Clay's Build Thread - Page 349 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5221
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Matt- Our build has always been about doing the necessary work with the least possible expense. My labor is free, and I don't mind labor. It's also a concept that I want my children to learn. Anything worth having is worth working for. I know you already know that, so no criticism intended. That's just where I am and the lessons I am trying to teach. Through all of this there has been PLENTY of challenge and trial. It is my responsibility to keep a good frame of mind and attitude as an example to my boys. Sometimes that is very hard! The Hesco kit... here are my thoughts on Hesco. I have no idea about the company. I have no idea about the quality of their parts. Their CPS adapter is possibly worth every penny they ask. But it is over $300, and I can give a LOT of labor for $300. Since we had the bellhousing we elected to modify it. We COULD have sent it to Novak and had them modify it, and there wouldn't have been any guessing or stress. But overcoming adversity and obstacles is another important lesson for my kids. Clay modified the bellhousing on his own. And it worked! He had plenty of frustration, but he saw it through, and now he has a running engine. That is his reward. His first time, and with determination, he was successful. For thos Jeepers who simply buy what they need, well... kudos to them. Sometimes I wish I was in that position. But I also know that $300 will buy a truckload of mac-n-cheez! So the cost is too high for me, and I don't think the position of the CPS is a good one for wheeling. It is subject to debris and mud getting into that area. Hence, the REAL reason why we did our own work.
I fully understand, Scott. I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy, as well. And I also consider that a trait worth passing on to your offspring.

I'm relieved to hear your mechanic found an adjustable pivot ball. I truly hope that works.

Good luck, my friend. I can't wait to see Clay's big cheesy grin when he gets his CJ back on the road..

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #5222
1983 CJ7 

Scott, there is no justification needed for where you have been or where you are going, everyone knows how hard you and your team have worked to pull off a great build.

All this typing and posting photos and what'if'n is a direct result of not being on-site with hands-on help....we can make the best of it by throwing out ideas.
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #5223
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Scott, there is no justification needed for where you have been or where you are going, everyone knows how hard you and your team have worked to pull off a great build.

All this typing and posting photos and what'if'n is a direct result of not being on-site with hands-on help....we can make the best of it by throwing out ideas.
I would not, and I could not, be where I am today without it! Period.

All input is important to me. Either to see how you're going to help me, or to see how much of an idiot you are! I use myself as a gauge. Just foolin... I think ya'll know how much I value your opinions. That's why I'm sitting here right now reading JF and drinking coffee.

I went down to L&J's to check on the Jeep. Warren had it up on the rack. A young man was working on it, putting the tranny back in. I snapped some pics of the pivot ball stud welded in place. It looked VERY well done!! No kidding. Looked very stout, and all of the fork slop is gone. And contrary to popular belief, fork slop is not eating spaghetti in a white shirt! I had arranged with Bill to receive and post my pics, as I had only the cell with me. I took the pics. The young man held up the LED light so we could all see. Took them from two angles. Saved them to my phone. But there are NO PICS!?!? Truth... The pics aren't on my phone. This is waaaaay mysterious! So I can't show you. The whole thing is a moot point.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #5224
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
....... I had arranged with Bill to receive and post my pics, as I had only the cell with me. I took the pics. The young man held up the LED light so we could all see. Took them from two angles. Saved them to my phone. But there are NO PICS!?!? Truth... The pics aren't on my phone. This is waaaaay mysterious! So I can't show you. The whole thing is a moot point.
I don't believe you.....better go back there and ask them to yank the tranny out so you can re-take them and prove it!........

Glad to hear the light at the end of the tunnel is looking less like an oncoming locomotive. Hope you took good notes, I may be asking you questions this fall when my head swap and FI goes in.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #5225
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Operator error again.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #5226
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

Scott, I'm sorry to hear about AJ, he seemed like a good friend and neighbor, his knowledge and skill will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers will be with his family and friends, and with you and yours.
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #5227
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Straight on shot as asked for in the other thread...

best I could do with what I have right now...

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #5228
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I don't believe you.....better go back there and ask them to yank the tranny out so you can re-take them and prove it!........

Glad to hear the light at the end of the tunnel is looking less like an oncoming locomotive. Hope you took good notes, I may be asking you questions this fall when my head swap and FI goes in.
Taking Clay to get his Jeep now... YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Operator error again.
I hate it, but you're right for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
Scott, I'm sorry to hear about AJ, he seemed like a good friend and neighbor, his knowledge and skill will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers will be with his family and friends, and with you and yours.
Thank you, Dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
Straight on shot as asked for in the other thread...

best I could do with what I have right now...

cb
Thank you very much, CB. I really like that. I think the brackets are cool too! I wonder why it has brackets instead of welded? Like it is removable to change into a different tool!?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #5229
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Taking Clay to get his Jeep now... YAY!
Damn, that's good news, Scott.

I can't wait to hear his take on the 4.0. compared to the 258.

Matt
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #5230
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Damn, that's good news, Scott.

I can't wait to hear his take on the 4.0. compared to the 258.

Matt
What a morning! Clay's Jeep was in the shop, as you know, and my son Jake also had his truck in the shop at the same time. Jake's was A/C related. I paid the nearly $1000 for both vehicles. Clay was fairly beaming when he got in his Jeep and fired it up. BIG GRIN! He backed out of the parking slot, bumped around as he "learned" to drive it again, and then pulled out into traffic. The Jeep accelerated smoothly, and I watched him out of sight. So... shaking my head, I went into the office to pay. I whipped out my card. Linda totaled me up. My phone rang... it is Clay. He is broke down!! Says the tranny went out. But it's rebuilt by the very best there is, so I don't think it's tranny. The clutch assembly/parts are still in place, according to Clay. I get with Charlie, the owner. He hooks up his trailer, and we go get him. As Beth and I pull up, with Charlie right behind us in his service truck pulling the trailer, we can see Clay in the distance, his forehead leaning against the back of the Jeep, totally dejected. Beth starts the "poor baby" stuff before we even get to him. His smile is a frown. His outlook is bleak. He is late for SGA, among other things. Charlie walks up and has a quick look, and then he askes Clay if the Tcase got knocked into neutral. Clay looks at Charlie and says, "Tcase?" Then he pulls it into gear, cranks up, and he drives away. Beaming again! I owe Charlie and crew a lunch.

Clay called me later and said it is performing very well. It has lots of power and zing. He said it runs very smooth, and the water temp was very low after 30 miles. All good reports thus far...

Unread 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #5231
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

What a morning! Clay's Jeep was in the shop, as you know, and my son Jake also had his truck in the shop at the same time. Jake's was A/C related. I paid the nearly $1000 for both vehicles. Clay was fairly beaming when he got in his Jeep and fired it up. BIG GRIN! He backed out of the parking slot, bumped around as he "learned" to drive it again, and then pulled out into traffic. The Jeep accelerated smoothly, and I watched him out of sight. So... shaking my head, I went into the office to pay. I whipped out my card. Linda totaled me up. My phone rang... it is Clay. He is broke down!! Says the tranny went out. But it's rebuilt by the very best there is, so I don't think it's tranny. The clutch assembly/parts are still in place, according to Clay. I get with Charlie, the owner. He hooks up his trailer, and we go get him. As Beth and I pull up, with Charlie right behind us in his service truck pulling the trailer, we can see Clay in the distance, his forehead leaning against the back of the Jeep, totally dejected. Beth starts the "poor baby" stuff before we even get to him. His smile is a frown. His outlook is bleak. He is late for SGA, among other things. Charlie walks up and has a quick look, and then he askes Clay if the Tcase got knocked into neutral. Clay looks at Charlie and says, "Tcase?" Then he pulls it into gear, cranks up, and he drives away. Beaming again! I owe Charlie and crew a lunch.

Clay called me later and said it is performing very well. It has lots of power and zing. He said it runs very smooth, and the water temp was very low after 30 miles. All good reports thus far...
That's good stuff!!
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #5232
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I LOL'ed, good stuff!! Kudos for Charlie!

Did you take any pictures? If not, the Jeep is still in your shop, and still isn't running.

Glad for ya, Beth, Clay, and Scotty.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #5233
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I know intentions are pretty much worthless, but I INTENDED to get pics/video. I forgot the camera, but I thought I could take video with my Dumb Phone. But I can't! So no pics/video. I'll have to make it up to ya'll somehow??

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #5234
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hmm...I'm wondering what caused the t-case to jump out of gear?

Was Clay doing the happy dance while driving, and accidently knocked the t-case shifter?

I'd keep an eye on that issue.

Matt
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5235
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hmm...I'm wondering what caused the t-case to jump out of gear?

Was Clay doing the happy dance while driving, and accidently knocked the t-case shifter?

I'd keep an eye on that issue.

Matt
No idea how it moved, but it does move easily.

I drove it just a bit ago. Simply amazing! The 4.0 swap is everything everyone says it is. Just awesome! I cannot believe how smooth it is driving, how smooth the acceleration is, it has completely transformed the 5. I took video of me driving it down the road. It's 94 Mb! Ya'll want to see it??

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.