Clay's Build Thread - Page 285 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Clay's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #4261
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Clay's Jeep is "going to town" Tuesday morning.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #4262
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Lots going on...

Need help/opinions with these following items.

First pic... driveshaft. How do I solve the issue of the driveshaft "thing" from separating from the other thing? What is it, a dust cover?

Second set of pics... oil everywhere! I installed a one-piece oil pan gasket and new RMS. Looks like it's leaking from both! Valve cover is dry. This is after 3 or 4 trips down the road

Third set of pics... confirm how I am planning to install the harness. Planning to bolt ends to the cage tubing, about where you see them.
img_1578_1.jpg   img_1581_1.jpg   img_1582_1.jpg   img_1583_1.jpg   img_1584_1.jpg  

img_1585_1.jpg   img_1588_1.jpg   img_1586_1.jpg   img_1587_1.jpg   img_1589_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #4263
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Other things going on...

While driving down the road (had her up to 55- WOOHOO!) I am hearing a rattling when I let off the gas. Sounds transmissiony, or drive shafty! Everything is full of oil. Both Tcase and tranny were pro rebuilt. The things NOT done by a pro are MY rearend and MY shortened DS! The U-joints are new. No up and down slop in the DS. I CAN move the DS maybe a 1/16 at the pinion shaft. So the pinion moves up and down by that much. Did I not set it up correctly? I was very careful about it, but maybe I blew it??? No roaring or vibrations of any kind.

Still a bit of squirreliness in the front end, even with THE NEW WHEELS AND TIRES INSTALLED! Yes... they are installed. Wanna see 'em?? Handles MUCH better however.

Unread 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #4264
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh yeah... you wanted to see the new wheels and tires installed. Forgot! Wish they were bigger! When these give out we will go with 16" aluminum wheels and probably some Nittos.

Several pics in case you didn't get to see it well enough on the first gander! The tires look dinky!
img_1574_1.jpg   img_1575_1.jpg   img_1576_1.jpg   img_1577_1.jpg  

Unread 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #4265
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Looks great!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #4266
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

image-1082573498.jpg

Drive shaft, did you try bending the tabs down? Yes it's basically a dirt/dust shield. Its possible it's thin from rust.

Oil leak, it doesn't appear to be the RMS, the oil is coming from to far toward. Did you reinstall or put a new gasket under the distributor after the pre-lube? Check there.

There should be NO movement of the yoke at the pinion, except rotational.

Bigger tires, these look good. The flares will help fill the gap by 2" or more.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #4267
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The shoulder harness,

image-1849423403.jpg

image-1105253587.jpg
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #4268
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I like I like. If you leave the tires that size, you can work on getting more flex , but I'm a rock guy (not my fault, its all we have here) so flex is always on my mind.

Bill's right about the DS dust shield. just take a punch (or flat screwdriver) and punch those tabs into the groove in the "other" piece.

My CJ5 rattles when I have the throttle right in between coast and drive, it comes from the t-case (I can feel the shifters rattling). I think its because my drivelines are out of phase by about 5 degrees which causes the yolk to speed up and slow down slightly as the driveline turns which rattles the t-case splines thanks to backlash. I don't feel it under coast or load.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #4269
1983 CJ7 

Wow, just wow..........Clay, have you hugged your parents today???

Yes, I know you busted your tail on the Jeep and you should be proud too....have you hugged your parents today

I think the tire size is perfect

Unread 09-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #4270
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

New shoes look great! You should not be able to move that pinion yoke up and down by hand. Something is not right there. I agree with Bill the oil leak appears to be more forward. If it was the RMS, I don't think you would throw oil that far forward. How was the pan mounting surface? Did you dab some RTV in the corners of the transitions? How does the timing chain gasket look? You said you get a rattle when you let off the gas but no vibration? I have a DS from my 7 with a TF999 that I do not plan to use, it might be short enough for your use? I plan to use a DC shaft. If you give me a measurement and it matches it is yours.

P
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #4271
Brent58_5
1958 CJ5 

I've been following your thread for a couple months, trying to work up the courage to start my rebuild. Clays Jeep has come along way and you both should be extremely proud. I hope Clay knows how lucky he is to have a father like you and a jeep like that. Nice work!
Brent58_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #4272
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Looks great!
Thanks, Gido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Attachment 476453

Drive shaft, did you try bending the tabs down? Yes it's basically a dirt/dust shield. Its possible it's thin from rust.

Oil leak, it doesn't appear to be the RMS, the oil is coming from to far toward. Did you reinstall or put a new gasket under the distributor after the pre-lube? Check there.

There should be NO movement of the yoke at the pinion, except rotational.

Bigger tires, these look good. The flares will help fill the gap by 2" or more.

Bill
The DS tabs are broken off. Theyz ain't none. Yep, the dizzy has a gasket, per your earlier instructions. Flares are painted and awaiting their turn for install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
The shoulder harness,

Attachment 476465

Attachment 476466
Oh heck... I didn't even think about the intructions in the box!! DUH! Thanks again, Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
I like I like. If you leave the tires that size, you can work on getting more flex , but I'm a rock guy (not my fault, its all we have here) so flex is always on my mind.

Bill's right about the DS dust shield. just take a punch (or flat screwdriver) and punch those tabs into the groove in the "other" piece.

My CJ5 rattles when I have the throttle right in between coast and drive, it comes from the t-case (I can feel the shifters rattling). I think its because my drivelines are out of phase by about 5 degrees which causes the yolk to speed up and slow down slightly as the driveline turns which rattles the t-case splines thanks to backlash. I don't feel it under coast or load.
I think the rattling is coming from the pinion shaft. It only does it when I let off the gas. Better check my preload. Do you think I have already ruined the races/bearings?

What's a rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Wow, just wow..........Clay, have you hugged your parents today???

Yes, I know you busted your tail on the Jeep and you should be proud too....have you hugged your parents today

I think the tire size is perfect

Thanks, Dave. And, yes, he hugs me every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
New shoes look great! You should not be able to move that pinion yoke up and down by hand. Something is not right there. I agree with Bill the oil leak appears to be more forward. If it was the RMS, I don't think you would throw oil that far forward. How was the pan mounting surface? Did you dab some RTV in the corners of the transitions? How does the timing chain gasket look? You said you get a rattle when you let off the gas but no vibration? I have a DS from my 7 with a TF999 that I do not plan to use, it might be short enough for your use? I plan to use a DC shaft. If you give me a measurement and it matches it is yours.

P
Pan mounting surface was scraped, washed clean, and wiped with Prep All. For the life of me, I cannot remember if I used RTV on the gasket. I THINK I did, but not sure. Mounting surface was alright, but we had one stripped bolt that Clay chased and used a longer one one to get into new threads. It seemed tighten down alright, but it is in the very front. I'll have look at it tomorrow. I never looked at the timing chain gasket... is that an oops??

Hold on to your DS for now, Paul, and I thank you. I believe ours is alright.

What would you do with up/down pinion play?

Unread 09-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #4273
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

We have a serious day planned for tomorrow. You're thinking "What's he gonna do to the Jeep tomorrow? I can't wait!" Nothing. We're doing nearly nothing tomorrow on the Jeep. "What could be more serious than working on your Jeep"? Well... let me 'splain it to ya. We are going to host the Annual North Florida Redneck's AirSoft Battle of the Century... or, also known as "Hey Clem, Git Chyore Gun and Foller Me". Lots of little kids and a few BIG kids. Here are my Jeep troops making the targets for the walking course. Gonna be fun...
img_1572_1.jpg  

Unread 09-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #4274
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Tires look great! I think they are good at that size sir!
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #4275
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent58_5 View Post
I've been following your thread for a couple months, trying to work up the courage to start my rebuild. Clays Jeep has come along way and you both should be extremely proud. I hope Clay knows how lucky he is to have a father like you and a jeep like that. Nice work!
I am totally honored to have you visit this thread Brent. Thank you very much. The biggest aspect of rebuilding a Jeep is a true desire to do it. It doesn't matter what you do or do not know. That's what this Forum is all about. You see all of these guys that post up comments?? They are all my best friends, and I have only physically met two of them! I think that is utterly amazing. Start your build. Do it because you're serious about it. Stick to it. Post up your questions. You'll make friends too, and they will help you along the way.

Blessings, Bro...

Tags
1979 , cj5 , fiberglass , rollcage , tailgate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.