lighting, specifically the sockets. The socket has separate hot and ground wires. With no bulb present, there is infinite ohms between the two wires. With a bulb installed in the socket I have 0 ohms between the wires. Is that correct? I guess it is, but it seems like a dead ground to the hot side??

I bought Clay a small strip of flexible LEDs for the speedo cluster as seen on someone else's thread. He installed them. So far, so good, but it may be too much light. Pics to follow.

We are all good here. Christmas was fabulous. Thanks, Gido, for the card... as you said, You didn't have to do that!

I am tired. I need a break. I am ignoring JF for a bit. No problems with anyone, just lessening my load for a short time.

Talk to ya'll soon.

Blessings, Everyone...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #5323
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Happy Belated New Year, Gentlemen!

We are plugging away, and I am beginning to see a glow at the end of the tunnel. House projects are nearly completed, inlaws are gone back to Georgia, weather is cooperating a bit. We managaed to actually work on Jeeps today with good progress. Let's see... I did knock-down in the bathroom, helped install speakers in my son's F150, helped Clay get a coat of paint on his new windshield, and worked a good bit on the XJ. Here's an update.

I had mentioned that Clay pulled his wiring harness. Here's the harness with Clay and G'pa working on it. Clay got it reinstalled, but he still has a problem with the signals blinking once the pull on the headlights. haven't figured that one out yet... I'm guessing a ground/connection somewhere.

And here's a pic of the LEDs Clay installed into his speedo housing. I don't have a night shot yet, but they look pretty good.

And some nostalgia! Here are some pics of the the rot coming back into the windshield frame. Clay cut out a piece from an inside bottom corner. This was bad when we got the frame, and we cut and welded new metal. Look at the pic with all the wires sticking out!!! Tell me we weren't total rookies!! That was me starting new welds and missing the the metal because I couldn't see well! Wow!

New WS pics. This Crown WS frame fits well, but the spot welds are very apparent. We haven't fitted glass into it yet.

I hope everyone is doing well...
img_0005_1.jpg

img_0010_1.jpg

img_0006_1.jpg

img_0007_1.jpg

img_0023_1.jpg

img_0011_1.jpg

img_0021_1.jpg

img_0022_1.jpg

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #5324
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hi All,
I have been gone awhile! Sorry about that. We remain very busy, juggling more stuff than I ever wanted to. We have managed to fit in a bit of Jeep work in the meantime... here is the latest.

The LED lights work very well, making the top half of the speedo extremely visible. Clay did not install the second LED strip around the bottom, so the factory lighting is still in place there. The lighting is uneven, but much better than stock.

The new O-A windshield worked well. Besides a couple of finish flaws, it bolted up correctly, and the gasket/glass fit correctly. Looks good. Glad to have a WS without rust. We had to remove the small lip at the bottom flange to make the cowl seal sit correctly (as documented in commodore64's thread... or maybe it was Paul's??). The cowl seal seals tightly, and we had to use muscle to bring the WS frame into place. No more rain water dripping through the gaps and onto the speedo and dash. WS glass installation cost $24 at our local shop. Frame is painted black rather than desert tan.

The 4.0 engine is running a bit rough, and I estimate the mileage to be slightly over 10 mpg. I don't have time to play with it right now.

Clay has rebuilt his rear crossmember, reinforced with 3/16 plate for strength. His spare tire carrier was cracking the factory crossmember. He has to reinstall his carrier.

More to come in this ongoing saga...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #5325
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I have a couple questions that I need help with. Clay has been telling me about little problems occurring while driving his Jeep. He says it is running hot. He says the oil pressure is fluctuating drastically. I will be driving it this weekend as he is out of town. This is what we have dicovered, so far.

First, the gauges are Sun Pro from AZ. Cheap gauges.
Oil pressure fluctuates between 30 and 60 psi while driving at 45 MPH. This is a mechanical oil pressure gauge. It has air in the plastic line. It is not leaking.

The water temp gauge is electric. It will show temps upwards of 240 and sometimes 260. Usually, the temp shows higher when the oil pressure drops.

Clay bought an IR temp gun. He is checking temps at the Tstat housing, and top and bottom of the radiator. The temp gun shows temps around 200*. This is the 2nd temp gauge we have installed. I think it is junk! But why is the oil pressure dropping when the temp gauge goes higher?

The engine sounds fine. It purrs and has plenty of power. We did a compression test.
1= 145 psi
2= 165
3= 175
4, 5, and 6= 180.

What does this mean? Bad valves in cylinder 1? Can this all be related, or are we having separate issues? Clay does not have a PCV.

Thanks, All.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.