Clay's Build Thread - Page 344 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #5146
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Really something like that needs to be cut diagonally then grind the ends to a chamfer then weld. This would give almost twice as much length to the weld and be much stronger.

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #5147
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I can see how either method would be stronger, and the diagonal should have been something I thought of on my own. Pretty neat little trick. I will remember it. This is not a stand-alone weld, however. It slides up into the the upper steering shaft. I only welded the extension on to give it more length, so there was more of it inside the upper tube. Made me feel better! I think we are good.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #5148
1983 CJ7 

Six days since an update....eat'n alive buy SKEETER'S or drown'n in a RAIN PUDDLE is my guess
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #5149
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Six days since an update....eat'n alive buy SKEETER'S or drown'n in a RAIN PUDDLE is my guess
Some truth to that! We should have Clay's Jeep "done" today. He has to wire up and install his thermo-controlled fan, and I have to wire up the diagnostic connector. Then sheath wires, tie up looms, organize. It goes into the shop, hopefully under its own power, Monday for a checkout.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #5150
Scott3140

1998 TJ Wrangler 

We expect videos by end of weekend. Please!!!
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #5151
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
We expect videos by end of weekend. Please!!!
Videos are hard. I have Hughesnet, and it absolutely vents air in an inward fashion in great, great quantities, rapidly. But I'll try. I can load little vids from time to time.

And then it's hot. And the humidity is high. And I'm doing ribs today. So you better save some popcorn!

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #5152
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Good day/Bad day...

The ribs and pork chops, marinated in a special blend of household chemicals, and slow-cooked over a pecan fire, were positively the worst pieces of meat I have ever had the displeasure of not consuming. Wal-Mart meat. Not the usual stuff we buy from the itty-bitty grocery down the road, where they still carry chicken feets and pig knuckles! WM meat is bland, tastless, ultra fatty, has a bad texture, watered down... just garbage. That was a waste of money, and I was surprised my wife bought their meat.

So, while the earth spun, grasshoppers ate my okra, and cicadas sang from the Sycamores, Clay and I poured over the Jeep. It is all buttoned up and ready for the test drive. Clay has to replace a bolt that he was tightening up on the bell-crank to bell-housing mount. The clutch is hard. Don't know why. It's a Centerforce clutch, brand new. I will purchase a new bellcrank ***'y as it is somewhat needed anyway. The clutch pedal has no slack, and the Jeep begins to move immediately as you let off the pedal.

The exhaust has a leak, but that is to be expected. Although Clay tried to make it match up to the exhaust from the 258. I made a video last night for your viewing pleasure, but I think I will bypass that one. I'll video it coming out of the shop and heading out the driveway. Last night's video has the floor fan blowing and the stereo playing... pretty noisy.

Anyway, here are some pics. Clay's homemade, anti-collision electric fan mounting bracket and general work. The intake is Spectre, and not my first choice, but I ruined a perfectly good XJ airbox trying to adapt it to the fender.
cimg0573_1.jpg

cimg0575_1.jpg

cimg0576_1.jpg

cimg0577_1.jpg

cimg0580_1.jpg

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #5153
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Can't seem to clean up the wiring mess around the battery. Most of them are grounds. I remember Coiz, Matt, etc, and I can't emulate it! But I tried...

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #5154
1983 CJ7 

No words, just
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #5155
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
No words, just
X2. On the last bend of the home stretch now! Fire it up and drive it!!
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #5156
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No words, just
Ummm... That's 3 words...

Lookin good Scotty!!!!!! As for wires, zip ties and that plastic loom stuff are quick easy ways to make wires look like they were meant to be there.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #5157
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Just thinking back to an earlier conversation... :-)
image-795455632.jpg

Unread 07-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #5158
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

On the clutch issue, is the pivot ball between the fork and bell housing?

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #5159
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
No words, just
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
X2. On the last bend of the home stretch now! Fire it up and drive it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Ummm... That's 3 words...

Lookin good Scotty!!!!!! As for wires, zip ties and that plastic loom stuff are quick easy ways to make wires look like they were meant to be there.
Thanks a lot Fellas. It means a lot coming from your kind of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
Just thinking back to an earlier conversation... :-)
LOL! I need a sling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
On the clutch issue, is the pivot ball between the fork and bell housing?

Bill
Feels like it Bill, reaching up with my finger tips, but there is a lot of play in the clutch fork, moving back and forth. Clay made another clutch rod, which is half again as long as factory, and you know they aren't very long. The pedal was very hard to push down, and I told him so. He drove it out of the shop and swung around the yard, preparing to pull in straight so he could change the oil. There was a POP, and the Jeep kept going backward, him trying to make it stop with the brakes, but it wasn't having any! It kept going, and just before he plowed the garden, he reached up and killed the ignition. We pushed it back into the shop. The bellcrank had popped off one of the pivots balls. When I got under the Jeep I found that the bellhousing had cracked through where the pivot ball mounts. Can't begin to describe the dismay. Going to the shop tomorrow.

Here ya go, Luke!
cimg0570_2.jpg

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #5160
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I wonder if Clay forgot the spring between the arm and pivot, the one that keeps the rod in place.

Bill
Check your phone for a text.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.