Clay's Build Thread - Page 353 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #5281
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

2, I think, Paul. I'll look into this. How do you connect a power source?
DOH, with wires, not a hammer.

image-1972414782.jpg

Or you could just google what you see in the picture. Like Paul said, hot with key in run position, and a ground.

I think.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #5282
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper if it is two that you have then one is a ground to the computer and the other generates a signal to the computer and IRRC its .5-1.5 volts.
Three wire is one hot from the computer to the heating element along with a shared ground then the signal wire.
Four is one hot two grounds and a signal wire.

If you have a location on your header for the O-2 sensor I would move it there.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #5283
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

I am still watching you guys. lol
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #5284
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

White whites are for the heater. Black or gray is the sensor side.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #5285
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

And it was nice to get to meet you folks Saturday, we really enjoyed the visit! Thank you for the invite to stop by! Randi said on the way home how that's how we'll probably be after years of marriage - I would have to say that is a compliment to us, as you have a really nice family!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #5286
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Rick, I'm sorry I didn't already get something posted about your visit. It was my plan, but I just didn't get it done.

Rick and his new wife took time out of their honeymoon trip to stop by our house for a visit. We are on a main trail into the state, unless you're running the coast... which they sort of were, so they went a good distance out of their way to see us. I can't describe how much it means to be able to meet folks I have been communicating with FOR YEARS! Rick immediately helped solve an XJ problem! I love it! Great visit. Great conversation. Thank you Both. My marriage has been awesome. I pray the same for you two.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #5287
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

And I also want to acknowledge SLO_Ken, who bought a catalytic coverter from me (used) and paid more than I asked. Wassup wit dat! There are some mighty folks on this forum, spread all over the nation. Thank you, Ken. I sincerely hope it will serve your purpose.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #5288
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Hey Scott,

Turns out my PMs are all jacked up dive I'm no longer a paying member. So in regard to your earlier message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Hey Danny Boy! I am wondering if you have the time, inclination, and inspiration to draw me up an easy "I-can-make-it-at-home" 3 link suspension system for Fallon's XJ Cherokee. I know I can build it, but I am not sure how to measure for it, or from where I should be measuring. Do you have any input? I remember the drawings you made earlier in your thread... that's what brought you to the forefront of my mind! This would be for a D30 axle. Scott
I will certainly give it a shot

It may take me a lil' while, but I'd love to help you out. It would help a bunch if I had a few pics of the original control arm mounts and how they connect. It's a lot like my dodge ram, but I wanna make sure I have it nailed.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #5289
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
And I also want to acknowledge SLO_Ken, who bought a catalytic coverter from me (used) and paid more than I asked. Wassup wit dat! There are some mighty folks on this forum, spread all over the nation. Thank you, Ken. I sincerely hope it will serve your purpose.
I hope it does too! I'm talking with the smog referee this week to determine if my engine change will need to meet CA or FED emission standards. If it's FED, then I think it should be good to go!
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #5290
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Hey Scott,

Turns out my PMs are all jacked up dive I'm no longer a paying member. So in regard to your earlier message...

I will certainly give it a shot

It may take me a lil' while, but I'd love to help you out. It would help a bunch if I had a few pics of the original control arm mounts and how they connect. It's a lot like my dodge ram, but I wanna make sure I have it nailed.
I'll get that for you, then we'll go over to Fallon's thread. Thanks, Daniel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I hope it does too! I'm talking with the smog referee this week to determine if my engine change will need to meet CA or FED emission standards. If it's FED, then I think it should be good to go!
Fingers crossed, Ken.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #5291
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I just <gasp> finished reading <pant> this entire thread in two days. I feel like I know all you guys so well! Now that you are at this point I don't have anything to contribute except to confirm the info about 3/4wire O2 sensors being the self heating type.

One question... When the driveshaft failed why didn't you put it in 4WD and drive home using the front wheels ala FWD?

Don't hate me for this, but yesterday I sold my Subaru. 166,000 miles and the most major work ever done afaik was brakes and exhaust. Ok Ok I hear y'all gasping at the heretical statement, but I can redeem myself! I sold it so I can get an 86 CJ7 with a 360, t176, D300.

Thanks for letting me join in... Uhh, assuming I don't hear differently.

Lee
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #5292
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
I just <gasp> finished reading <pant> this entire thread in two days. I feel like I know all you guys so well! Now that you are at this point I don't have anything to contribute except to confirm the info about 3/4wire O2 sensors being the self heating type.

One question... When the driveshaft failed why didn't you put it in 4WD and drive home using the front wheels ala FWD?

Don't hate me for this, but yesterday I sold my Subaru. 166,000 miles and the most major work ever done afaik was brakes and exhaust. Ok Ok I hear y'all gasping at the heretical statement, but I can redeem myself! I sold it so I can get an 86 CJ7 with a 360, t176, D300.

Thanks for letting me join in... Uhh, assuming I don't hear differently.

Lee
Welcome Scrounger. This thread has certainly been epic! I can't believe you read the whole thing. There are only a handful of guys who have done that. I am humbled!

Ironic it is at the stage of something you are familiar with. For me, O2 sensors is something new. Thanks for the follow up and confirmation.

And no foul regarding the Subaru. I've never owned one, but I bust Dave's chops every chance I get!!

We never installed Clay's front drive shaft. In fact, I have completely forgotten about it! I regeared the rear end and I never did the front. I will probably complete it this winter now that my Jeep is up on blocks.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #5293
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I took Clay's Jeep into the shop yesterday to have the codes read. All that is showing is A/C relay and fan relay. A/C is disconnected... have to figure out how to fool the ECM on that one. Have not yet figured out the fan problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigemags05 View Post
I swapped a 92 4.0 into my cj. It throws both those codes at all times.

I don't have an AC and my fans are a separate electric set up, so I never paid it any mind.

Not sure how you would fool the computer to stop throwing those codes, but if you find out, I'd be interested in what you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I'm no expert on FI or AC systems, I do wonder if the pressure switch in the AC Refrigerant line has any thing to do with the code. IF I'm correct on this, the refrigerant is under constant pressure, even when the engine isn't running, so the computer see's a lack of pressure and throws the code if the switch/wires aren't hooked up to a source of pressure.

So either a source of pressure would be needed for a sensor reading, or figure out how the switch functions, and create the Scenario.

I don't think oil pressure at idle would be enough pressure, fuel pressure on a FI engine might be. Or, if you had OBA the sensor could be placed there.

These are just some random thoughts, I have no clue if this actually throws a code. Might be worth looking into at any rate.

Bill
Quote:
I wonder if you can't just twist the wires together??

The A/C has two failsafe switches built into the pressure system. One for high pressure (> 500psi) and one for low pressure (< 25psi). Both these switches need to be closed in order for the A/C clutch relay to be activated. This is easy to fake by simply twisting the wires together, effectively shorting your (non-existent) switch. However, having these wires not connected should not throw a code, since the circuit is designed to only be closed when the AC is on.

I suspect that the code is being activated by a diagnostic self-check on the AC clutch relay. The relay is basically an electromagnet that pulls a high amp contactor closed when a current is passed through it. As such, there should be a constant resistance across the coil that can be checked by the computer to ensure that the relay is intact and able to function. If that resistance is not there, the computer MAY set a code. I'm not sure about this, but it makes sense to me.

So, to fool the computer, you need to put a resistor from switched 12V to pin 34 on your ECM. First measure the resistance across terminals 85 and 86 of a relay, so you get the right size resistor.

Unread 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #5294
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

If there is an empty spot in the PDC for the A/C relay, just plug one in there. I would think that would trick it as it looks like that is all the ECM is looking for. If you ever need a spare relay, just grab that one to get you home for another relay.

Unread 11-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #5295
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
If there is an empty spot in the PDC for the A/C relay, just plug one in there. I would think that would trick it as it looks like that is all the ECM is looking for. If you ever need a spare relay, just grab that one to get you home for another relay.
Well, yeah, that's the easy way!

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.