Clay's Build Thread - Page 313 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #4681
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great pics, Skipper!!!! And that Jeep looks goooooood.

Ken, that is a GREAT idea using threads for that heavy one-piece FelPro. Why do you raise the engine? Ive never had clearance issues (aside from unbolting the exhaust at the flange on the 258) with oil pans on any of my Jeeps over the years. I replaced the pan gasket on the Wrongler a couple of weeks back, and "tried" to use the one piece model. Kept falling off into the pan. I got frustrated, wadded that puppy up and threw it in the trash. Put a standard 4 piece on with red RTV and it's dry as a bone. Wish I'd seen the thread idea before sending that nice gasket to the city dump.

82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #4682
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Most of us can't remove the oil pan on a CJ/258 because the pass motor mount gets in the way. You have to remove it to get the pan out. Good to hear from you Pman. Don't be such a stranger.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #4683
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Most of us can't remove the oil pan on a CJ/258 because the pass motor mount gets in the way. You have to remove it to get the pan out.
Ahh!! Now that makes sense. I guess I've lucked out on my motor/models over the years! I've been in deer hunting mode over the past few months, and have neglected the forum Glad to see you're still over here stirring the pot!

What happened to Montana? I got back from my elk trip two weeks ago. Now I know why you were itchin' to move! That place will ruin a man. We saw loads of elk, but got stingy early and passed up small bulls in hope of something bigger. I did use one tag on day one with this young mule deer. This is a baby compared to the one's Matt and the other western boys shoot, but I wanted to fill my muley tag first.

82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #4684
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Ahh!! Now that makes sense. I guess I've lucked out on my motor/models over the years! I've been in deer hunting mode over the past few months, and have neglected the forum Glad to see you're still over here stirring the pot!

What happened to Montana? I got back from my elk trip two weeks ago. Now I know why you were itchin' to move! That place will ruin a man. We saw loads of elk, but got stingy early and passed up small bulls in hope of something bigger. I did use one tag on day one with this young mule deer. This is a baby compared to the one's Matt and the other western boys shoot, but I wanted to fill my muley tag first.

Ahhh... that explains a lot. No more pics of the hunt? Did you get an Elk? I think the Mulie is awesome, having never seen one!

I didn't get the Montana job. They wanted someone with teaching experience, but I did make it through two interviews. Kind of glad... I was worried about separating from my family, moving, and trying to sell this big'ol house in podunk land!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #4685
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay and I were attempting to install the soft doors on his Jeep as the weather is getting a bit nippy (28* is our low so far)! Since we don't have any experience with installation, everything is a frist-time. We knew (we THOUGHT we knew) we would have to change the WS angle to fit the door uppers. And I thought, "Cool, guaranteed to have the correct WS angle." But what a HUGE PITB this has been! I guess we knew it would be difficult, and that's why we have waited so long to do the install. We had to mount the lower hinges (Kentrol black SS). We hung the door on the upper hinge, closed the door, marked the location for the lower, drilled, and bolted it up. Bending the door pins to make it fit better, making sure the gasket sealed around the door opening, these are the things that drove us in our installation. Shoulda worked! Here are the pics of our progress.

It's all good...

Freakin Jeeps.

Remember this?

Pencil marks the spots.

Drilling fiberglass with a slow drill speed is BETTER than drilling fast! Something NEW I learned.

Looks good from a distance. The door was hard to close. It would bind on the weatherstrip just under the hinge. The PO had bent the pins outward for his application. We needed to bend the pins inward.

This is the gap we ended up with. The door sealed everywhere else quite well. We are wondering, at this point, what our WS angle is going to be. We also wanted to move the door forward some, so we bent the pin.

And cracked it!

Just a *Progress* pic to make it look like we are actually accomplishing something GOOD!

This is the gap at the top. The WS frame is pretty much touching the A Pillar. I told Clay we were going to have to remove the cage, and he just about died! Just kidding, of course!!! Sorrry Clay! I don't see any other way to bend, change, modify the steel in the door to make it fit properly to the WS channel. We are talking about getting some 3/8 round stock and bending our own uppers, then a sail shop. Whadyallthink!?

Why didn't I fall in love with F150s? I mean, I have TWO of them right now! I could have nice, heavy doors with great weather seal characteristics, comfortable seats, premium sound system, smooth ride, and room for... for... whatever!

Unread 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #4686
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the fun in having an F150 that is easy to work on??? I miss working on my 5, but it's nice driving my TJ... but at least it's still a jeep!!! Keep up the good work!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #4687
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
...Why didn't I fall in love with F150s? I mean, I have TWO of them right now!
Hang on to them for another 25 years, then you can start rebuilding them.
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #4688
gopbobby
1982 CJ7 

You mean FC-150 Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
gopbobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #4689
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

How it the fit of the rear of the door to the top? I have to tweak my doors occasionally to get them to fit right some times after stacking them in the back seat area on those warm days with cold nights. I just grab the top of the door and pull it forward towards the windshield frame.

That does look like quite a gap though, and the measurement from the back of the tub to the windshield flange should set the proper angle for the doors.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #4690
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Where is the fun in having an F150 that is easy to work on??? I miss working on my 5, but it's nice driving my TJ... but at least it's still a jeep!!! Keep up the good work!!!
Keep rubbing it in Bill! Some day I WILL drive a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Normally, your actions/comments are the basis for successful endeavors, but I don't see it here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopbobby View Post
You mean FC-150 Right
I would trade ALL my Jeeps for one in good condition! I would LOVE to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
How it the fit of the rear of the door to the top? I have to tweak my doors occasionally to get them to fit right some times after stacking them in the back seat area on those warm days with cold nights. I just grab the top of the door and pull it forward towards the windshield frame.

That does look like quite a gap though, and the measurement from the back of the tub to the windshield flange should set the proper angle for the doors.
Chalk it up to Newbness! I set the windshield angle according to my 7 (using a T Bevel Square), then we installed the cage. Unless I have missed the boat with the doors, it is apparent I didnt get the WS angle right, hence the A Pillar isn't right. We haven't raised the top yet to see what the fitment is like at that point... I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst! It's still the coolest ride in my part of town! I have a couple ideas for mods to make it where Clay can use it during the winter. I just have to explore them some.

Unread 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #4691
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Chalk it up to Newbness! I set the windshield angle according to my 7 (using a T Bevel Square), then we installed the cage. Unless I have missed the boat with the doors, it is apparent I didnt get the WS angle right, hence the A Pillar isn't right. We haven't raised the top yet to see what the fitment is like at that point... I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst! It's still the coolest ride in my part of town! I have a couple ideas for mods to make it where Clay can use it during the winter. I just have to explore them some.
I have no doubt that it IS the coolest ride in town....but why would Clayton take the van to town??
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #4692
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

With some careful grinding you will be able to free the main hoop in the front there from the forward bars. My suggestion is at the dash level take a 3/32" wafer disc and make a cut through 95% of the tube leaving a bit at the front, bed it back, then use the wafer disc to clearance out the cut again until you have it bent back far enough, then cut open the groove one more time and weld it shut to ensure good penetration. before you make that weld however you need to measure how far back you are moving the main hoop, and then cut back and notch the cross tubes, you will want them tacked in place before you weld it all up.

It is a bit of an involved job but it is something that you should be able to knock out in a few days. It will jack up the paint on the roll bar, but I think in the long run you will be much better served by fixing it "right" like this so as that in the future if Clay needs to buy a new top, he can simply order a bestop from Quadratec or who ever and install it with out having to have something custom made.

The reason for this is what if he for what ever reason winds up away from home in his jeep and needs a top in a hurry, like say a vandal cuts it open, or a tree branch rips it open and the whether is bad. Being able to have a new top overnighted is a nice option verses having to find someone to custom make you one. Especially if it is raining and he has to drive a long distance home.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #4693
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
I have no doubt that it IS the coolest ride in town....but why would Clayton take the van to town??
His mother is very protective of her baby, and she doesn't want him catching cold. So he drives the van in inclement weather. BUT NOT ANYMORE!!! HAHAHA HA HA HAHAHAHA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
With some careful grinding you will be able to free the main hoop in the front there from the forward bars. My suggestion is at the dash level take a 3/32" wafer disc and make a cut through 95% of the tube leaving a bit at the front, bed it back, then use the wafer disc to clearance out the cut again until you have it bent back far enough, then cut open the groove one more time and weld it shut to ensure good penetration. before you make that weld however you need to measure how far back you are moving the main hoop, and then cut back and notch the cross tubes, you will want them tacked in place before you weld it all up.

It is a bit of an involved job but it is something that you should be able to knock out in a few days. It will jack up the paint on the roll bar, but I think in the long run you will be much better served by fixing it "right" like this so as that in the future if Clay needs to buy a new top, he can simply order a bestop from Quadratec or who ever and install it with out having to have something custom made.

The reason for this is what if he for what ever reason winds up away from home in his jeep and needs a top in a hurry, like say a vandal cuts it open, or a tree branch rips it open and the whether is bad. Being able to have a new top overnighted is a nice option verses having to find someone to custom make you one. Especially if it is raining and he has to drive a long distance home.
That is a significantly labor-intensive job, but one that COULD be necessary down the road. The overhead spreader bars would also have to be cut to move the A pillar back. Hoowee... I don't even want to THINK about it! We continued working on it this morning, and this is what we came up with...

Pretty much finished the top install. There is a little tweaking we will do, but I think it is good enough. I took a couple shots in monochrome. I think it came out pretty cool!
cimg0272_1.jpg   cimg0270_1.jpg  

Unread 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #4694
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

You know for a temporary fix you could use some two sided tape to mount a piece of thin metal or plastic in there just to fill the gap to make the door seal to the windshield until you are able to do the big job of fixing the roll cage right.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #4695
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Glad you were able to get the top on "mostly". Sorry to hear about the roll cage issue, that's a lot of work just to do it once. I would hate to think you would have to do it again.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.