Clay's Build Thread - Page 340 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #5086
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I just looked at a wiring diagram for a 92 Cherokee and now my head hurts. I see 4 wires out of the fuel pump relay: red, dark blue, dark blue w/yellow, dark green w/black. The green w/black goes to the ballast resistor bypass relay and the ballast resistor. You can see the dark blue is supplyinng trigger power from the ignition switch, closing the fuel pump relay and then supplyinng power to the green/black, so it is hot in start/run.

0900c152800a9e08.gif  
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #5087
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

It looks like 13B is labeled Ignition on the CJ bulkhead. To me that means it is hot in start/run or the ignition system would not work. Given that, the two wires labeled hot in start or run at the top of the diagram would be an acceptable place to splice into 13B. But this is just conjecture. Don't burn down Clays 5!!!

What does the starter solenoid look like? Like a CJ? It is basically just a relay during crank and a source for other 12v power durinng run. Interesting on the wiring diagram, if it is the correct one, the dark green/tan wire that supplies power to the fuel pump changes color TWICE before it connects to the pump - dark green/red and then to orange.
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #5088
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Given the problems your having with the fuel pump relay I wonder if you should forgo the one in the PDC for now and just wire up a basic relay for it using ground, 12V supply, the other hot in crank/run wire and a feed to the pump. It might get you up and running quicker or at least allow you to move on to the spark issue.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #5089
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
It looks like 13B is labeled Ignition on the CJ bulkhead. To me that means it is hot in start/run or the ignition system would not work. Given that, the two wires labeled hot in start or run at the top of the diagram would be an acceptable place to splice into 13B. But this is just conjecture. Don't burn down Clays 5!!!

What does the starter solenoid look like? Like a CJ? It is basically just a relay during crank and a source for other 12v power durinng run. Interesting on the wiring diagram, if it is the correct one, the dark green/tan wire that supplies power to the fuel pump changes color TWICE before it connects to the pump - dark green/red and then to orange.
Amen, Paul! That's been on my mind! Thanks for your effort, Paul. You have given me another idea to chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Given the problems your having with the fuel pump relay I wonder if you should forgo the one in the PDC for now and just wire up a basic relay for it using ground, 12V supply, the other hot in crank/run wire and a feed to the pump. It might get you up and running quicker or at least allow you to move on to the spark issue.
Ida know, JW... I really need to understand WHY I can't figure this out. I don't want to create a bandaid.

Here are some more pics...

This is the Power Distribution Center (PDC). It is part of a complete engine harness donated from a '92 XJ Cherokee 4.0. Everything that is supposed to get power has power. All the fuses are good. All the relays APPEAR to be good. The blanks in the box are not used.

This is the soft, vulnerable underbelly of the indomitable PDC. This is where I may take my knife and gut it widely, spilling its entrails all over the fender!!

This is a description of the fuel pump relay circuit. I have traced all of the wires to their sources. The labels are correct.
Fused B(+) is a hot wire fed through a fuse in the PDC.
ASD relay connects other relays in the auto shutdown circuit.
Fuel Pump Relay Output... one goes to the O2 sensor plug, the other goes to the Ballast Resistor Relay. These do not appear to feed the fuel pump.
Ignition Switch output is fed from the BH connector, hot in start/run.

Here is a diagram of the PDC from a '95 XJ FSM from Aussieoffroad. It is labeled RHD (right-hand drive?). I don't think that would have any bearing on the color or purpose of the wires.

Description of the circuits in the box.

This a brand-new coil picked up today. It is acting like the other coil... no sprak getting out. With the key "ON", I measure 12.5V in one side of the plug, and 8.4V in the other side of the plug. Should the voltage be the same, or should there be voltage to only one side?

Don't know if this will help you help me, but I surely hope so. Thanks for following along and thanks for your input.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #5090
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Scott, have you tried tracing this wire from the fuel pump relay?
0900c152800a9e08.gif

Unread 07-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5091
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Let. Me. Tell. You. Bout. My. Day!

Wifey has been sick all weekend. She just got back from being gone for 5 days.
Clayton took off for a school function for the weekend. No help from him.
It rained all weekend.
Bought a new coil... ~$35... for nothing. Hey! But it DOES have a lifetime warranty.
Sweated in my sweat-shop shop.
Went to work this morning.
Volunteers didn't show up. No phone call. So I gave a short service myself.
Searched the Net for answers to my no-spark condition, took two memo pages of notes. Couldn't wait to get home!
I told a guy I work with that I hoped God helped me fix the no-spark issue on Clay's Jeep. He said God doesn't work that way! Maybe He does... maybe He doesn't, but I'll give Him the credit if I get it figured out.
I get home and Clay is home. YAY! I have help.
Number one problem with no-spark is bad/disconnected CPS... I'm thinking I never plugged it up. But I did.
Checked my notes. I see ground. Ground!? What's a ground? I don't need no stinkin' ground... it's SITTING on the ground. It says "Check PCM ground". So I did. There are three of them. NONE of them was connected. So I connected them. Guess what? I HAVE A SPARK AT THE PLUGS!!!!! THANK YOU, JESUS! You get the Glory.

I. AM. SO. HAPPY!!!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #5092
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Super super super happy for you sir!
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #5093
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I took this moment to update ya'll as Clay connects the fuel return line. I figure I had only a couple minutes for him to run the rubber line to the existing hard line. He just came in the door, asking me if I have new tubing bender. He broke the last one. I ask, "Why do you need a tubing bender?" He says, "To bend the return line." All you need to do is connect the rubber tubing!! He completely removed the hard line! (black cloud) He's my son. I love him. He's 19. I love him. I love him. I love him. I love him............

Unread 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #5094
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Let. Me. Tell. You. Bout. My. Day!

Wifey has been sick all weekend. She just got back from being gone for 5 days.
Clayton took off for a school function for the weekend. No help from him.
It rained all weekend.
Bought a new coil... ~$35... for nothing. Hey! But it DOES have a lifetime warranty.
Sweated in my sweat-shop shop.
Went to work this morning.
Volunteers didn't show up. No phone call. So I gave a short service myself.
Searched the Net for answers to my no-spark condition, took two memo pages of notes. Couldn't wait to get home!
I told a guy I work with that I hoped God helped me fix the no-spark issue on Clay's Jeep. He said God doesn't work that way! Maybe He does... maybe He doesn't, but I'll give Him the credit if I get it figured out.
I get home and Clay is home. YAY! I have help.
Number one problem with no-spark is bad/disconnected CPS... I'm thinking I never plugged it up. But I did.
Checked my notes. I see ground. Ground!? What's a ground? I don't need no stinkin' ground... it's SITTING on the ground. It says "Check PCM ground". So I did. There are three of them. NONE of them was connected. So I connected them. Guess what? I HAVE A SPARK AT THE PLUGS!!!!! THANK YOU, JESUS! You get the Glory.

I. AM. SO. HAPPY!!!!

Yay, Scott!!!!
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #5095
Scott3140

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is it running yet? Is it running yet?
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #5096
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hope beth feels better soon. Yep Clay is 19....remember when we were? I got a story to tell you about back then for me but it'd better never make it on here You'll like it, the guy I worked for didn't though.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #5097
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hope beth feels better soon. Yep Clay is 19....remember when we were? I got a story to tell you about back then for me but it'd better never make it on here You'll like it, the guy I worked for didn't though.
Hee hee... call me!

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #5098
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well, Guys...

Nuff said...

Now, in our joy, we tried to fire it a second time, and this is what we got. The battery could be down some, but it sounds like it has a timing issue. the hesitation sound that it makes is not Clay letting off the key. It's almost like it is locking up for a second. Low battery you think?? Or CPS position?

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #5099
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
Is it running yet? Is it running yet?
Yep. Uh-Huh. Mm-Hmm. Talk to me, Baby. That's right. Oh yeah...

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #5100
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
Yay, Scott!!!!
Thanks, Luke. My multi-quote didn't work!

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.