Clay's Build Thread - Page 336 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #5026
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper yes you have the TPS and Idle Air controller hooked up and everything on the engine looks like its hooked up.
Skipper I'm assuming that you have heard of the kiss theory. (Keep it simple stupid)
For you I've come up with the kisses theory. Keep it super simple especially for Southerners,

Now you know bill has kissed you a lot I on the other hand am going to make this very easy for you to do.

First mount your ECM.
Two plug in your loom into your ECM.
Three reconnect your diagnostic connector and mounted in the cab some place You will need this later.
Four tape or wire tie the ECM loom wires every six or so inches from the ECM to the first point where the wires start to branch out.

This will get rid of a lot of wires that are in the way currently and you will find that you have a few connections left over. We will address these after everything else is been done.

In the meantime don't worry about all the technical aspects we are just trying to get the bulk of the wiring out of the way.

gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #5027
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I had a fabulously enlightening conversation with George, aka The Professor, aka Holy Makra, early this morning. Which in itself is surprising, cause you know this ol farmboy gets up early, and The Professor needs his beauty sleep. I mean... he really needs it! But, he did call me, and some of my amassing density diffused with the radiance of our soggily rising sun.

So I ran out to a couple places and bought some Jeep ammo to combat the problems I have been dealing with. Namely, those unseen things that make a Jeep change during the night! I bought a hand tubing bender to bend the SS XJ fuel line. I bought a different fuel filter to install after the fuel pump. I bought a new pressure regulator ($60 freakin dollars... holy makra!) Some zipties, some sheet metal screws (cause I realy like em), a new soldering gun (because my old Craftsman makes me tired when I hold it up for a long period of time), some 3/16X3" bolts (to mount the ECM on the cool, custom bracket made by Clay), 10' of 5/16 injector line and... and... dad-gum... it's raining again!

Wifey and kids gone. Guess I'll watch Conan. Wow! Did my priorities just change, or what!?

Thank you, George.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #5028
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

So no pictures of this stuff you bought? No big breakfast today either? Man you'd think there's something screwed up with the forum with this lack of pictures.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #5029
1983 CJ7 

Easy with the stick Big Jim, ole' Scott do sound motivated and might take it away and whip ya
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #5030
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Easy with the stick Big Jim, ole' Scott do sound motivated and might take it away and whip ya
Yep he might and he might be gettin cranky with the wife and kids gone.
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #5031
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
So no pictures of this stuff you bought? No big breakfast today either? Man you'd think there's something screwed up with the forum with this lack of pictures.
Quote:
Yep he might and he might be gettin cranky with the wife and kids gone.
Quote:
ONE THING I want to say, and you'd BETTER PAY ATTENTION cause I'm only going to say this once...

...ice-cold watermelon is hard to beat!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #5032
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Guess I need a solder lesson... the solder is not melting into the wire. I have a hefty Craftsman that will melt the wire casing, and I just bought this smaller Weller (130A). Using the 1/4" spade tip, I can heat the wire until the solder melts, but it is not going into the wire mass. I stripped the wire... it's new and shiny. I moderately twisted the ends together - inline- and I placed the gun tip in the middle of the splice. I hold the solder at one end away from the tip. I wriggle it around and it finally melts. But it doesn't flow into the wires. It just blobs up and ends up on my work surface. I have tried wood and metal work surfaces. What am I doing wrong?

Unread 06-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #5033
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Okay... got another fabulous call from The Professor. I am now solder-capable! Thanks, Prof.

Unread 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #5034
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Well what were you doing wrong?
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #5035
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm afraid to hear that answer!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #5036
1983 CJ7 

I want to know because I suck at soldering, even with the expert Andy coaching me along!
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #5037
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

ONE THING I want to say, and you'd BETTER PAY ATTENTION cause I'm only going to say this once...

...ice-cold watermelon is hard to beat!
So Beth didnt leave you anything else to eat for a week, I hope she didn't take the coffee pot!
Do I need to call you in the am to make sure your not late for work.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #5038
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I'm afraid to hear that answer!
Quote:
I want to know because I suck at soldering, even with the expert Andy coaching me along!
I wasn't holding my mouth right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
So Beth didnt leave you anything else to eat for a week, I hope she didn't take the coffee pot!
Do I need to call you in the am to make sure your not late for work.
I do NOT want to wake up to your voice first thing in the morning!

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #5039
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Did the prof say to use flux?? That usually does the trick for me.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #5040
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Remember skippers old signature if you can't fix it with a hammer you got anelectrical problem! While he was trying to fuse two pieces of copper wire with a hammer.

Soldering is very simple 243 all you need is a soldering iron some rosin core solder. If you are using a new soldering iron or tip you will need to sand the tip till its shiny. Heat up the soldering iron and touch the solder to the tip. It should flow around the tip and up the tip a bit. This is called tinning the tip.

Now all you need to do this strip both ends of the wire about half an inch. Twist the wires together now lightly touch the joint with the tip of the soldering iron that has been tinned.The tip of the soldering iron will have a coating of molten solder on it as the wire heats up in this will only take a few seconds you will see the solder starting to wick up into the wires. You may elect to add a little more solder to the joint you can do this by either touching the solder to the tip or to the wires itself.

When the soldering is done that joint itself should be shiny without any access solder on it. I tried to upload a picture of different solder joints but the forum wont let me do it.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.