Clay's Build Thread - Page 334 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #4996
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Looking Good Brother!

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #4997
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a high quality warden you've got there; pitching in driving the tractor.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #4998
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen. I will explore the pulleys more closely.

Billybooster2, way out in California, gave me a bargain on a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for Clay's D20. Not only did he send me a nice looking piece, but he also did a heck of a job wrapping it. Thanks to Billybooster2 for his support and his character.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #4999
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Thanks for the comments Gentlemen. I will explore the pulleys more closely.

Billybooster2, way out in California, gave me a bargain on a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for Clay's D20. Not only did he send me a nice looking piece, but he also did a heck of a job wrapping it. Thanks to Billybooster2 for his support and his character.
Nice Scott, so you've opted to swap in the whole 4.0L? Did you end up taking the head off or changing any gaskets?

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #5000
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye View Post
Nice Scott, so you've opted to swap in the whole 4.0L? Did you end up taking the head off or changing any gaskets?
Egul... I missed you, Dude. Sorry about that! I did not remove any engine parts. I SHOULD have, I know. The guy I bought it from is a friend, and he said he heard it running... has between 80 and 90,000 miles. We are swapping the whole engine. Messing around with wiring now.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #5001
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I posted up some questions/pics in the "Official 4.0 Swap Thread". I would appreciate anyone taking a look and giving me your comments. I am so close, but I can't get this pinout problem resolved.

Thanks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/of...l#post15594040

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #5002
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the ECM has one plug on it only?
If thats the case then the pin out I posted should be the ticket.
If this is not the case take pictures of the ECM and harness where is goes to the bulkhead connector.
Professor... here is your pic back with little green marks next to the items I think I need to keep. Please confirm. Everything else will be removed, leaving little stubs for later splicing if needed. This is the same plug I have.
2009-11-16_105351_93_jeep_ecm.jpg  

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #5003
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper the original idea was to trim the bulk head connector from the 4.0 and hock that up to your current bulkhead connector, all the other wiring that goes to the engine remains.
pin #21 which is the intake air sensor is vital since it measures the air temp and adjusts the fuel.
Take pin#5 16 ga pink black and run it to the battery positive.
Pins 5 should go to the negative side of the battery. Pins 11,12 should ground on the block someplace. Make sure you have a good solid ground from your frame to your engine block and then daisy chain it up to you negative on your battery.
Pin 18 goes to the negative side of the coil.
Pin #8 should go to your start solenoid.

The rest of the wiring should be plugged in were its supposed to go.

Try starting it and lets see what happens, we may need to do a bit more diagnostics if it dosent start.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #5004
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the original idea was to trim the bulk head connector from the 4.0 and hock that up to your current bulkhead connector, all the other wiring that goes to the engine remains.
pin #21 which is the intake air sensor is vital since it measures the air temp and adjusts the fuel.
Take pin#5 16 ga pink black and run it to the battery positive.
Pins 5 should go to the negative side of the battery. Pins 11,12 should ground on the block someplace. Make sure you have a good solid ground from your frame to your engine block and then daisy chain it up to you negative on your battery.
Pin 18 goes to the negative side of the coil.
Pin #8 should go to your start solenoid.

The rest of the wiring should be plugged in were its supposed to go.

Try starting it and lets see what happens, we may need to do a bit more diagnostics if it dosent start.
Well, this is my problem. When you say "trim the bulkhead connector from the 4.0", I'm thinking cut it off. And when you say "The rest of the wiring should be plugged in where it's supposed to go", I am at a loss, because I don't KNOW where it's supposed to go! There's a ton of wires in the 4.0 BH connector. How do I put them into a CJ BH connector??

I need directions like, "Take this black wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and to position _ on the BH connector"... "Take this wire and connect it to...". This is over my head, and I am not understanding. The Haynes manual shows a wiring diagram for the engine control components. I kept all of those wires and cut out a bunch of others! Can you show me on the PCM plug what I need to keep, and where it gets connected? Grade 1 for me! REMEDIAL!!!!!!

Unread 06-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #5005
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, this is my problem. When you say "trim the bulkhead connector from the 4.0", I'm thinking cut it off. And when you say "The rest of the wiring should be plugged in where it's supposed to go", I am at a loss, because I don't KNOW where it's supposed to go! There's a ton of wires in the 4.0 BH connector. How do I put them into a CJ BH connector??

I need directions like, "Take this black wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and to position _ on the BH connector"... "Take this wire and connect it to...". This is over my head, and I am not understanding. The Haynes manual shows a wiring diagram for the engine control components. I kept all of those wires and cut out a bunch of others! Can you show me on the PCM plug what I need to keep, and where it gets connected? Grade 1 for me! REMEDIAL!!!!!!

Skipper- you have the patience of Job! I'm probably going to be as excited as you when you get spark to that puppy!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #5006
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I can share Scott's frustration with wiring. It's seems like an elusive thing to me. Some folks nail it and some don't. The ones that do say it's simple after you catch on. So Scott, my friend you'll catch on.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #5007
1983 CJ7 

Scott, you may have done this but I will mention it anyway.

When I modified the TBI harness, I used the pinout diagram and traced and labeled every wire at both ends of the harness. Once that was complete, I had no problem cutting out the un-needed wires.

I did the same with the engine/under dash 1983 Jeep harness (GM 151) and the 1986 Jeep harness (AMC 258) because I did not know what circuits were different between the year models or between the GM and AMC ignition systems.

Have you traced all the wires?
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #5008
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Can you show me on the PCM plug what I need to keep, and where it gets connected? Grade 1 for me! REMEDIAL!!!!!!
Found this on NAXJA... It was easier to label the wires to remove with a lighter color. My comments in bold.

Ok, here we go. You're looking at the connector on the harness, not the PCM itself. There are three rows of pins, or actually cavities, and they are numbered starting at the top left. Top row goes 1 to 20. Middle row goes 21 to 40, and bottom row 41 to 60. All three rows are interrupted in the middle by the hold-down bolt.

The list is as follows:
1-MAP sensor signal
2-engine coolant temp signal
3-fused B+
4-sensor ground
5-ground
6- 5-volt supply
7-8-volt supply
8- blank
9-ign. switch output (run/start)
10-power steering switch sense
11ground
12-ground
13,14,15,16 - injectors 4,3,2,1
17 and 18 blank
19 ignl coil #1 driver
20-generator field driver
21 intake air temp sensor signal
22-Throttle pos. sensor signal
23- blank
24 -crankshaft pos. sensor signal
25-SCI transmit [Used for OBD diagnostic plug]
26-CCD Bus + (4.0 auto only)
27-a/c cycling switch sense
28-a/c pressure switch output
29-stop lamp switch sense

30-park/netural pos. switch sense [attach to ground for manual transmission]
31-radiator fan relay control (4.0 only)[can be used to trigger electric fan relay (instead of stand-alone temp switch)]
32-malfunction indicator lamp driver
33-veh., speed control vacuum solenoid control
34-a/c compressor clutch relay control

35-blank
36-generator lamp driver
37-blank
38-injector #5 driver (4.0 only)
39-Idle air control motor #1 driver
40- Idle air control motor #3 driver
41- heated oxygen sensor signal
42-blank
43-tachometer signal [can be used with aftermarket tach, will not work with stock CJ tach]
44-camshaft position sensor signal
45-SCI receive [used for OBD diagnostic plug]
46-CCD bus (-) 4.0 auto only
47 - veh speed sensor signal
48-veh speed control coast/set switch sense
49-veh speed control on/off switch sense
50-""" resume switch sense

51-automatic shut down relay control
52-blank
53-veh speed control vent solenoid control
54-up-shift lamp driver (manual trans) [some CJ's came with this instead of a tach]
55-blank
56-blank
57-Automatic shutdown relay output
58-injector #6 driver (4.0 only)
59-Idle air control #4 driver
60-Idle air control #2 driver
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #5009
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Skipper- you have the patience of Job! I'm probably going to be as excited as you when you get spark to that puppy!
No! I don't!! I've got to get this done. Feeling the pressure. But I appreciate you saying so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I can share Scott's frustration with wiring. It's seems like an elusive thing to me. Some folks nail it and some don't. The ones that do say it's simple after you catch on. So Scott, my friend you'll catch on.
Thanks, Jim. I know I will, eventually. The CJ wiring came to me pretty quickly. I don't know why the XJ wiring isn't. Total Greek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Scott, you may have done this but I will mention it anyway.

When I modified the TBI harness, I used the pinout diagram and traced and labeled every wire at both ends of the harness. Once that was complete, I had no problem cutting out the un-needed wires.

I did the same with the engine/under dash 1983 Jeep harness (GM 151) and the 1986 Jeep harness (AMC 258) because I did not know what circuits were different between the year models or between the GM and AMC ignition systems.

Have you traced all the wires?
Yes... traced all the wires that I could figure out using the Haynes. I will go back with Ken's labeling and double-check what I have done. Pretty sure I have more than one wire to splice back. When that is completed, I think all I have to do is connect the "5 wires to fire". I just need to confirm those 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Found this on NAXJA... It was easier to label the wires to remove with a lighter color. My comments in bold.

Ok, here we go. You're looking at the connector on the harness, not the PCM itself. There are three rows of pins, or actually cavities, and they are numbered starting at the top left. Top row goes 1 to 20. Middle row goes 21 to 40, and bottom row 41 to 60. All three rows are interrupted in the middle by the hold-down bolt.

The list is as follows:
1-MAP sensor signal
2-engine coolant temp signal
3-fused B+
4-sensor ground
5-ground
6- 5-volt supply
7-8-volt supply
8- blank
9-ign. switch output (run/start)
10-power steering switch sense
11ground
12-ground
13,14,15,16 - injectors 4,3,2,1
17 and 18 blank
19 ignl coil #1 driver
20-generator field driver
21 intake air temp sensor signal
22-Throttle pos. sensor signal
23- blank
24 -crankshaft pos. sensor signal
25-SCI transmit [Used for OBD diagnostic plug]
26-CCD Bus + (4.0 auto only)
27-a/c cycling switch sense
28-a/c pressure switch output
29-stop lamp switch sense
30-park/netural pos. switch sense [attach to ground for manual transmission]
31-radiator fan relay control (4.0 only)[can be used to trigger electric fan relay (instead of stand-alone temp switch)]
32-malfunction indicator lamp driver
33-veh., speed control vacuum solenoid control
34-a/c compressor clutch relay control
35-blank
36-generator lamp driver
37-blank
38-injector #5 driver (4.0 only)
39-Idle air control motor #1 driver
40- Idle air control motor #3 driver
41- heated oxygen sensor signal
42-blank
43-tachometer signal [can be used with aftermarket tach, will not work with stock CJ tach]
44-camshaft position sensor signal
45-SCI receive [used for OBD diagnostic plug]
46-CCD bus (-) 4.0 auto only
47 - veh speed sensor signal
48-veh speed control coast/set switch sense
49-veh speed control on/off switch sense
50-""" resume switch sense
51-automatic shut down relay control
52-blank
53-veh speed control vent solenoid control
54-up-shift lamp driver (manual trans) [some CJ's came with this instead of a tach]
55-blank
56-blank
57-Automatic shutdown relay output
58-injector #6 driver (4.0 only)
59-Idle air control #4 driver
60-Idle air control #2 driver
I can see I'm going to have to put you on my Christmas card list! Thank you, Ken... again! This is actually not far off of what I have already done. I so much appreciate the confirmation.

Working AZ next two nights. I will get to the Jeep this weekend. Wifey and kids heading out of town saturday...AGAIN, this time for four days. Clay won't be here to help. This seems to happen a lot. The A/C unit serving the Mstr BR, Kit, and Fam. Rm, AND the hot water heater in the kitchen croaked yesterday. So now I have another project! I think I'm just going to go somewhere...

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #5010
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Come on up Scott. I just picked up a 12 pack of Shiner Bock today.

Billy
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.