Clay's Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #31
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I like the red, silver, black paint scheme. Looks great.

Unread 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #32
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I should make a note that I was unable to turn the motor. Should I pull harder???

Thanks Guys...
I saw you note that it wouldn't turn over but thought after adding the oil you might be able to get it to break loose. Another option is to bolt up the trans and starter and jump it to a battery to see if that will break it loose. If it is completey rusted solid you're going to have to pull the head anyway.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #33
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay is applying the finishing touches to his intake. The exhaust manifold is already done, but in black. For some reason I can't wait to get these parts bolted back up. I ordered a gasket set last night from Morris. I keep picturing Dave's frame pics and remembering how good the frame/engine combo looks. That is my goal. I don't think I am going to repaint the power steering pump. It should be done to stay strict with the finish, but I'm worried about taking it apart. I can take anything apart, but I sometimes have trouble putting back together!!
intake-paint_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #34
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
... While spraying through the straw into the cylinder the straw flew off and went INSIDE THE CYLINDER! Now what do I do?? Do I HAVE to pull the head? I was not planning to do all that. CRAP! Need help...
Could you try turning the engine until the piston pushes the straw up higher? I know the whole point of all this was to get the engine turning.

That would make the chamber smaller and might make it easier to get the straw out.

If you can get the straw in a position where you can see it, you can use a $10 dodad used to retrieve stuff from small spaces. I don't know what they're called, but they're usually a long flexible metal tube with a metal grappler on the end. You use a spring-loaded push-button on the othe end to open and close the grappler. Cheap and low-tech.
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I saw you note that it wouldn't turn over but thought after adding the oil you might be able to get it to break loose. Another option is to bolt up the trans and starter and jump it to a battery to see if that will break it loose. If it is completey rusted solid you're going to have to pull the head anyway.
The bellhousing is still attached to the block (more on that later) so I can bolt the starter back up... good idea if I can't do it by hand. I'll try again tomorrow after the Blaster sits all night. Worried I might catch the straw in a valve though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Could you try turning the engine until the piston pushes the straw up higher? I know the whole point of all this was to get the engine turning.

That would make the chamber smaller and might make it easier to get the straw out.

If you can get the straw in a position where you can see it, you can use a $10 dodad used to retrieve stuff from small spaces. I don't know what they're called, but they're usually a long flexible metal tube with a metal grappler on the end. You use a spring-loaded push-button on the othe end to open and close the grappler. Cheap and low-tech.
If I can turn the engine until that piston is at the top (as mentioned), it is possible I may be able to see the straw. The "grappler" is a great idea and I know exactly what you're talking about. And Clay LOVES Doodads!! That would probably do the trick. Thanks, Ken.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #36
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
If you can get the straw in a position where you can see it, you can use a $10 dodad used to retrieve stuff from small spaces. I don't know what they're called, but they're usually a long flexible metal tube with a metal grappler on the end. You use a spring-loaded push-button on the othe end to open and close the grappler.
Duh. I have one of those. Why didn't I think of that?

Sometimes we make things more complicated than they need to be.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #37
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Duh. I have one of those. Why didn't I think of that?

Sometimes we make things more complicated than they need to be.
Guess I'm off the hook with the drinking straw and fishhook!

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #38
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

The benefit of the vacuum method is that if you use a plastic vac tube, you don't risk scoring the cylinder walls.
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #39
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Clay degreasing the block with a spray bottle of Purple Power. This stuff will do strange things to your skin, so wear gloves!

I think I got excited and shot the black to the head and valve cover already. Clay is masking off those areas in prep for the silver. All my life (nearly 50) I have wanted to do this. It is finally happening. Thanks, Clay.

Tape!! Is Our Friend! It can do ALL things! I like tape...

Clay shooting the Rustoleum. It is Aluminum high-temp paint. It is NOT the same as the metallic on the tranny. We'll see how close they come when they are joined.

Voila!
if you find that those latex gloves dissolve with Purple Power like mine did, you can get away with the blue colored Nitrile gloves with no damage! But maybe its just me, I have ten gallons of straight purple power in my parts washer.
featured is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #40
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by featured View Post
if you find that those latex gloves dissolve with Purple Power like mine did, you can get away with the blue colored Nitrile gloves with no damage! But maybe its just me, I have ten gallons of straight purple power in my parts washer.
Funny you should mention that! The Latex gloves definitely disappear after a few minutes. Earlier, I was degreasing the intake manifold. It was crusty with carbon. I kept checking the gloves but they looked alright, just super black with crud. When I pulled them off I discovered that I had been looking at my fingertips, all black with the crud. Thought it was the gloves!

How does the PP compare to regular solvent in your parts washer? How long does it last? I have a friend with a bike shop and Safety-Kleen wants a contract to change it every 3 months. He is looking for alternatives.

Unread 07-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #41
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Funny you should mention that! The Latex gloves definitely disappear after a few minutes. Earlier, I was degreasing the intake manifold. It was crusty with carbon. I kept checking the gloves but they looked alright, just super black with crud. When I pulled them off I discovered that I had been looking at my fingertips, all black with the crud. Thought it was the gloves!

How does the PP compare to regular solvent in your parts washer? How long does it last? I have a friend with a bike shop and Safety-Kleen wants a contract to change it every 3 months. He is looking for alternatives.
I have to admit this is the first parts washer I ever used and I don't even know if i`m doing it right. I generally just aim the nozzle on the part and let it run for hours or over night to loosen up some grease, then I scrub the crap out of it with either a"solvent proof" brush or a brass bristle brush depending on what i`m cleaning, then if I get tired of dealing with it I let it run some more. I got the purple power & brushes at walmart for cheap - then got the nitrile gloves at Autozone for like $14 a box - kind of a rip off but every now and then I use them rather than getting my hands dirty and its worth every penny.

So, let me know how the Safety-Kleen works and i`ll let you know if the purple power works similarly.
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #42
featured
1985 CJ7 

I should add that I forgot my output aluminum housing from the dana 300 in there for a weekend and it came out looking like a brand new casting.
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #43
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
The bellhousing is still attached to the block (more on that later) so I can bolt the starter back up... good idea if I can't do it by hand.
Scott,

Be sure to pull all six spark plugs before trying to turn the engine by hand. I use a 24" breaker bar and socket and it still takes a little effort. I agree that you can rotate the engine to push the piston up and get the straw out.

What is the condition of the motor?

Was it previously running or sitting?
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #44
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Scott,

Be sure to pull all six spark plugs before trying to turn the engine by hand. I use a 24" breaker bar and socket and it still takes a little effort. I agree that you can rotate the engine to push the piston up and get the straw out.

What is the condition of the motor?

Was it previously running or sitting?
Good Morning, Dave. Yes, the engine ran very well before I pulled it... smooth and quiet. I am concerned about the rust in the intake ports on the block and manifold though. Thanks for the tip on the breaker bar. I'll use mine when I get home from work. All 6 plugs are pulled.

Ya'll have a good day!

Unread 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #45
geochaf1

1984 CJ7 

The cool thing about following your build with your son is that it reminds me that I learned a lot from my father working on stuff in the barn for all those years. Now that I am working on my own Jeep things that he taught me are coming back to me all the time. We talk on the phone and I still run ideas by him to make sure I am not about to do something stupid!
geochaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.