Clay's Build Thread - Page 329 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #4921
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The boss (owner) is personal friends with Clay's welding teacher. It's a good scenario.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #4922
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Awesome news about Clay's job.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #4923
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
The boss (owner) is personal friends with Clay's welding teacher. It's a good scenario.
Awesome!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #4924
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That's good news, Scott! Other than building a plasma table, what other types of welding jobs will he be doing? In-house fabrications for the company's facility? Or do they manufacture, as well as sell metals? I guess I'm asking what type of business it is.

I'm excited to hear stories of people carrying on the metal trades, which is slowly dying. Hopefully it will have a rebirth in this country. The facility I work at has about 2300 people working there, and they plan on growing to over 6000 people within the next 10 years. Welders make up a large percentage of the population.

Best of luck to Clay!!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #4925
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Congrats to clay! It's a great feeling nailing down a job in a skill you took the time and energy to learn!
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #4926
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It is just a metal yard. The building and business is an old one. The guy has been here since before dirt! He stocks all kinds of metals and does custom cutting, bending, fabricating. Usually on a commercial scale. He doesn't typically employ welders, although he once did. Liability caused him to get out of the welding portion of the industry. I think Clay will be repairing equipment under the owner's supervision, beginning with the plasma table. Clay will probably also learn how to operate the shears and rollers/benders, but it is just summer work. Just the same, Clay is very excited, and if he does a good job the man's resource will be invaluable to Clay. It's a start for him.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #4927
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Congrats to Clay, I'm sure this will be a good learning experiance for Him.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #4928
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That sounds real good, especially if he learns to use the fabrication equipment. That opportunity doesn't come along that often.

Plus, that owner must know lots of people in the industry that he can refer Clay to once the summer's over. I'm pulling for Clay!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #4929
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I feel like we are moving forward, finally, on Clay's engine swap. Although I am making the same mistake again, I just don't have the time to do this swap correctly. We should be cranking it up out of the Jeep. We should be installing some new gaskets and checking things like freeze plugs. But I'm told it is a good running engine, so I'm going on faith. The plan is to install it as far as we can then take it to our mechanic to button it up. Here are the pics of today's achievement!

Missing the hood.

Clay digging out the dirt to fit a bucket to catch the coolant.

Clay's buddy Sam is talking to the Jeep, trying to make it cooperate! Sam was excellent help today.

This early in the work, and everybody was feeling good! Sam jumped right in.

Buddies working together.

Clay disemboweling his CJ!

Using my little tractor to hoist the engine.

Engine parts removed.

Notice the oil in the exhaust ports!! This engine was blowing oil everywhere. It did not smoke, however. Also, notice the freeze plug. It had been leaking. We would have had to rebuild this engine soon anyway.

Engine is separated.

Once we had everything cut loose it came right out.

Getting ready to swap components from the 258 to the 4.0. We found Clay's water pump was going out. He is at the parts store right now!

Ugly Jeep! Seems not so long ago that we were at this point.

Shop full of Jeep parts... again!

So we are moving forward, or we have the appearance of moving forward. At least we are working instead of just looking at it everyday!

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #4930
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

What Clay is learning for this will stay with him the rest of his time. The memories will last forever. I remember the first engine my Dad and I pulled. We borrowed the neighbors Cat 966 wheel loader. Dad has pictures , on colored slides, taken with the Nikon SLR he bought in Korea in '52. Hey, it was 1971!

Great memories!

Way to go Clay and Co.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #4931
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
What Clay is learning for this will stay with him the rest of his time. The memories will last forever.

Great memories!

Way to go Clay and Co.

Bill

Exactly! Keep moving forward!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #4932
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Congrats to Clay on the job! Your making good progress on the jeep!
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #4933
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Ya'll'll have it back together in no time! Looks good fellas.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #4934
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay started his new job yesterday, had a GREAT day, worked on several machines, shadowed the owner, bent steel, sheered steel, welded steel, stacked steel, deburred steel, fabbed steel, came home black as a..., well just black! Great day for him. He was very tired and smiling!

Today, I am working in his stead. Looking back a few days ago, when Clay was attempting to mount up his clutch set and flywheel, he broke off a bolt in the flywheel. Leave it to rookie teenage youthful hardheadedness, and maybe throw in some ignorance and the "I know what I'm doing" attitude! So the Old Man fixed his flywheel. I have to admit that I was comforted by the wise and knowing words of Jim Crabtree, whom I spoke with at length. With confidence, I threw the brand-spanking new flywheel up on the table, eye-balled the center-punch, transferred it to the drillpress, flipped it over and drilled from the back, and the bolt unscrewed itself! HALELEUAH!!! Thank you, Jesus! And Jim!

With so much success starting off my day, I decided to change out the rear freeze plugs in the 4.0. One of them had been done, so I thought maybe the others OUGHT to be done. Since these are in the back of the engine, and would be a moderate PITA to change after installation of the ripping 4.0, discretion teased me into making the improvement. So, without further ado... tap one edge of the freeze plug into the block, popping out the opposite edge, and pull it out with pliers. Easy. Schmeezy.

The two "bad" plugs I removed. They aren't so bad afterall. Could have left them there. Might have been the smart thing to do.

Since I bought the WRONG SIZE. Freakin' moron...

More to come, but I have to ride Lizzie back to town to see if I can come up with another freeze plug.

Unread 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #4935
1983 CJ7 

Sounds like excuses to ride around in your topless Jeep smiling at the women intead of "working" on the 4.0

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.