Clay's Build Thread - Page 315 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #4711
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I got mine at the local sewing/fabric store. A craft store may have it.

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #4712
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We are dealing with substantial leakage! NOW, I wish I HAD gone through the engine. I'm not sure, but I still believe it is leaking around the oil pan. If you remember, I had pulled it off to replace the RMS. Then, our mechanic pulled it off to install a new gasket, because that's where HE thought it was leaking. So its had TWO new 1-pc gaskets since we put it on the road. I don't think it ever got the RTV, though. The RMS does NOT seem to be leaking, and it's definitey NOT the valve cover (also new gasket and carefully sealed). Also, the steering gear box is leaking around the pittman arm shaft. That ain't good.

Clay told me last night that it suddenly began dumping oil. He went through a quart alone yesterday. I pulled it into the shop at 12:30, and by 3:30 I had pools on the concrete!! The bottom of the Jeep is virtually covered in oil. I can't describe the sense of disappointment I have after so much labor to make this Jeep nice. Ready to put it out of its misery

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #4713
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

PCV valve working okay?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #4714
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If I'm correct you gutted out the PCV valve right? I had an interesting read a few nights ago, and it stated that the purpose of the PCV valve is to close off when there is too much vacuum, so you don't create a vacuum in the crank case, which can be bad for seals. Probably not pertinent, just found it interesting.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #4715
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper the gasket you used was a Felpro? I like the Victor Reniz gasket since it has wide flanges that fit over the oil pan on the front and back and can not squish out which is probably what happened to you. You can get Victor Reniz from Car Quest BTW Victor Reniz is a Dana Corp sothier stuff is good.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #4716
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

I am going to go with your crank seal on the timing cover is suspect, oil will leak out of it, and get blown back by the fan.

My suggestion is yank the balancer and the timing cover, drop a new timing chain and crank seal, it will mean doing the pan again, but it will make it right.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #4717
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
The bottom of the Jeep is virtually covered in oil. I can't describe the sense of disappointment I have after so much labor to make this Jeep nice. Ready to put it out of its misery
Chin up high Scott. Yall did a top notch job on this Jeep and still should be VERY proud of what you did. Even more important are the memories and knowledge you shared with Clay on this.

This is just another one of those things to get though. Clean it up and find the leak. I know you can!

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #4718
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Chin up high Scott. Yall did a top notch job on this Jeep and still should be VERY proud of what you did. Even more important are the memories and knowledge you shared with Clay on this.

This is just another one of those things to get though. Clean it up and find the leak. I know you can!

Yes simple green is your friend!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
Unread 01-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #4719
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
PCV valve working okay?
Well... no. It ain't got one! Not really. It is hollow. I took it apart and gutted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojon View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. If I'm correct you gutted out the PCV valve right? I had an interesting read a few nights ago, and it stated that the purpose of the PCV valve is to close off when there is too much vacuum, so you don't create a vacuum in the crank case, which can be bad for seals. Probably not pertinent, just found it interesting.
You are correct. Now it is simply acting as a crankcase vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper the gasket you used was a Felpro? I like the Victor Reniz gasket since it has wide flanges that fit over the oil pan on the front and back and can not squish out which is probably what happened to you. You can get Victor Reniz from Car Quest BTW Victor Reniz is a Dana Corp sothier stuff is good.
Yep. Felpro... the blue 1-pc. I will look for the Victor gasket. No Carquests around here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I am going to go with your crank seal on the timing cover is suspect, oil will leak out of it, and get blown back by the fan.

My suggestion is yank the balancer and the timing cover, drop a new timing chain and crank seal, it will mean doing the pan again, but it will make it right.
This is very suspect as it has been leaking from the front of the pan since installing the gasket the first time, hence the reason I took it into a shop after finishing the build. Probably going here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post

Give me a hug! You know just what to say!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Yes simple green is your friend!
In stock!!

Thanks Guys.

BTW- I was notified by one of you about some kind of Malware attached to my post about the oil leaking. I hope there is nothing there, but apparently something WAS attached to it. It was sent to Admin for clean up, which they did, and I don't understand it, so beware. For piece of mind, I'M not doing it!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #4720
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

If you are leaking oil as the jeeps sits with the motor off, wouldn't that mean it would have to be your drain plug or a pinhole in the pan?? After all, that's where all the oil is when it's off.

Or is the puddle happening while its running?
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #4721
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
If you are leaking oil as the jeeps sits with the motor off, wouldn't that mean it would have to be your drain plug or a pinhole in the pan?? After all, that's where all the oil is when it's off.

Or is the puddle happening while its running?
Not necessarily oil will build up on things then drip down.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Unread 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #4722
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Don't give up now buddy you've come way too far!

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #4723
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It looks like a father and son engine build may be brewing.....

Good luck, Scott, the challenges make the rewards even sweeter.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #4724
1983 CJ7 

So drink a beer and throw the bottle caps into the neighbor's yard! My personal favorites are poached cats and shrimp heads, but that's not for everybody. Get some life going, Dude. I just learned tonight I need a new vacuum cleaner, and we wants a ride-on!
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #4725
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

For whatever reasons I have always wanted to put a 4.3 in a CJ. I have plans to do that to my 7. I got to thinking I would do that on Clay's 5 as well. My local JY quoted me $250 for a running 4.3 and $250 for a 4X4 5-speed tranny. I'm pretty sure the 5-speed won't fit a 5 (although I will research it), and worst case scenario I bolt one up to the T18. Which means an adaptor, which is, what... another $500?? MoC suggests installing a 4.0 from a JY Cherokee, but he also suggests pulling my 258 out of my 7 and installing it into Clay's Jeep. That would be the simplest thing to do. Then I could put the 4.3 in my 7 as planned. If I go that route then I'll do a complete rebuild on the 7 (which I WASN'T planning to do now). I have a lot to think about.

Choices, choices...

I degreased Clay's 5 earlier today with Purple Power. Sprayed it all over the place with my pump-up sprayer. Broke out the pressure washer only to find, after 18 years of faithful service, it has retired. So washed everything off with a nozzle and the garden hose. Not squeaky clean, but not dripping oil anymore. Started it up and ran it for 30 minutes. I have oil dripping from the front of the pan, and coming out of the dip stick tube. The pan leak is coming from between the pan and gasket. No idea WHY it's coming out of the tube! Pulled the PCV out the whole time it ran, venting into the atmosphere, so no pressure built up.

The front of the pan has a stripped bolt by the PO. Clay and I tapped it out to a larger size and tightened it down as far as we dare. That is where the leak appears to be.

After removing the PCV from the valve cover I have a TON of blowby. White smoke comes out of the hole in quantity. No smoke out the tailpipe that I can see, however.

WhatdoIdo?WhatdoIdo?WhatdoIdo?

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.