Clay's Build Thread - Page 351 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #5251
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

great stuff

Unread 08-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #5252
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

love the commentary on the video!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #5253
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay's battery died. Not bad for a 2008 battery. He had to get jumped off at the Campus by Security. He got soaked. He stalled at a Stop sign, and he had to get jumped off by a motorist! He was moping pretty bad when he got home... still moping this morning, but then he got a butt-chewing from me for something else.

I haven't explained that he can push start his Jeep!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #5254
1983 CJ7 

I jumped in the Nissan last Saturday night and headed out to Gander > Walmart > HEB...it sounded like it turned over slow and figured I left the bed or interior lights on and planned to check the terminals when I got home. It started even slower at Gander but I was on the return trip to Walmart, went in, came out and it was stone dead. The cart guys offered to help but I said I got it and tried to push started it but I was headed up hill and petered out. I got to the shop at 8:59 and the guy brought the battery out and it barely started.

Went across the highway to Autozone and asked to have it checked, I said it was about two years old so I may have some warranty left.

He looked it up and said, yep, it's two years old times two

Signs of getting old

How is the 4.0 running?

Any other issues before you pick up on your Jeep and the XJ?
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #5255
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I jumped in the Nissan last Saturday night and headed out to Gander > Walmart > HEB...it sounded like it turned over slow and figured I left the bed or interior lights on and planned to check the terminals when I got home. It started even slower at Gander but I was on the return trip to Walmart, went in, came out and it was stone dead. The cart guys offered to help but I said I got it and tried to push started it but I was headed up hill and petered out. I got to the shop at 8:59 and the guy brought the battery out and it barely started.

Went across the highway to Autozone and asked to have it checked, I said it was about two years old so I may have some warranty left.

He looked it up and said, yep, it's two years old times two

Signs of getting old

How is the 4.0 running?

Any other issues before you pick up on your Jeep and the XJ?
Sounds like you had good service out of your battery. I was surprised to find out Clay's was an '08... a left over from something else I had in the past.

Clay has had a complete and total melt-down today. He is installing an electric temp gauge (factory gauge doesn't work) to match his mechanical ones. I don't have the right wire size. I have already been to town. I told him to cut up a trailer wiring harness I have had on the shelf for 10 years. So what's the problem? I asked him if he needs help. He won't answer. House is TENSE! Momma's tense. Everybody is walking around me like I have the plague. Doesn't make me feel good, either.

I have already started working on the XJ. I am building the bastard pack suspension lift now. Finished one so far... see the pics on Fallon's build thread in the XJ section. Finished pics not posted yet. Spent $35 on (3) Cobalt bits to drill the spring steel. Went through 2 already, and only on the first pack.

I may offer to buy Clay's Jeep from him. He told me he is sick of working on it. I don't blame him, but if he would just knuckle down and give it a good, solid day he will be done, done.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #5256
1983 CJ7 

I know how Clay feels....

I was gifted a 76 Wagoneer after my grandmother passed away, it was rusted beyond belief but it had a good 401/T400/QT. I made a 22 hour round trip to the Panhandle and picked up a 79. Spent two weeks swapping the motor and drove it around the neighborhood, it ran good, added about a can of freon and I had AC. I got it inspected and sold my 99 Dodge and started commuting 65 miles a day.

Within a week or two, the trans went out, so I pulled the T400 out of my grandmothers Waggie and I was back on the road.

A few weeks later the QT chain started jumping, so I replaced it with the QT out of my grandmothers car.

Back on the road again I drove it about 2 years with only minor problems, then, out of the blue, I started having to fix it weekly to have transportation.

I finally gave up and sold it, bought another Dodge and went into debt *again*. It is very frustrating but once he has some time behind the wheel and fixes most of the "bugs", it's no so bad.
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #5257
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

It's funny how that works. I was the same way when I bought mine in highschool. Was pissed every time I had to fix it when I'd rather be picking up cuties and going to the river.

But, after it was fixed, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days. These old rattle traps just have that effect.....Something tells me Clay will forget all about the trials and tribulations once he's behind the wheel again. Maybe a gentle reminder of how close he is to the end of the tunnel compared to say, the days of never ending fibreglass work on the tub?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #5258
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay is out of town with an SGA event (Student Government Association). He's in Orlando. He left his keys and a half-tank of gas. I'm driving his rig to work tomorrow. Hee Hee...

Unread 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #5259
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

He won't mind, he knows you're going to fill it up for him when you're done.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #5260
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
He won't mind, he knows you're going to fill it up for him when you're done.
TRUTH! I did do that. Great minds.

His Jeep accelerates more smoothly.
It handles more smoothly.
It RIDES more smoothly.
It's FAST!
It's quiet!
It's cooler in the cab.
I offered to trade him my 7 for it, but he said "NO"!
Can't wait to get mine there, but gotta work on Fal's for a bit.

Unread 09-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #5261
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Clay needs a Suburu.

CJ's are only fun when you have the time, money, and inclination to keep them running.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #5262
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Here is the video of me driving it down the road!!!

Made my day!

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #5263
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Here is the video of me driving it down the road!!!
Just catching up on the thread here. The best part of the video was the adjustment of the tilt steering. That's fancy technology right there!!
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #5264
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
It's funny how that works. I was the same way when I bought mine in highschool. Was pissed every time I had to fix it when I'd rather be picking up cuties and going to the river.

But, after it was fixed, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days. These old rattle traps just have that effect.....Something tells me Clay will forget all about the trials and tribulations once he's behind the wheel again. Maybe a gentle reminder of how close he is to the end of the tunnel compared to say, the days of never ending fibreglass work on the tub?
PROPHETIC! You are such a Wise Man! I think he got a little jealous when he saw I had the uppers removed and the back canvas rolled up. So sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Clay needs a Suburu.

CJ's are only fun when you have the time, money, and inclination to keep them running.

Matt
I chuckled when I read that, wifey sitting next to me, and she asked why I was laughing. So I told her you said Clay needs a Subaru. She wants to know why anyone would say that?? Don't make me laugh around her... I don't want to have to explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
Made my day!
Very glad to see you around, Dude. Go finish your Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Just catching up on the thread here. The best part of the video was the adjustment of the tilt steering. That's fancy technology right there!!
Thanks, Ken. Remember that column came from a late '70s Chevy 1 ton? I enjoyed rebuilding it so much that I have another column in the shop... waiting... to go in my 7. It will have bright/dim and wipers on the column. Glad you stopped by, Ken. Also should mention that the steering wheel was shipped all the way from Illinois!! Near Peoria.

Unread 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #5265
EgulAye
°||||°

1980 CJ5 

It's great to see you got the Jeep running well. Did you ever pull the pistons or crank out of Clay's old block? I'm kinda wondering what they look like. I've been reading the thread a few pages a day since April this year. I've finally read every post. It's quite the saga you've recorded here. Nice work!

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.