Clay's Build Thread - Page 335 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #5011
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

All right skipper here's what were going to do. I want you to lay the harness on the engine and I want pictures. The picture should be close ups of the harness by the injectors, the TPS, the idle air controller, intake air sensor.

We will get these plugged in and start a process of elimination to get everything tied up.

gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #5012
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
All right skipper here's what were going to do. I want you to lay the harness on the engine and I want pictures. The picture should be close ups of the harness by the injectors, the TPS, the idle air controller, intake air sensor.

We will get these plugged in and start a process of elimination to get everything tied up.
The harness is on the engine. Everything is plugged in with the exception of a couple things. Still trying to trackdown the correct oil sending unit sensor. We made a custom bracket for the PDC, and it is mounted. We still have to mount the computer.

All the wires have been traced at the PCM plug. I have one wire I need to splice back in per Ken's description.

Ken, your description varied slightly from the FSM diagram I had. It was actually more helpful. Our plug has two additional wires that are shown as blank, however.

Professor, I have to get on the A/C as soon as I am home, then the hot water heater. I don't know if I will have time to mess with the Jeep this weekend. I will do my best to get the pics posted up. I need and appreciate your help!

Thanks, All.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #5013
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like we need to amass a bunch of JP Forum guys and have a "crimpathon" at Skippers Plantation!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #5014
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Too bad you are way down yonder... I'd stop over and help ya out. I'm one of those ones that "can just get it" with electrical stuff.

Except for those Stealth HEI things... still trying to get it to work right. Just too lazy to actually dig into it - it's not high on my list...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #5015
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I wish I lived anywhere there was another Jeeper with ambition, knowledge, and experience! Everybody around here just slaps big tires and 4-barrels on their CJs and struts!!

I will start off saying that the A/C is fixed. Thank you, Jesus! A $30 capacitor and we are cool again. Yes, Sir! Wifey is extraordinarily happy!

Here are the pics that George requested. Let me know if you need something more specific.

Injectors...

Cam/Sync sensor.

Coolant sensor.

TPS and, and, steppor motor?

CPS (CPK) Crank Position sensor.

Overall shot of engine bay.

PCM plug and bulkhead connector.

PDC (Power Distribution Center) mounted on pass fender.

What is this plug? Looks like a headlight plug that didn't get cut out. I want to be sure.

This harness is chopped up by PO. Goes to Alt, coil, etc. Can I save it or do I need another one?

Coil.

Oil pressure sending unit. Gotta change the sensor.

Oil sending unit plug. Looks to me like one tab???

Calling this a ballast resistor. Correct? Just screw it to some surface somewhere?

Still have pulleys to change.

A couple of oldie-but-goodie vices Clay's boss gave him!

How is it looking? Thanks, Everybody.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #5016
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I will also add that it doesn't look like the V-belt pulleys will line up. Water pump is at an angle. So is the power steering pump. If we go back to serp belt, what will it entail? I don't want to mess with electric fans and relays.

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #5017
1983 CJ7 

The photos should help the guys a lot!

The Wilton bullet's are creme of the crop, hard to get them for less than 150.00 and normally they are a lot more. It's hard to determine what size those are from the photos, the big boys fetch outrageous prices.
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #5018
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
The photos should help the guys a lot!

The Wilton bullet's are creme of the crop, hard to get them for less than 150.00 and normally they are a lot more. It's hard to determine what size those are from the photos, the big boys fetch outrageous prices.
Well I guess I am getting old, cause they are definitely heavy! Clay's boss likes him. He has asked Clay if he can continue working for him through the fall. It was supposed to be a summer only job. He has offered to Clay an old hydraulic metal brake and a wire-feed welder. Some of his old, commercial stuff that has been updated. When Clay told me about it my jaw 'bout hit the ground, and I started trying to figure out where to put them! Too bad they are both 3-phase!

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #5019
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I also need to identify the Vehicle Speed sensor plug.

I cut out the data-link connector. If my research is correct, since the donor harness is out of a '92 XJ, the connector should have been on the left-hand fender (under the hood), near the PCM. That is a black, odd-shaped, plastic plug? I guess I should splice it back in??

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #5020
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Your "Ballast Resistor" is a relay. Mopars used an ASD relay (Auto Shut Down), that powered the coil and injectors. They also used a Fuel Pump Relay. Maybe check the wiring into it and see if you can determine what relay it is...

The other round w/ 3 blade terminals looked almost like a A/C switch, but don't quote me on that.

and I would reconnect the Data Link Connector - that way you can pull codes easier if needed.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #5021
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

You mentioned speed sensor plug... that could also be that 3-terminal round plug. They looked similar to those, only with just 2 wires IIRC.

Unread 06-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #5022
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

TPS and, and, steppor motor?
TPS and IAC (Idle air control). IAC should have 4 wires going into it.

Quote:
CPS (CPK) Crank Position sensor.
Man, you really went at that bellhousing!! Your sensor position looks a little off. Maybe that's just 'cause the hole is so big!
Here's a photo I used for reference...

Quote:
This harness is chopped up by PO. Goes to Alt, coil, etc. Can I save it or do I need another one?
That alternator connector is tough to find! (The molded one with a bunch of ring terminals coming out of it.) I'd try to save it if possible.

Quote:
Calling this a ballast resistor. Correct? Just screw it to some surface somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Your "Ballast Resistor" is a relay. Mopars used an ASD relay (Auto Shut Down), that powered the coil and injectors. They also used a Fuel Pump Relay. Maybe check the wiring into it and see if you can determine what relay it is...
It would make sense that the fuel pump relay is triggered by the CJ ballast resistor wire. This wire should be hot on Start/Run, which is when you want the fuel pump running
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #5023
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
You mentioned speed sensor plug... that could also be that 3-terminal round plug. They looked similar to those, only with just 2 wires IIRC.
I'll investigate that. Thanks, Rick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
TPS and IAC (Idle air control). IAC should have 4 wires going into it.
I believe it does have 4 wires. So this one should be good.

Quote:
Man, you really went at that bellhousing!! Your sensor position looks a little off. Maybe that's just 'cause the hole is so big!
Here's a photo I used for reference...
I let my son (Clay) do all this on his own. It was very hard to sit back and keep quiet! But he built the bracket, mounted it up, everything by himself. He measured carefully to get the sensor in the right place. I hounded him about it! I'm hoping it would prove to be an issue. I did not go behind him and check it.

Quote:
That alternator connector is tough to find! (The molded one with a bunch of ring terminals coming out of it.) I'd try to save it if possible.
Will do...

Quote:
It would make sense that the fuel pump relay is triggered by the CJ ballast resistor wire. This wire should be hot on Start/Run, which is when you want the fuel pump running
So is this correct? Ballast resistor? It does look like a relay, but I thought the fuel pump relay was inside the PDC?

Unread 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #5024
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

So is this correct? Ballast resistor? It does look like a relay, but I thought the fuel pump relay was inside the PDC?
You are correct, that there is a fuel pump relay in the PDC. Your photo looks just like the fuel pump relay from my Howell TBI setup. It's definitely NOT a ballast resistor. All the ballast resistors I've ever seen either look like this...

or a long section of resistor wire integrated in the harness. It exists to reduce the voltage to the coil from 12V to around 9 or so (to keep the coil from overheating).

What I meant is that it would make sense to have your fuel pump relay switched by a lead from the ballast resistor. As in, when there is power to the ballast resistor (and therefore to the coil), the fuel pump relay (and therefore the fuel pump) should be energized.

So there should be four wires going to the fuel pump relay (regardless of if it's in the PDC or elsewhere). Fused Batt(+) [30], switched power (from ballast resistor, or other start/run source)[86], ground[85], and fuel pump(+)[87].
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #5025
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
You are correct, that there is a fuel pump relay in the PDC. Your photo looks just like the fuel pump relay from my Howell TBI setup. It's definitely NOT a ballast resistor. All the ballast resistors I've ever seen either look like this...

or a long section of resistor wire integrated in the harness. It exists to reduce the voltage to the coil from 12V to around 9 or so (to keep the coil from overheating).

What I meant is that it would make sense to have your fuel pump relay switched by a lead from the ballast resistor. As in, when there is power to the ballast resistor (and therefore to the coil), the fuel pump relay (and therefore the fuel pump) should be energized.
I'll retrace it. Wonder what it is for? Your technical knowledge is leapyears ahead of mine! I do have a ballast resistor as shown in your pic.

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.